Gladiator Mk2 (not pro) and MCG

Moderator: AdminGroup

rweaves6

Gladiator Mk2 (not pro) and MCG

Postby rweaves6 » Fri Dec 08, 2017 8:50

Hi everyone, 1st off I have to say I LOVE my Gladiator Mark2. I’ve been flight simming for 30 yrs and this is the best feeling stick I’ve owned.

My question is, what options are available to me to somehow get a mix of a MCG and this base?
I fly in a recliner so I can’t use pedals so I need twist and I prefer not having a separate throttle. Therefore the Mark2 (not pro) is the perfect base for me.

The Gladiator Mark2 works great for me in il2 but it would be nice to have a HOTAS for modern aircraft in DCS. Any suggestions?

AeroGator

Re: Gladiator Mk2 (not pro) and MCG

Postby AeroGator » Fri Dec 08, 2017 18:19

Thank you sincerely for your nice words.
Still, I have to disappoint you a bit; Gladiator non-Pro has a non-replaceable grip, hence you can't pop the MCG on it and take off.
Sorry.
Best Regards,
AeroGator

rweaves6

Postby rweaves6 » Sat Dec 09, 2017 5:46

Thanks for the response. I don’t mind buying another base or whatever I need to get a modern grip. To clarify then there is not an option available at this time from VKB for someone that wants:
-MCG (or ideally the upcoming F14) stick
-Twist
-integrated throttle

Thanks

rtrski

Postby rtrski » Sat Dec 09, 2017 6:46

Today, from VKB....no.

There is a twist coming for the MCG as an adaptor. Only teaser images available so far (see VKBcontrollers.com for example, their U.S. sales portal). No release date has been hinted yet.

But even then, with MCG or MCG-Pro on a Gunfighter base, plus Twist.....no integrated throttle in the same overall assembly.

I suppose it's REMOTELY possible the full up Gladiator (Pro version) *might* take an MCG-Pro and a twist adaptor. But I'm not sure. Best to get that info from someone who really knows, not just another guy waiting for an MCGPro like me. ;-)
RH VKB GF Mk III + Modern Combat Grip *ULTIMATE* (12/17 GFII , upgraded), _powered_ deploy!
LH VKB GF Mk III + Kosmosima Prem (02/19 GFII, upgraded), *lateral* mounted
Feet: Slaw Viper RX Pedals [Sorry, VKB, too gorgeous]

Sideslip

Postby Sideslip » Sat Dec 09, 2017 17:53

I'm 80% sure the Gladiator pro will be compatible with the twist adapter. The Gunfighter base is mostly intended to be used with an extension (hence no buttons on base), more commonly used in home cockpits and with a center stick position. I'm sure the majority of space simmers (the group the twist is mainly targeted to) don't use a cockpit or center mount with their HOSAS, so it would be an odd decision to make the adapter fit only the base used more by flight simmers seeking realistic controls. That said, a stick on an extension gives more precision for any application, but it's the mounting space requirement that can be an issue.

Also, if the KG12 grip fits the Gunfighter base and the adapter does too, then the base side of the adapter has to have the same connection as the KG12, therefore it has to fit the Gladiator Pro. What likely won't work is attaching the adapter to the KG12.

I don't know if it is still available but I heard there is an upgrade to replace the plastic gimbal of the Gladiator with the metal Pro gimbal. In that case, when the MCG and twist adapter are released you could buy them with the upgrade kit and you'd have what you are looking for. I hope you are patient though as it seems like a long process for VKB to get their products to market.

rweaves6

Postby rweaves6 » Sat Dec 09, 2017 20:51

Ok thanks for that reply. I’ll wait patiently and see what happens. I realize I’m not the norm in an already niche market so I can only hope. In the mean time I’ll continue to enjoy my Gladiator 2. I’ve had a Cougar HOTAS as well as many other sticks and I like the VKB the best. Thanks

rtrski

Postby rtrski » Mon Dec 11, 2017 16:07

Sideslip wrote:...The Gunfighter base is mostly intended to be used with an extension (hence no buttons on base), more commonly used in home cockpits and with a center stick position. ...

I disagree with that statement. The Gunfighter base is sold with a large plate by default, which is clearly NOT for center mounting. Yes, you can get it with the extension and the smaller plate. And it has choices of springs for either desktop-position actuation or longer-lever center cockpit between legs actuation, regardless of the plate. (Ironically I have one pre-ordered and wish I could get the small plate and no extension vs. the large plate, since I'll mount it to my desktop/keyboard tray setup and the small plate has corner holes while the large does not appear to.)

Lack of buttons on the base is more of a choice for staying 'hands on' than just where it gets mounted. The Saitek X56 stick has nothing on the base either, for example. While the Gunfighter is certainly designed to be center-mount capable....I don't think it was ever intended as "mostly" that.
RH VKB GF Mk III + Modern Combat Grip *ULTIMATE* (12/17 GFII , upgraded), _powered_ deploy!
LH VKB GF Mk III + Kosmosima Prem (02/19 GFII, upgraded), *lateral* mounted
Feet: Slaw Viper RX Pedals [Sorry, VKB, too gorgeous]

Sokol1

Postby Sokol1 » Thu Dec 14, 2017 4:45

While the Gunfighter is certainly designed to be center-mount capable....I don't think it was ever intended as "mostly" that.]

Gunfighter base was designed primarily for use 20 cm extension - hence center-mounted.

The reason Gunfighter received a more reinforced gimbal was for avoid issues like happen with the formerly Black Mamba - same gimbal of Gladiator PRO, but with metal case, when some users abuse ending damaging the gimbal - using the heavy Warthog grip (~1kg)+20cm extension+2 springs per axis.

This new gimbal design delayed the Gunfighter hit the market almost a year, but as bonus he get the "dry clutch" that help in helicopter flying. As this gimbal are customisable (CAM, springs) can be used as desktop too, but this was not the primary objective of the project.

Return to “General discussions”