Rudder pedals

Moderator: AdminGroup

Punk

Rudder pedals

Postby Punk » Thu Oct 19, 2017 14:21

Are there any plans to add different rudder pedals, other than those used in helicopters, for fixed-wing aircraft with pedals incorporating toe brakes? Or make the pedals interchangeable or something? Sorry if this has been asked, not sure how to word it right so multiple searches didn't yield any results.

AeroGator

Re: Rudder pedals

Postby AeroGator » Thu Oct 19, 2017 16:39

Punk wrote:Are there any plans to add different rudder pedals, other than those used in helicopters, for fixed-wing aircraft with pedals incorporating toe brakes? Or make the pedals interchangeable or something? Sorry if this has been asked, not sure how to word it right so multiple searches didn't yield any results.

There were reasons for designing the pedals this way not the other.
To make it short, the way virtual pilots sit in their cockpits is different from that in real planes.
Also,
It'd be a bit of a mistake to say our pedals are like "those used in helicopters". Many smaller airplanes use the same rudder pedals scheme (google "British brake"); as well as all Soviet WWII warbirds.
Toe brakes are implemented in grips. MCG for example will have a dedicated brake lever (made as an analog axis) that will effectively turn the pedals (when used together with MCG) into a 3-axis device.
This being said, we are planning to get back to this topic some time coming year. We might (no firm promise) come up with an alternative 3-axis pedals model. Too early to talk about this at length right now.
Best Regards,
AeroGator

Hadarmil

Postby Hadarmil » Tue Oct 24, 2017 9:45

I say rudder pedals should be the last thing VKB does. Besides the one already in constant stock(hallelujah!) the options for high end pedals are pretty phenomenal - Baur, Slaw&Milan. Sure, there are long wait times but how many high end HOTAS are there?

Currently, maybe the Warthog - but that depends on your definition of "high end".

AeroGator

Postby AeroGator » Tue Oct 24, 2017 11:20

Hadarmil wrote:I say rudder pedals should be the last thing VKB does

From today's perspective I totally agree. But pedals were the first thing that we started with, so this product has some sentimental value for us!
8)
Best Regards,
AeroGator

Mr WHIMington

Postby Mr WHIMington » Tue Dec 19, 2017 14:29

When seeing these type of topic I usually start scratching my head wondering how much people understand how actual aircraft rudder, rotary or fix wing, looks and feels like. Anyhow, for those who actually worked around aircraft(pilot, or grease monkey like me)for long enough time should already noticed that the T-rudder is actually quite a close representation of what most helicopter anti-torque padel feels like(that exactly how it should be called), for starters here, helicopter anti-torque padel have very sensitive inputs, a lots of copter pilots that I know of actually only put very light force on their toe due to the senstiveness of the flight controls itself. The T-rudder also modeled after some WWII era planes rudder systems. The biggest difference comes when compared to almost all modern fix-wing rudder systems, as toe breaks is a norm for them. This is why I have 2 rudder systems at home, the T-rudder and the good old CH padel.

Return to “General discussions”