MCG grip on MAMBA/GLADIATOR - yes or no

Moderator: AdminGroup

User avatar
AeroGator
Posts: 397
Joined: Wed May 31, 2017 7:40
Has thanked: 98 times
Been thanked: 155 times

MCG grip on MAMBA/GLADIATOR - yes or no

Postby AeroGator » Thu Sep 28, 2017 12:32

A.
CONNECTORS in the BASE.
("Connectors" are hardware (physical) couplings, usually "male" and "female". Just hardware, no less, no more).

A1 - Female 5-pin air force style connector:
- Mamba Мк2\3
- Vintage Mamba
- Gladiator Pro Mk1
A2 - Springed 3-pin connector (rev A)
- Gladiator Pro Mk2
- Gunfighter RevA
A3 - 3-pin connector patch (platform)
- Gunfighter RevB
The above listed are the CONNECTORS.

B.
Now, the PROTOCOLS.
("PROTOCOLS", unlike "connectors", are not "material/physical" plugs and sockets. They are pieces of software made to en/decrypt the signal/data that is received through the dedicated "connector" itself).
There are 2 of them:
B1 - 5-wire button protocol
- Mamba Mk2\3, Warthog
B2 - 3-wire digital button-axis protocol
- Vintage Mamba, Gladiators Pro MkI,II, GFs A/B
The above listed are the PROTOCOLS.
NOTE: Vintage Mamba and Gladiators MkI Pro are equipped with 5-wire connectors but 3-wire protocol. 2 wires are not used.
Mamba Mk2\3 internal controller on its PCB has a connector that can be used for digital grip protocol.

However there is also a Fat Mamba. It is based on Mamba but it has buttons and axes on its sides.
To connect MCG to Mamba it only takes replacing 5-pin connector with 3-pin one, and plugging it into a different socket.
However to connect MCG to Fat Mamba one would need an extra PCB because the socket that was meant for grip is already occupied by axes.
The above mentioned extra PCB allows plugging in additional jacks. By installing this PCB you will effectively turn your Fat Mamba into Vintage Mamba. Don't forget to cast a spell "Mambio transformio!"

As everyone can see,
MCG GRIP CAN BE USED WITH MAMBA Mk2\3 and Vintage, GLADIATOR, and GUNFIGHTER.
It might be easy and straightforward, or take some 15 mins for installing an extra (cheap and easily available) PCB into the grip, but it is possible and perfectly doable.
Best Regards,
AeroGator

Sprite
Posts: 9
Joined: Wed Nov 04, 2015 19:05
Been thanked: 1 time

Re: MCG grip on MAMBA/GLADIATOR - yes or no

Postby Sprite » Thu Sep 28, 2017 19:01

So this might sound like a very stupid question, but im a little confused on this. How would this work with my extender for the black mamba Mk. III? That is also a 5-pin, do I need 2 separate 3-pin connectors? One set for the stick and one set for the extender?

It's also fat mamba mk.3 so how many connectors exactly do I need here?

MGH
Posts: 14
Joined: Tue Oct 06, 2015 18:34
Been thanked: 2 times

Re: MCG grip on MAMBA/GLADIATOR - yes or no

Postby MGH » Fri Sep 29, 2017 2:05

How does the King Cobra Mk IV fit in this?

Does it require / can it have an extra PCB like the fat mamba due to having buttons on the base also ?

Enkrow
Posts: 4
Joined: Tue Jan 24, 2017 5:58
Been thanked: 4 times

Re: MCG grip on MAMBA/GLADIATOR - yes or no

Postby Enkrow » Sat Sep 30, 2017 0:09

So I'm a little confused, and would like to confirm something.
I have a Gunfighter Rev A. Will I be able to plug an MCG-Left into it? Or will I need extra PCBs, or some adapter?

User avatar
UIV
Мастер
Posts: 4903
Joined: Mon Apr 17, 2006 16:33
Has thanked: 19 times
Been thanked: 260 times

Re: MCG grip on MAMBA/GLADIATOR - yes or no

Postby UIV » Sat Sep 30, 2017 6:40

Enkrow wrote:So I'm a little confused, and would like to confirm something.
I have a Gunfighter Rev A. Will I be able to plug an MCG-Left into it? Or will I need extra PCBs, or some adapter?

No need. Just order MCG-Left for GF RevA.

User avatar
UIV
Мастер
Posts: 4903
Joined: Mon Apr 17, 2006 16:33
Has thanked: 19 times
Been thanked: 260 times

Re: MCG grip on MAMBA/GLADIATOR - yes or no

Postby UIV » Sat Sep 30, 2017 6:43

MGH wrote:How does the King Cobra Mk IV fit in this?

Does it require / can it have an extra PCB like the fat mamba due to having buttons on the base also ?

If you want to connect the MCG to KingCobra, you lost one axis on the base. Grip connected to this axis.
And need to update the firmware. It's problem, because we have no a sample of KingCobra and can not test.

MGH
Posts: 14
Joined: Tue Oct 06, 2015 18:34
Been thanked: 2 times

Re: MCG grip on MAMBA/GLADIATOR - yes or no

Postby MGH » Sat Sep 30, 2017 9:29

UIV wrote:
MGH wrote:How does the King Cobra Mk IV fit in this?

Does it require / can it have an extra PCB like the fat mamba due to having buttons on the base also ?

If you want to connect the MCG to KingCobra, you lost one axis on the base. Grip connected to this axis.
And need to update the firmware. It's problem, because we have no a sample of KingCobra and can not test.


I can post mine if that helps :)

can we choose the axis to sacrifice on the base ? ... ( my vote would be for the throttle axis on the top as i never use it )

StarLordRick
Posts: 36
Joined: Tue Dec 01, 2015 4:40
Has thanked: 7 times
Been thanked: 3 times

Re: MCG grip on MAMBA/GLADIATOR - yes or no

Postby StarLordRick » Sun Oct 01, 2017 3:06

jesus i just spend alot of money for this extension for my fat black mamba, and ur telling me the mcg pro wont work? if that is the case can i get the new 3 pin connector for the extension and just install it myself?

User avatar
rrohde
Posts: 527
Joined: Thu Oct 08, 2015 9:28
Location: Oklahoma, USA
Has thanked: 510 times
Been thanked: 196 times

Re: MCG grip on MAMBA/GLADIATOR - yes or no

Postby rrohde » Sun Oct 01, 2017 4:54

StarLordRick wrote:jesus i just spend alot of money for this extension for my fat black mamba, and ur telling me the mcg pro wont work? if that is the case can i get the new 3 pin connector for the extension and just install it myself?


The post said that it will work - you just need to install that extra PCB and cable (once, of course, VKB provides this MCG (5-pin) kit for Fat Black Mamba and makes it available for sale).

VKB aims to support their past and current controllers, after all. :)
VKB North America
https://VKBControllers.com

StarLordRick
Posts: 36
Joined: Tue Dec 01, 2015 4:40
Has thanked: 7 times
Been thanked: 3 times

Re: MCG grip on MAMBA/GLADIATOR - yes or no

Postby StarLordRick » Sun Oct 01, 2017 19:38

rrohde wrote:
StarLordRick wrote:jesus i just spend alot of money for this extension for my fat black mamba, and ur telling me the mcg pro wont work? if that is the case can i get the new 3 pin connector for the extension and just install it myself?


The post said that it will work - you just need to install that extra PCB and cable (once, of course, VKB provides this MCG (5-pin) kit for Fat Black Mamba and makes it available for sale).

VKB aims to support their past and current controllers, after all. :)


Guess i didn't read it properly so which grip should I pre order? or should i wait for the pcb kit to be released first?

Sprite
Posts: 9
Joined: Wed Nov 04, 2015 19:05
Been thanked: 1 time

Re: MCG grip on MAMBA/GLADIATOR - yes or no

Postby Sprite » Sun Oct 08, 2017 19:45

I have the fat Black mamba mk3. From my understanding I have to get the 5-pin but just need the PCB adapter, right? I'm a little thrown off by this statement though:

To connect MCG to Mamba it only takes replacing 5-pin connector with 3-pin one, and plugging it into a different socket.
However to connect MCG to Fat Mamba one would need an extra PCB because the socket that was meant for grip is already occupied by axes.


So am I supposed to replace the 5-pin connector with a 3-pin one, which wouldnt that mean I have to buy a 3-pin MCG?

Also on the store page it states this on the 5-pin MCG page:

Not compatible with Mamba Mk.II and Black/Fat Mamba Mk.III (Compatible versions will be made available later!)


So do I simply wait until a compatible MCG is released before placing an order? Any clarification would be greatly appreciated

User avatar
AeroGator
Posts: 397
Joined: Wed May 31, 2017 7:40
Has thanked: 98 times
Been thanked: 155 times

Re: MCG grip on MAMBA/GLADIATOR - yes or no

Postby AeroGator » Mon Oct 09, 2017 9:35

Theoretically, it is possible to replace the 5-pin connector with a 3-pin one, but on the scale from "easy" to "no way" it is on the far right end, somewhere between "quite tricky" and "undoable".
I'd suggest you wait a bit. We're going to produce 5-pin grips with the 2nd batch. The 1st one will be all-3-pin grips for obvious reasons.
Later on, we will continue making 5-pin devices in proportional numbers so no one of our old customers feel left overboard.
Best Regards,
AeroGator

Sprite
Posts: 9
Joined: Wed Nov 04, 2015 19:05
Been thanked: 1 time

Re: MCG grip on MAMBA/GLADIATOR - yes or no

Postby Sprite » Mon Oct 09, 2017 19:33

Excellent to hear! Thank you very much!


Return to “General discussions”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 7 guests