MCG Pro: Handrest Problem While in Upper Most Position

Moderator: AdminGroup

Warpig

MCG Pro: Handrest Problem While in Upper Most Position

Postby Warpig » Sat Jun 08, 2019 6:51

I've just recently received my MCG Pro, and the first thing I want to say, is that it's a stellar grip. I'm very impressed!

My issue is with how the handrest is when in the upper most position. Because of its design, the upper position leaves the handrest in a way that the back end of it digs into my hand. This is especially noticeable during long sessions. A grip like this does not deserve to have such a nagging quality. I'm sure it's just an over-sight.

If I could offer a suggestion, it would be to design it so that it tapers down on the back edge, so it cannot dig into the hand. Or make a handrest that has a platform that is better angled for the upper positions. I really hope that VKB can take this into serious consideration. If you offered a re-designed handrest as an accessory, I would gladly purchase it.

Kind regards.
Last edited by Warpig on Sat Jun 08, 2019 9:32, edited 1 time in total.

fallout9

Re: MCG Pro: Handrest Problem While in Upper Most Position

Postby fallout9 » Sat Jun 08, 2019 7:13

That armrest is not to be adjusted if your palms are big or small, but depending on the angle of your arm when handling the stick. If you set up the armrest at the highest position it means that your elbow should be somewhere leveled with the top of the stick (depending how long your arms are though). If your elbow is lower than that (like leveled with the base, when using it from a desktop) you should lower the armrest. I saw some pictures with people keeping their sticks at the shoulder level and complaining the device is too big, too small or uncomfortable to handle - ridiculous.
From my experience the most comfortable approach is when my arm and palm are on a straight line coming at a 90 degrees angle at the stick.

LE - I obviously meant 'handrest', not 'armrest'.
Last edited by fallout9 on Sun Jun 09, 2019 4:04, edited 1 time in total.

Warpig

Postby Warpig » Sat Jun 08, 2019 9:26

Armrest to handrest height is not the issue. This is not an irregular desk or chair height by any means, and my stick is not at shoulder level.

The issue is caused by the pivot design of the handrest itself. It is more appropriately setup to be flat while the handrest is in the lower positions. While in the upper positions, the side effect of using a pivot design does not lend itself well to keep the handrest flat. This could be fixed with a handrest that is designed to be flat in the upper angles, as opposed to the lower ones.

And as far as I'm aware, the handrest is to adjust to the size of your hand to allow it to reach the buttons. Not the angle of your arm. The relationship of my armrest to handrest height is fine (This is a desktop stick afterall). My Black Mamba was as comfortable as can be. And that was because it had a flat handrest. The MCG Pro does not sit much higher (if any) than my Black Mamba did.

Sokol1

Postby Sokol1 » Sat Jun 08, 2019 22:00

This palm rest is "inspired" in F-35 stick palm rest - used too in Aermacchi M-346 weapons system controller - in an F-18 like grip. But in both sticks are placed in plane at high of pilot arms at ~90º or with significant inclination forward (M-346), then the angle of palm rest became less issue.

But for desktop use the rear part of MCG palm rest could be adjust for became horizontal when in maximum height, at lower this part will be less used:

https://forum.il2sturmovik.ru/uploads/m ... 990728.jpg

AeroGator

Postby AeroGator » Sun Jun 09, 2019 3:24

I appreciate the feedback and thanks for good words about our product.
As it has been said above, there is a question of angle (I believe it is a core of the problem, although you might disagree).
This is not to say I'm discarding your suggestion - let us see what happens in future. We are continuously collecting feedback, and if many people bring our attention to the same issue we focus on it and do something about it.
Best Regards,
AeroGator

Return to “General discussions”