Force Feedback

Moderator: AdminGroup

Tibsun

Force Feedback

Postby Tibsun » Thu Oct 12, 2017 19:52

I recently discovered IrisDynamics Ltd. wich are creating a new kind of force feedback joysticks.
https://vs4.irisdynamics.com/magnetic-f ... joysticks/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X1BKkZs3DvA

They got a simple stick working as far as I can see, but I think their first Grip wouldn't be that good.
I thought about maybe VKB can put their grip or create a adaptor on this or even coorporate with them helping to get started sooner.
Alot of people here are eagerly waiting that FFB make it's way back and as far as I see they got their own patent for their force feedback.
Is it possible? You already made a lot of adaptor to make grips or bases fit. This would probably push you forward.
They are also creating pedals with force feedback.
Too big for home below desk but maybe MFG or your heli pedals knowledge could help out.
So much stuff combined with this would make a dream come true.

So maybe a adaptor to simply put your new grips on it wouldn't be that hard to realize. You still keep your black box put a grip on that magnetic metal stick coming out, quite easy.
About the pedals, well, this would be a whole new level of gameplay. I wish I could fly with MFG similar pedals with FF on cliffs of dover.

Thanks for listening.

EDIT: Oh and they are seeking for partners as you can see in the end of the video.

AeroGator

Re: Force Feedback

Postby AeroGator » Fri Oct 13, 2017 4:30

Tibsun wrote:I recently discovered IrisDynamics Ltd. wich are creating a new kind of force feedback joysticks.
........ but maybe MFG or your heli pedals knowledge could help out.
So much stuff combined with this would make a dream come true.

I spent some time reading the datasheet. Currents up to 15A, massive heat generation, etc., etc.
I honestly don't think we would ever produce anything to be coupled with this sort of base.
The reason being simple: electromagnetic fields generated by the base will render contactless magnetic sensors totally useless. (and maybe not only magnetic sensors, if you know what I mean).
The idea is potentially interesting though. But let us see how far it would go in a few years.
BTW, any idea about the price of such a base?
Best Regards,
AeroGator

Tibsun

Postby Tibsun » Fri Oct 13, 2017 15:02

About sensors, their tech seems combine both ffb and position reading at the same time, I asked them about precision and that was what he told me.
As for precision, the current prototypes are vastly higher resolution than anything on the market today. The reason for that is to be able to actually model inertial effects we need to have both high positional accuracy as well as VERY fast sample times (IE significantly faster than anything else on the market).

They also told me they are trying to make it compatible with your gtrips
To your questions, yes our FFB tech is very different than anything that’s been brought to market yet. We are seriously considering bringing a stick to the consumer sim market and if we do go that route we will definitely make sure they are compatible with warthog (IE VKB/VIRPIL grips).

It isn't yet finished.
I don't have a glue, but I hope that heat won't be a problem.
You would have to ask them about price.
It might be quite expensive, wich I don't hope. I see in the video that the prototype is pretty simple build, so I hope production would be less expensive.

AeroGator

Postby AeroGator » Sat Oct 14, 2017 2:29

Tibsun wrote:About sensors

I never said we looked down upon these devices. We will of course see more about them, maybe even get a sample and study it in flesh.
But from what I could see right now, magnetic loaders need more RnD to be marketed. I might be wrong. Let us wait some.
Best Regards,
AeroGator

Return to “General discussions”