Product question

Moderator: AdminGroup

kosta

Product question

Postby kosta » Sun Oct 13, 2019 20:30

Is there going to be a twist adapter for Warthog stick? - to attach a F16/F18 Stick to a Gunfighter MK.II Rev.A base and additionally get a twist?

ddrake1984

Re: Product question

Postby ddrake1984 » Sat Oct 19, 2019 5:53

it is unlikely as this would require engineering for another stick manufacturer that has different tolerences and it would then put VKB on the hook for support if something broke.
I am not speaking for VKB, however I have some experience with things like this.

it's similar to asking for Roll-Royce to produce a part that should fit in Toyota and function properly without fail.

kosta

Postby kosta » Sat Oct 19, 2019 15:36

Thought so. Thanks.

I'm currently quite annoyed because I don't know which route to go.
I have this awesome stick that I love, but no throttle. I had expected VKB to come out with the throttle, but as of now, it is quite probable I will buy Virpil TQ as soon as it's available.
Another option was TM Warthog, using TM stick, but why did I then get the VKB... so, there's that.

rtrski

Postby rtrski » Sat Oct 19, 2019 15:59

Parse it out logically.
  • What do you already have, if anything, that you want to keep/adapt?
  • What is the final setup you want (e.g. center stick, left throttle, pedals; or LH and RH Stick both with twist, no pedals; etc...)
  • What game style/type? Space vs. aircraft (6DOF vs. aerodynamic flight)? Do you care about strong levels of realism or will map how you want, etc?
  • What is important to you such as fully hands-on (few base controls), VR (LEDs don't matter much but tactile "feel" differences to identify buttons do), etc.

Maybe we can offer ideas. But as this is VKB's forum, maybe some of that should be elsewhere if those ideas start trending away from them completely. reddit/r/hotas is a good place to get many points of view if you're not there already.
RH VKB GF Mk III + Modern Combat Grip *ULTIMATE* (12/17 GFII , upgraded), _powered_ deploy!
LH VKB GF Mk III + Kosmosima Prem (02/19 GFII, upgraded), *lateral* mounted
Feet: Slaw Viper RX Pedals [Sorry, VKB, too gorgeous]

kosta

Postby kosta » Sat Oct 19, 2019 21:23

I play flight simulators and space sims. Long X-fan, MS-FS series, E:D, currently contemplating X4, maybe Star Citizen at some point... so yes, both 6DOF and aerodynamic.
For FS, I have enough, even a yoke and 3 TQs. But those can't be used for space sims. So I need a TQ for space sim mostly.

I had a MS FF2, replaced it with VKB Gunfighter + Kosmosima -> would like to keep, it's (almost) everything I want from the stick, especially smooth on X/Y (twist is "meh") and low profile as a table-top.
Thought of getting TM WH Throttle, returned it because I didn't feel "at home" with almost any button... the tipping point was "named" switches and the overly complicated software.
Final setup is a good joystick (check) and a generally a throttle that feels good (I can reach most of the buttons comfortably) and has generic buttons (assignments in the sim, not necessarily in the software, that has to be launched previously). But configurable. I would like to be able to program the VKB stick, but the software is just way too complicated. So I just use it as default.

About mapping... I usually look for some examples or just play the game and configure as I go, how it makes sense to me.

Honestly, been thinking about VR lately. And I would also be ready to get me a Valve VR goggles (round €1000), if they "deliver" what I'm expecting - mind, I never tried ANY.
So yes, in that case I would need "hands-on". Using keyboard in such case is rather impractical, I'd guess.

rtrski

Postby rtrski » Sat Nov 02, 2019 16:43

kosta wrote:I play flight simulators and space sims. Long X-fan, MS-FS series, E:D, currently contemplating X4, maybe Star Citizen at some point... so yes, both 6DOF and aerodynamic.
For FS, I have enough, even a yoke and 3 TQs. But those can't be used for space sims. So I need a TQ for space sim mostly.

I had a MS FF2, replaced it with VKB Gunfighter + Kosmosima -> would like to keep, it's (almost) everything I want from the stick, especially smooth on X/Y (twist is "meh") and low profile as a table-top.
Thought of getting TM WH Throttle, returned it because I didn't feel "at home" with almost any button... the tipping point was "named" switches and the overly complicated software.
Final setup is a good joystick (check) and a generally a throttle that feels good (I can reach most of the buttons comfortably) and has generic buttons (assignments in the sim, not necessarily in the software, that has to be launched previously). But configurable. I would like to be able to program the VKB stick, but the software is just way too complicated. So I just use it as default.

About mapping... I usually look for some examples or just play the game and configure as I go, how it makes sense to me.

Honestly, been thinking about VR lately. And I would also be ready to get me a Valve VR goggles (round €1000), if they "deliver" what I'm expecting - mind, I never tried ANY.
So yes, in that case I would need "hands-on". Using keyboard in such case is rather impractical, I'd guess.

Sorry I never responded again. If you're set on a throttle, then out of current offerings (Nov 2019) you're basically limited to those options you probably already know, TM and a VKB competitor. If you don't make good use of the VKB software for the stick now (I only say that because you said it was too complicated - something else this board and also the reddit /r/hotas site would happily help with) then it might not matter much what you pick aside from feel. All your present throttle alternatives (well aside from perhaps the CH) are going to be actual quadrant rotators; the fact that the VKB TECS is eventually going to be a slide is a big discriminator if that's what you like the 'feel' of. But really...I guess I don't have much guidance for you if you don't want to even program the stick much (my own sideways LH Kosmo pseudothrottle approach would clearly be out of bed for you).

Oh and I also have the Valve Index. Love it. I had the original Vive and added the deluxe audio strap to it. The Vive graphics despite being LCD not OLED are night and day difference, extremely clear and crisp. I do pretty well with the 2 sticks (signature); once you get good muscle memory for your mappings there's zero difference to doing it in VR as in neither case do I ever need to release the grips. When I do go for something briefly on KB (e.g. manually typing a system name in the Elite: Dangerous galaxy map) I probably look like a moron groping for the keyboard outline, then feeling my way around to the 'home key' pips before I start. I did used to use an X56 throttle and I was similarly groping and counting for the right toggle on the base. Might be something to think about.
RH VKB GF Mk III + Modern Combat Grip *ULTIMATE* (12/17 GFII , upgraded), _powered_ deploy!
LH VKB GF Mk III + Kosmosima Prem (02/19 GFII, upgraded), *lateral* mounted
Feet: Slaw Viper RX Pedals [Sorry, VKB, too gorgeous]

Return to “General discussions”