Using #50 springs with Gladiator Pro and MCG

Moderator: AdminGroup

Sideslip

Using #50 springs with Gladiator Pro and MCG

Postby Sideslip » Sat Dec 23, 2017 20:37

I am currently using #20 spring on the roll axis and #40 on pitch with the KG12 grip. I find the pitch just perfect as it is. I have ordered an MCG and noticed that it will be a little taller, probably holding it one or two inches higher up. I'm thinking that this will result in the #40 spring feeling closer to #30, so in order to retain the feel I'd like to potentially use a #50 spring.

My concern is if the plastic Gladiator housing is able to safely handle the forces of the #50. Of course the gimbal is all metal and there is a solid (and beautiful red) metal plate to distribute the load, but it is only secured by 4 small screws in plastic. I love the Gladiator and don't want to destroy it. I don't want to replace it with a Gunfighter, cost aside, because I really like all the extra buttons the base offers.

Sideslip

Re: Using #50 springs with Gladiator Pro and MCG

Postby Sideslip » Tue Jan 02, 2018 0:07

Bump.

I'm assuming by the silence that there is no problem or risk using the #50 springs with the Gladiator Pro. I guess I'll find out eventually.

t00thPIK

Postby t00thPIK » Thu Jan 11, 2018 10:31

Judging by the photos I've seen of the inside of the stick, the internal shaft goes a decent way into the handle. So there shouldn't be any durability problems. These plastics appear to be of high quality. Most joystick plastics are of decent enough quality these days.

Provided the handle is screwed together nice and tight, and the screws are distributed at appropriate load points during initial design, then the handle should be able to withstand a lot of punsihment.

AeroGator

Postby AeroGator » Thu Jan 11, 2018 10:52

Sideslip wrote:I'm assuming by the silence that there is no problem or risk using the #50 springs with the Gladiator Pro. I guess I'll find out eventually.
t00thPIK wrote:Judging by the photos I've seen of the inside of the stick, the internal shaft goes a decent way into the handle. So there shouldn't be any durability problems. These plastics appear to be of high quality. Most joystick plastics are of decent enough quality these days.
Provided the handle is screwed together nice and tight, and the screws are distributed at appropriate load points during initial design, then the handle should be able to withstand a lot of punsihment.

I seriously would NOT do that. #50 are very serious springs. On a test run it may seem that everything is fine, and as you said, the handle can withstand punishment. True, however there is punishment, and there is systematic torture. Not exactly the same thing. Besides, there is not only the stick, but the base as well, and Gladiator base although a pretty sturdy thing is still not a full-metal Gunfighter.
#50 springs are meant to balance the grip mounted on the top of the extension tube. Quite an overkill for your situation, really.
Please take it seriously.
Best Regards,
AeroGator

Sideslip

Postby Sideslip » Fri Jan 12, 2018 18:03

ok, that's the information I was looking for. I'm more worried about the base than the stick as it's the base that has to deal with the highest forces. I've only taken the metal plate off twice (first cam change and to tape wires that were rubbing/vibrating) and one of the four screws holes is already stripped despite being extremely careful. Considering that's all that is holding the base in place, I could see the extra force being borderline. I'll stick to #40 max then.

I really hate load bearing plastic screw holes especially due to the widely variable torque making it almost impossible to tell if you've reached the end of travel. It'd be nice if metal nuts were glued opposite the screw to eliminate the possibility of stripping. Oh well. If it becomes a problem I'll just get a larger screw.

Thanks for the recommendation.

Return to “General discussions”