Rudder Pedals.

Moderator: AdminGroup

Bo_lathrop

Rudder Pedals.

Postby Bo_lathrop » Mon Jan 29, 2018 4:16

Why did VKB decide to create the function of the rudder pedals up and down instead of the traditional and common forward and backward motion?

snuffles

Re: Rudder Pedals.

Postby snuffles » Mon Jan 29, 2018 11:00

Good question.

I would hazard a guess at the primary reason being user-centric ergonomics, rather than production efficiency.

What problems to you foresee yourself having with the current design?

Bo_lathrop

Postby Bo_lathrop » Tue Jan 30, 2018 1:08

Honestly the up and down motion is what is making me hold back from purchasing them. I'm trying to make a build for a vintage WW2 piston plane.

snuffles

Postby snuffles » Wed Jan 31, 2018 18:34

I agree. You're the customer; you decide. Don't buy what doesn't fit you, unless you can see yourself growing into it...

Bo_lathrop

Postby Bo_lathrop » Thu Feb 01, 2018 4:47

I would love to purchase your pedals, but I like to have my controls function like what is used in aircraft. I have not flown in an aircraft(modern) that employs such action. I haven’t flown in any ww2 aircraft(which is the only type I sim) but I have been to plenty of museums and haven’t encountered an aircraft( to my knowledge) that uses your pedal function of up and down to activate the rudder. But given all these concepts I’ve seen online of vintage parts (throttles and sticks) and modular desktop mounts I will be owning all VKB products. Hopefully I will be fully set up in 2018.... please don’t tell me that’s wishful thinking!! P.s. make a rounded spitfire control system... on top of everything else the team has planned lol. If you need help testing items, I’ll do it;)

Sokol1

Postby Sokol1 » Thu Feb 01, 2018 5:09

T-Rudder pedal kinematics follow some Tupolev aircraft pedals model, don't remember what...

This up-down operation was choose instead an conventional back-forth because for a virtual pilot siting in a conventional office chair this up/down operation is more comfortable, you keep heels on rest and move only foot tip, or you control rudder only with foot movement, instead foot/legs/hip of a conventional pedal.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u4AEoNszaBo

When sit in office chair with column/legs ~90 degrees this combined movement foot/legs/hip became tiresome with time.

Other advantage is that T-Rudder don't slide over floor, so don't need be attached, and the design is compact, easy to store when not in use.

I use T-Rudder for WW2 CFG (il-2's, DCSW WW2 planes) and for drive vehicles in ARMA3, with foots of course. :mrgreen:

For "cockpit" certainly this design is not most convenient option, because if cockpit was made properly you will sit more low, what make more easy move foot back-forth like in real planes.

Other point to consider is the lack of brakes on pedal. For me this is not issue because I am used to British differential brakes operations in games: press the wheel brakes and move rudder for brake this or that wheel. T-Rudder emulate differential brakes via T-Link software using a joystick button for brake.

But if due cost the alternative is these "entry-level" pedals from Thrustmaster, Saitek, CH - most plastic parts and using potentiometer, spent a bit more and get T-Rudder, metal construction, bearings on pivots, contactless sensor.
Last edited by Sokol1 on Thu Feb 01, 2018 20:22, edited 1 time in total.

marcusstratus

Postby marcusstratus » Thu Feb 01, 2018 19:22

I can tell, with my cheap TM pedals that use whole leg movement, the T-Rudder pedals will be much more ergonomic when I can afford to get a set. At the moment, after flying for an hour or two with my current pedals, my knees ache because the setup isn't ideal.

Bo_lathrop

Postby Bo_lathrop » Fri Feb 02, 2018 3:07

I also have the TM pedals. In my opinion, the only two issues that i have found with the TM is the lack of width (Pedals are too close together) and lack of smoothness for minor adjustments. besides that i think they are great. But the matter still remains that i am looking for a more authentic feel and look.

Dambala

Postby Dambala » Fri Feb 02, 2018 10:01

I like my mfg rudder :)

Sokol1

Postby Sokol1 » Fri Feb 02, 2018 17:08

Bo_lathrop wrote: But the matter still remains that i am looking for a more authentic feel and look.

Then your option is look at MFG, BRD or Slaw pedals. :)

In the past VKB make similar pedals, maybe in future make then again.

Return to “General discussions”