MCG for Legacy Customers

Moderator: AdminGroup

invictus84

MCG for Legacy Customers

Postby invictus84 » Fri Apr 13, 2018 19:07

Is this still planned, or should I assume it's gone the way of the dodo?
ATAG_Invictus

Caillin

Re: MCG for Legacy Customers

Postby Caillin » Sat Apr 14, 2018 2:41

From what I understand, it’s the firmware programming that is holding it up. Definitely still happening, and plenty of grips, just software holding things up unfortunately.

Hopefully that’s still the case, as I’m desperate to get the MCG Pro for my Gladiator Pro.

invictus84

Postby invictus84 » Thu May 03, 2018 1:30

Based on what I've seen on the US website, I think you are safe....Gladiator is still supported.

As for me and the Mamba....looks like I'm again out of luck. Another direction change....aannnnd I'm done.

Be on the look out for a Fat Black Mamba on sale on eBay soon. I'll be buying Virpil.

buh bye...
ATAG_Invictus

Caillin

Postby Caillin » Thu May 03, 2018 1:57

Have you got updated information on backward compatibility?

It does suck that early adopters on the Mamba are missing out, but at the same time, I do understand that as a small operation they need to focus on increasing revenue to be able to afford the capital investment on things like new molds. This is a niche product though, and looking after early supporters can definitely make or break a brand. Maybe there is an opportunity for a "trade-up" special discount for existing owners that want to stay current on the VKB range? I don't imagine there is much mark up on the products, but would be a great goodwill gesture from VKB.

I certainly don't want VKB to stop innovating, and realise they can't keep continually supporting legacy products, but there has to be a fair way to support loyal VKB customers.

Sokol1

Postby Sokol1 » Thu May 03, 2018 2:45

Latest 'rumor' about say that firmware for MCG work in Mambas bases are ready, but firmware for Mambas bases recognize MCG still 'Wip'. :mrgreen:

Caillin

Postby Caillin » Thu May 03, 2018 5:07

Ah, thanks Sokol, I hadn't got to the end of that thread yet. My take-away is basically backing up what I said earlier the VKB guys are under the pump, and prioritising the new products to bring forward revenue, which is totally understandable.

Though it does seem as though Ilya is determined to provide backward compatibility, it's just not a priority at the moment.

invictus84

Postby invictus84 » Thu May 03, 2018 5:48

Caillin wrote:Have you got updated information on backward compatibility?

It does suck that early adopters on the Mamba are missing out, but at the same time, I do understand that as a small operation they need to focus on increasing revenue to be able to afford the capital investment on things like new molds. This is a niche product though, and looking after early supporters can definitely make or break a brand. Maybe there is an opportunity for a "trade-up" special discount for existing owners that want to stay current on the VKB range? I don't imagine there is much mark up on the products, but would be a great goodwill gesture from VKB.

I certainly don't want VKB to stop innovating, and realise they can't keep continually supporting legacy products, but there has to be a fair way to support loyal VKB customers.

No direct information. But the "5-pin" MCGs are no longer even listed on the VKB North America site. Fairly clear it is no longer a priority, etc. I'm not asking VKB to keep supporting legacy products.....but at the same time VKB shouldn't say they are going to produce a compatible version, offer it for pre-order, then after months of waiting cancel the orders, state they can no longer provide an ETA for the Mamba MCG, and then a few weeks later quietly pull it off the web site. That's piss poor customer relationship building.

There are tons of other reasons I'm saying goodbye. All metal KG12? No longer a priority. Multiple handle interface changes. By my count I've seen 4 in the 5 years since I became a VKB customer.....FOUR! How the hell does a company even imply it gives a crap about backward compatibility when it makes multiple sigificant and incompatible interface changes changes? Answer: it can't, because it doesn't. Stock? No such thing. Company production is done in short runs that you basically have as much of a chance of hitting the lottery than you do actually finding an item in stock. I could go on and on and on....but why bother? This isn't an issue with VKB North America, which is run by a fine gentleman who's unfortunately at the mercy of a supplier company which has a great product....when they actually make them (which isn't often). At this point, I can bring myself to invest further dollars in such a company's products. I'm only touching on a few examples....there are many more. Needless to say, I find myself less and less interested in hearing about the next vaporware product or the new throttle or somthing else. No, for me it's time to cut ties, face facts and move on. I hope your experence is better.
ATAG_Invictus

Mr Dinsdale

Postby Mr Dinsdale » Thu May 03, 2018 13:23

It's pretty shitty.

I was so excited to get my hands on the black mamba, the grip always seemed a little crap that came with it but it was always said it was temporary until an upgrade was available. It was worth the wait for such a high quality base.

When the 3 pin sticks came out I was a little concerned but it seemed quite clear an upgrade path was still there. Now that looks to no longer be the case, it appears that backwards compatibility is even further than I previously expected (if at all). I get it's a small company, I'm fine with delays but what really pisses me off is lack of transparency and communication around this. It really does feel like a big FU to older customers.

I'll hold out for longer to hear more as I'm not currently in a position to sell my BM and switch to a different manufacturer but it's certainly on the cards in the not too distant future. I'll happily take virpils community engagement and transparency even if the product is IMO not quite as good.

Etzu

Postby Etzu » Thu May 17, 2018 19:41

My sentiments exactly from the above two posts. I have lost all faith in the companies ability to produce a grip for my 'legacy' base. I have felt very strung along from pre-orders, delays, cancellations and products pulled from sites. I will be selling my stick and moving to competitor that also starts with V.

It's unfortunate, as I really do enjoy the product but can't support this company any further.

A previously loyal VKB owner,
Etzu.

Mr Dinsdale

Postby Mr Dinsdale » Tue May 22, 2018 18:10

I just spent my black mamba upgrade and left hand stick fund on a set of USD Aeon inline skates and accessories in an impulsive moment and don't regret it at all :D

The 1-2 years until we see a compatible grip and left hand option should give plenty of time to save up though of they ever redeem themselves :p

Return to “General discussions”