Preferred Cam/Springs for Space sims

Moderator: AdminGroup

ADMRL

Preferred Cam/Springs for Space sims

Postby ADMRL » Tue Jan 09, 2018 5:53

Just curious at what everyones preferred setup was for space sims?

Currently I am using #30 springs on each axis and #10 cam.

I am finding that around the centre position that the stick is a little too sensitive for precision aiming. Does anyone know if changing the cam to #30 would be better for lowering the sensitivity around the centre?

zenmonkey

Re: Preferred Cam/Springs for Space sims

Postby zenmonkey » Wed Jan 10, 2018 2:03

Right now I'm using the stock springs and cams, it seems fine though you need adjust the deadzone, and possibly the response curve. Changing the springs will change thing resistance but not the sensitivity. I wouldn't recommend changing the cams. On my left stick I have the #30 cams with #10 springs and you need more force to get the past the the detent than the #30 springs with smooth cams. So more resistance will maintain the same sensitivity with the added complications of potentially applying too much force and overshooting

AeroGator

Postby AeroGator » Wed Jan 10, 2018 6:32

Wait one day before getting into this curve thing.
We were pointed to a bug in the firmware, corrected it and now testing before making the debugged FW public.
Best Regards,
AeroGator

marcusstratus

Postby marcusstratus » Thu Jan 18, 2018 20:31

I think I've finished setting up my GF to my liking. Last night I was finally able to stay on target and pop some pirates in Star Citizen (after a year of hardly being able to dogfight with my X-55). I changed back to #10 cams on both Axes because the detent on #30 was throwing off accuracy. Also have #30+#10 Springs on both axes (not the same as #40 Springs, that was too stiff) I haven't messed with anything in VKBdevcfg yet, but I did set up curves in Star Citizen. I set the curves of both axes similar (used for pitch and yaw) starting at 1.7. I then edited the top half of the curve so it's S-shaped and that gave me good accuracy for aiming but felt natural with large maneuvers too. I set 0% deadzone on pitch and yaw axes because the GF is so accurate I needed as much movement as I could get in the center.

ADMRL

Postby ADMRL » Tue Jan 23, 2018 0:08

wow both a 10 + 30 springs... Ill have to try it. is that something that people commonly do? I reverted back to the 20. Maybe ill add the 10 to the 20 and see how that feels.

marcusstratus

Postby marcusstratus » Fri Jan 26, 2018 20:21

Don't know if it's something people commonly do, it was just what felt good to me. If it's too soft I have trouble with fine movements overshooting near zero point on axis (such as what's needed for non-gimble space combat) I actually further increased the Y axis to 20+30 because it was a little easier to move than the X. Now they're both comparable in movement.

aklambda

Postby aklambda » Mon Apr 23, 2018 11:07

I just ordered the Gunfighter MCG PRO and cannot wait to try it out in Star Citizen. Thanks for the feedback on this.

I will have to see what is feeling good for me in Space Sims. The competition is offering a custom Space Sim Cam for their stick. Is this something VKB might be offering as well? Or are the current cams and springs enough to adjust the stick properly for space flight?

graysson

Postby graysson » Mon Apr 23, 2018 13:12

I changed the default cams and springs because the stick didnt center even with the friction dampener all loose.
Now i use the hard center cams with the weakest springs and its feels better.
But i have to say that i didnt use my Gunfighter that much because without the MCG grip and only a T16k for the lefthand i dont have enough buttons for sapce sims.

stormwalker

Postby stormwalker » Mon Apr 23, 2018 20:24

I went to the #30 cams and #10 springs and it seems about perfect for Elite: Dangerous for both combat and racing purposes. I haven't tried the Gunfighter in Star Citizen yet, but I suspect it will do well there, as well.

If I ever pick up another serious flight sim, I might have to have two Gunfighters - one for space sim and one for flight sim. Because the default cam setup would be much more to my taste for flight sim, and switching cams just to switch games is way too much trouble.

This is the best stick I've ever owned, hands down. It's not even close. I finally have a stick that's every bit as good as my MFG Crosswind pedals (and this is a very high compliment, let me tell you)! I can hardly wait until the MCG Pro is available again so I can get one of those. Not to mention one of your throttles when those become available - I'm still stuck using the throttle from a Saitek X-56, and it feels so incredibly inadequate when my stick and pedals are so good.

aniron

Postby aniron » Wed Apr 25, 2018 13:02

I'm using 2×#50 spring and the W cam, for metal Warthog grip on the Gunfighter Pro extension.

I sure would like to be able to get my hands on a revA-compatible MCG Pro to replace the hunk of metal... hopefully the June shipment to the EU store will last more than the 48h the April shipment did.

Andy20585

Postby Andy20585 » Fri Oct 12, 2018 11:15

Hey works VKB on a Space Sim Cam for Star citizen ?

Ron61

Postby Ron61 » Fri Oct 12, 2018 12:27

You can look at this message (under the spoiler) for an overall assessment.
Below in the topic there are more photos.

Return to “General discussions”