Kosmo pinky mod question

Moderator: AdminGroup

Cassiop

Kosmo pinky mod question

Postby Cassiop » Sun Mar 03, 2019 12:50

Hello everyone,

I had an idea about the pinky button of the Kosmo. I didn't received my unit yet but i'm pretty sure i'll be struggling with the pinky because of the small hands i have. (i struggled with pinky buttons on the Warthog and the X56 so....)

there is what i planned (dimensions are guessed, around ~8mm for the button's diameter, and i still have to figure out how to avoid the outershell to move but... there is the idea.)

https://imgur.com/a/YcmvIy9

In the meantime, reddit user /u/jaseworthing kindfully provided me a pic of the PCB button holder inside the grip to have an idea of what i should expect inside.

https://imgur.com/a/MNHW0BO

is seems that this little piece of PCB, holding the button, is glued to the support as Jaseworthing wasn't able to pull it off. So, I either have to find a solvant to disolve the glue, as Jaseworthing suggested to me (Maybe VKB know this answer ?), or i have to think to something else.
I may also kindly ask VKB to not glue this part in my order but i dont think it will fit well in their already busy industrial process ^^

Feedback on the idea are welcome, tell me what you think ! Also, if everything is fine i would gladly share this with the community ! But since it will be my first 3D printed design i'm pretty sure there will be problems.

thanks !

reddit thread
https://www.reddit.com/r/hotas/comments ... ma_during/

AeroGator

Re: Kosmo pinky mod question

Postby AeroGator » Wed Apr 03, 2019 9:31

Only saw your post now (shame, shame).
The pictures can not be seen. Have you removed them?
Best Regards,
AeroGator

rtrski

Postby rtrski » Thu Apr 04, 2019 0:50

Cassiop wrote:... seems that this little piece of PCB, holding the button, is glued to the support as Jaseworthing wasn't able to pull it off. So, I either have to find a solvant to disolve the glue, as Jaseworthing suggested to me (Maybe VKB know this answer ?), or i have to think to something else.
I may also kindly ask VKB to not glue this part in my order but i dont think it will fit well in their already busy industrial process

FYI, I just received a left-handed premium last week. I was able to disassemble all that just fine... the circuit board was not glued in.

Unfortunately the taller replacement button part for the thumb rest position does not fit in there though. Haha.
RH VKB GF Mk III + Modern Combat Grip *ULTIMATE* (12/17 GFII , upgraded), _powered_ deploy!
LH VKB GF Mk III + Kosmosima Prem (02/19 GFII, upgraded), *lateral* mounted
Feet: Slaw Viper RX Pedals [Sorry, VKB, too gorgeous]

ddrake1984

Postby ddrake1984 » Thu Apr 04, 2019 7:24

Ensure it has correct orientation (fits in the grooves)

rtrski

Postby rtrski » Thu Apr 04, 2019 15:22

ddrake1984 wrote:Ensure it has correct orientation (fits in the grooves)

Was that to me?

I was just out of giggles attempting to push in (gently!) the taller button part that came in a bag labeled "D1" into the pinky button hole, just to have a higher button. But from the shape of the base, and the diameter, the button is clearly not intended to go there - is it? It should be the button intended as an optional replacement for the "C1" thumb hat position? (I did watch ddrake's videos.)

Nothing's wrong with my stick at all, I was just playing to see if a taller button profile was possible there. Seems like one would be, but it would have to be about halfway between the height of the existing button with a chamfered head (yes, it only really fits in one way) and the taller one in the premium "D1" baggie, along with other parts like a button sleeve. The internal stick stiffener ribs prevent anything too much taller from being able to rotate past them to get fully into the hole.

So personally I'm fine, I was just commenting to the poster I replied to that the little circuit board for the pinky button "D1" was not 'glued' into its channel. One simply had to lift out the main grip joystick shaft, remove the little bridge-connector circuit board that fed it, and it gently slid out with a finger grip in my case (no needlenose necessary). But everything also went back together just fine and has been in use since. If i'd put the little board back in the slot wrong I'd either not be able to reconnect the little bridge circuit board, or also the miniswitch the button actually presses would be facing the wrong way!

There remains only really the comment that the baggie with thumb button optional replacement parts for the thumbrest hat does appear mislabeled "D1" vs. "C1", compared to the markings on the grip molding.

Incidentally the construction of the inside of the grip is a joy to behold. I actually grinned as I looked around...all the little 2-pin connector bridgy pieces and such, no cables, tiny subboards slotted in perfectly in place everywhere....this thing must be an absolute WHIZ to assemble and every damn modular part is easily individually replaceable. Serious congratulations are due for this design!
Last edited by rtrski on Fri Apr 05, 2019 21:41, edited 1 time in total.
RH VKB GF Mk III + Modern Combat Grip *ULTIMATE* (12/17 GFII , upgraded), _powered_ deploy!

fallout9

Postby fallout9 » Thu Apr 04, 2019 20:01

Could confirm Rtrski's statement - nothing around the pinky button has been glued on my LH-SCG, was able to easily take it out as well as the circuit board. I also tried to replace the original button with the tall one (thumb replacement button), but this one won't fit in there.

Cassiop

Postby Cassiop » Fri Apr 12, 2019 21:08

AeroGator wrote:Only saw your post now (shame, shame).
The pictures can not be seen. Have you removed them?

No problems !
I'm able to see the picture on the post and they are still on the link. That's strange. I'll re-upload them and send you a pm for you to see !

Thanks for your answer, everyone.
I now have a 3d printer and a bit of experience, i'll give that button few shot in june when my unit arrive !

rtrski

Postby rtrski » Sat Apr 20, 2019 16:03

I removed the pre-installed lower handrest lift for a little while, to see if I liked the pinky button access more without it present. Decided it didn't make a difference to me and put it back on. (I'm the weirdo using the LH Kosmo in a more "lateral" mount orientation as a relative-axis twist throttle though, so my personal ergonomic choices probably make little sense to anyone else on the planet. :D )

Cassiop

Postby Cassiop » Tue Jun 11, 2019 1:46

Here you are !

dont be fooled by how cool this look. this is the shitiest engineered thing you'll see today. (this week, and probably this year too.) it jiggle like crazy and i probably pushing the button more with the whole thing than with the inner piston. i didn't tamed my 3D printer enough yet to have correct result ! (and this is "only" a third attempt after all...)
Fun part : my cat played with the original gray button and i lost it so i'm stuck with that until i do better.... it work though !
sorry for bad pic

ddrake1984

Postby ddrake1984 » Tue Jun 11, 2019 1:53

Nice to see the concept become reality, keep up the good work, I will be following this channel with keen interest.

AeroGator

Postby AeroGator » Tue Jun 11, 2019 3:04

ddrake1984 wrote:Nice to see the concept become reality

TRUE!
Best Regards,
AeroGator

Sokol1

Postby Sokol1 » Wed Jun 12, 2019 6:22

Make the paddle lever more width, the ergonomics and look :mrgreen: will be better:

https://www.essexindustries.com/wp-cont ... 2_0006.jpg
http://i1093.photobucket.com/albums/i42 ... Stick4.jpg

aniron

Postby aniron » Wed Jun 12, 2019 17:52

Maybe one could use this..?

marcusstratus

Postby marcusstratus » Sun Jun 16, 2019 19:51

I don't know guys, I just attached a sticky dot to raise the height of the button a bit and it works totally brilliant. No effort to push and I use it quite regularly with my control setup. :wink:

16407D13-0991-4C26-8AC0-FB43FC7B733A.jpeg

MelkorsGreatestHits

Postby MelkorsGreatestHits » Mon Jun 17, 2019 5:58

Modern problems require modern solutions, I guess.

Return to “General discussions”