How complex is the software?

Moderator: AdminGroup

Auger

How complex is the software?

Postby Auger » Fri Mar 08, 2019 0:06

Wanting to upgrade my old X52 Pro but after looking over the manual for the VKB software, I'm feeling a bit overwhelmed.
Never had any problems using the Saitek SST program, and now the Logitech software to program my hotas, but the VKB software looks way beyond my skill level.

I realize this is not a plug and play device, but is it possible for the common man to setup and program buttons/switches on this stick without having a tech degree?

Just an old retired guy wanting to get some fight time in without too much hassle.

Thanks for advice.

rrohde

Re: How complex is the software?

Postby rrohde » Fri Mar 08, 2019 0:58

Auger wrote:on this stick

What stick are you referring to? There are several variants of Gunfighter or Gladiator series joysticks available.

Either way, if you want to do just the basics, i.e., unbox, calibrate, and fly, then calibration that's all you have to do then. For that, I would recommend VKB's WIZZO app. On the other hand, VKBdevCfg, whose manual you likely looked at, allows for much deeper customization far beyond calibration than most people would need.

Also, if you are looking at the Gladiator Mk.II, you don't even need software to calibrate it, as it has a non-software calibration mode built in.
VKB North America
https://VKBcontrollers.com

Auger

Postby Auger » Fri Mar 08, 2019 3:08

Thanks,

Ordered the pedals and hoping to pick up the Gunfighter MkII MCG when they become available.
Interested in the throttle also.

Drano

Postby Drano » Fri Mar 08, 2019 3:57

Yeah VKBDevconfig allows you to create button settings for stuff I never even thought of! It CAN be complicated like that but only because the controller is capable of all these extra things most of us never had available in any stick before. But it doesn't have to be complicated if you're not looking to use any of that. Wizzo will get you going insofar as setting up the axii and calibrating but it doesn't do any of the button programming. For that you need to use VKBDevconfig, which will do all the other stuff too. It does take some getting used to but you'll see it's a pretty cool program once you get the hang of it.

For most basic things you may not need all that. One of the games I use has a very good key mapping suite built into it so I never had to program the stick itself for much other than certain macros. Each button or hat press has a button number assigned to it in the base profile, I forget how many there are... But it's a lot on the MCG-Pro!

Check out the guide. There's a pdf on the VKB downloads page. It's extensive but just tune out the stuff about boolean functions and stick to what ya need. Unless that's your thing! If you run into a problem just ask here for help.
Gunfighter MkI w/MkIII update + MCG-Pro Grip
Avia S Cams
2x #30A Springs
FW:v2.13F
Devconfig: v92.78
Zbootloader: v2.01

Asus Strix X570-E Gaming
Ryzen9 5800X3D
Asus Strix 3080 12GB
32GB Corsair Vengeance PC3600
EVGA G6 1000W
Reverb G2V2