MechWarrior 5 config file

Moderator: AdminGroup

CMDR_Harada

MechWarrior 5 config file

Postby CMDR_Harada » Sat Dec 14, 2019 9:19

If anyone wants/needs a good reference for Mechwarrior 5 HOTAS setup, I got it working with my Gladiator II / SCG handle. I had to manually rebuild the HOTAS file by hand.

There was a guide that showed how to get it working, but you had a load a bunch of other programs and drivers. According to the page you had to load a virtual joystick program that MW5 could read, and then map the unrecognized joystick to that, and then map the virtual joystick inside MW5 like you normally would. I found a way around that, so MW5 reads it directly.

Link to file that helped avoid the virtual joystick :
https://static.mw5mercs.com/docs/MW5Hot ... tation.pdf

WARNING : This was a major pain in the backside. It seems the config file is very sensitive to spaces and line feeds.

File attached, rename to HOTASMappings.Remap and drop in the right folder.
Attachments
HOTASMappings-Remap.doc
(2.33 KiB) Downloaded 613 times

will

Re: MechWarrior 5 config file

Postby will » Thu Dec 26, 2019 20:01

I started on mine, and kept running into problems with the axes getting stuck/stopped responding. I ended up leaving the HOTAS file very generic (just the list of buttons), and then using Joystick Gremlin for mapping the axes. Even with the additional trouble of getting Gremlin (and vjoy) installed, it was still easier to setup (and continue to tweak and configure) than that HOTAS file (you are not kidding that it's a major pain in the backside). It's just as well I went the Gremlin route, as it gives me a way to setup some more complicated mappings as well (macros for "F1 F1" and etc).

Caillin

Postby Caillin » Thu Dec 26, 2019 23:35

Yeah, I couldn't get any of the hat directions on my KG12 other than up to register by using the file, even triple checking for spaces and other potential formatting issues.

Orian

Postby Orian » Tue Jul 13, 2021 3:55

Has anyone had any luck setting up a dual gladiator premium hosas config for mech5? Not sure how to do the hotasmapping file with 2 identical joysticks (one left hand, one right hand). Any help would be much appreciated thank you!

fallout9

Postby fallout9 » Tue Jul 13, 2021 5:29

Just follow the walkthrough posted by CMDR_Harada, pretty straightforward. Unplug all USB devices and leave only one NXT so you could easily identify its VIP/PID, then do the same for the other one.

Orian

Postby Orian » Tue Jul 13, 2021 5:45

Thanks, but looking at this document: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1jjT ... 5h6dlech56
Won't the vid & pid be identical since the sticks are identical?

edit: covered by this in the document

Because the HOTASMapping.Remap file identifies hardware based on vendor and product IDs, it is not currently possible to use two identical joysticks in a HOSAS configuration without third-party software. Assuming you are not using the hardware's accompanying app, the most elegant solution is to map one or both joysticks to a vJoy controller and add the latter to your config file.

Is there such software for these sticks? Or stick with vjoy?

VTMarik

Postby VTMarik » Tue Jan 18, 2022 20:30

Does anyone know how to add the THQ and SEM buttons/axes to this document? It can see the NXT now thanks to it but with the THQ and SEM out I really want to expand my options.

Return to “General discussions”