Throttle Design Considerations

Moderator: AdminGroup

bossfight

Re: Throttle Design Considerations

Postby bossfight » Tue Jan 02, 2018 8:21

rtrski wrote:Someone posted an older render of the front side of the TECS throttle grip that showed the right half of the throttle having one button and one hat . (But the side had one less button than the new render, so that's no guarantee.) But if it is still there, and if that one hat was analog-capable, would that supply what you desire? If it was only a 2-way (up/down) but analog capable?

Just curious. I have no specific dog in this hunt, I think with what I've already seen if the rest of the unseen front was just buttons and maybe a digital-only hat I'd personally be OK covering all the functions I want. Well, with a twist adaptor for my MCG-Pro / Gunfighter as well.

I too don't understand the sudden "real pilots don't do that" vitriol on the reddit threads. I bet a significant portion of the new MCG-Pro orders are space simmers, and a significant number of "real pilots" bought the pro over the non-pro despite a hat where one isn't on the T-50. The very existence of the "Pro" grip came from customer feedback wanting moar. I'd think any market for VKB to make great stuff is to everyone's benefit (In my case specifically, in absence of twist available right now---the MCG-Pro grip was the deciding point between going VKB and going V...um, the other guys who we also all wish well certainly, but this here's the forum for the home team. ;-) ....that the twist adaptor might actually be available for relatively short versions of the word "soon" is a bonus.)

I still haven't seen the actual comment people mention about the throttle grips themselves being modular....keep looking but I guess my Google-fu is running low for 2018.

Yes, if the single hat under (what I assume would be) the pointer finger was analog capable, even if just on a single axis, that would be enough for me. I'm really not looking for much. I just want a center-returned axis on the front of the grip which could be used to drive Forward/Back burst thrust independent of main throttle axis. A non-analog hat could be used, but it would lack the finesse of analog feathered controls. This is effectively what I already have with the CH Pro Throttle anyways. If the sole appeal for the TECS, for me, is just a material upgrade on the same functionality I already have... it's hard to justify the upgrade. But add that one single axis on the front of the grip and take all my money.

bossfight

Postby bossfight » Tue Jan 02, 2018 8:28

Also, I keep hearing people talk about the modularity of the TECS but I think the message may be getting confused.

I keep hearing rumors about how the grips on the TECS throttle may be modular, but I haven't seen any official statements that support that. But the throttle is designed for modularity with the additional control panel extensions. I think people are maybe reading one of these things and thinking the other of these things.

If there has been any official word about the grips of the TECS being modular, could someone please link it when possible?

rtrski

Postby rtrski » Tue Jan 02, 2018 15:03

I keep hearing rumors about how the grips on the TECS throttle may be modular

"Suitcase Jefferson" posted on the reddit discussion about this subject with his link, for which I thank him. But he's linking to a hidden page on the VKBControllers.com US sales site, which is usually reacting to news from VKB-mothership.

I looked around for a 'last edited on...' sort of date at that link but couldn't find one. I do rememember reading it before it was 'hidden' by the site redesign, although I don't recall it word for word. I am not certain that the 'modular grip' information is current short of announcement here or on the Ru forums that they've also posted these images. Seems like if there was an alternate grip they'd at least show in sillhouette or something as that's a pretty major feature.

In the meantime they did release a forward render now too, which has been updated on the TECS teaser post, and it does look like the same hat type on the front as the side (at least the same 'fingertip rest' shape), so there's HOPE that it is both analog and digital like the MCG-Pro Master Mode as well.

If the sole appeal for the TECS, for me, is just a material upgrade on the same functionality I already have... it's hard to justify the upgrade. But add that one single axis on the front of the grip and take all my money.

Well that 'material' upgrade includes contactless/magnetic sensors and likely much better long term robustness, too. I had the same struggle with the stick given my X56 "still worked" aside from losing twist, and here I was buying an MCG-Pro with at the time no idea when twist would be available...but the feel by comparison is night and day and definitely a worthy upgrade.
RH VKB GF Mk III + Modern Combat Grip *ULTIMATE* (12/17 GFII , upgraded), _powered_ deploy!
LH VKB GF Mk III + Kosmosima Prem (02/19 GFII, upgraded), *lateral* mounted
Feet: Slaw Viper RX Pedals [Sorry, VKB, too gorgeous]

bossfight

Postby bossfight » Tue Jan 02, 2018 15:58

Oh man, that front render gives me so much hope.

That POV hat looks like it might actually be an analog input. Also, those paddles are definitely not a palm rest, which I was thinking the rear pads might have been. It looks like the pads on the front and back of the grip may be connected as one tilt-lever of some sort. Maybe just still just a means to engage/release throttle detentes, but who knows now.

Return to “General discussions”