question about VKB-Sim MCG-MG (legacy 5-pin) grip

Moderator: AdminGroup

StarLordRick

question about VKB-Sim MCG-MG (legacy 5-pin) grip

Postby StarLordRick » Tue Sep 26, 2017 15:49

it says NOTE: Not compatible with Mamba Mk.II and Black/Fat Mamba Mk.III but works with 5-pin connector for legacy VKB controllers (Vintage Mamba, Gladiator Pro Mk.I) ISnt the vintage mamba the same as the black mamba limited edition like the one i have just with the me109 grip? cause ive seen pictures and they have the same base with all the buttons and switches like mine. I dont see how its not compatible Please someone shed some light on this? Maybe my brain just broken lol

Etzu

Re: question about VKB-Sim MCG-MG (legacy 5-pin) grip

Postby Etzu » Wed Sep 27, 2017 18:59

https://vkbcontrollers.com/?product=vkb-sim-mcg-mg-pro

Not compatible with Mamba Mk.II and Black/Fat Mamba Mk.III (Compatible variants will be made available later!)

That's extremely disappointing. I've been asking for months and the communication was yes, they would be offering legacy versions -- but now it seems only on certain versions. Sigh. What's even more frustrating, they're offering support for another supplier (TM Warthog) before their own lineup!

invictus84

Postby invictus84 » Thu Sep 28, 2017 1:48

The Vintage Mamba with the plastic KG12 grip is not compatible with the older Fat or Black Mambas. I know this from experience and also based on a discussion with UIV via PM

As for the news about the MCG, I'm very disappointed. I guess those of us with the older sticks are out of luck for now...or maybe for good?

KV
ATAG_Invictus

AeroGator

Postby AeroGator » Thu Sep 28, 2017 12:27

A.
CONNECTORS in the BASE.
("Connectors" are hardware (physical) couplings, usually "male" and "female". Just hardware, no less, no more).

A1 - Female 5-pin air force style connector:
- Mamba Мк2\3
- Vintage Mamba
- Gladiator Pro Mk1
A2 - Springed 3-pin connector (rev A)
- Gladiator Pro Mk2
- Gunfighter RevA
A3 - 3-pin connector patch (platform)
- Gunfighter RevB
The above listed are the CONNECTORS.

B.
Now, the PROTOCOLS.
("PROTOCOLS", unlike "connectors", are not "material/physical" plugs and sockets. They are pieces of software made to en/decrypt the signal/data that is received through the dedicated "connector" itself).
There are 2 of them:
B1 - 5-wire button protocol
- Mamba Mk2\3, Warthog
B2 - 3-wire digital button-axis protocol
- Vintage Mamba, Gladiators Pro MkI,II, GFs A/B
The above listed are the PROTOCOLS.
NOTE: Vintage Mamba and Gladiators MkI Pro are equipped with 5-wire connectors but 3-wire protocol. 2 wires are not used.
Mamba Mk2\3 internal controller on its PCB has a connector that can be used for digital grip protocol.

However there is also a Fat Mamba. It is based on Mamba but it has buttons and axes on its sides.
To connect MCG to Mamba it only takes replacing 5-pin connector with 3-pin one, and plugging it into a different socket.
However to connect MCG to Fat Mamba one would need an extra PCB because the socket that was meant for grip is already occupied by axes.
The above mentioned extra PCB allows plugging in additional jacks. By installing this PCB you will effectively turn your Fat Mamba into Vintage Mamba. Don't forget to cast a spell "Mambio transformio!"

As everyone can see, MCG GRIP CAN BE USED WITH MAMBA Mk2\3 and Vintage, GLADIATOR, and GUNFIGHTER.
It might be easy and straightforward, or take some 15 mins for installing an extra (cheap and easily available) PCB into the grip, but it is possible and perfectly doable.
Therefore I am closing this case.
Any new claims that "MCG cannot be used with Mamba" will be referred to this post.
Best Regards,
AeroGator

invictus84

Postby invictus84 » Fri Sep 29, 2017 0:54

Thank you for the detailed reply. UIV did mention in his PMs about the PCB, and your reply helps further clarify this point. It does not, however, lessen my disappointment that I cannot order the MCG on Monday. Perhaps I should have stressed that last point a bit more...
ATAG_Invictus

Etzu

Postby Etzu » Sat Sep 30, 2017 1:43

invictus84 wrote:Thank you for the detailed reply. UIV did mention in his PMs about the PCB, and your reply helps further clarify this point. It does not, however, lessen my disappointment that I cannot order the MCG on Monday. Perhaps I should have stressed that last point a bit more...

Exactly. What invivtus84 replied is my feelings also. I hope you will release the PCB option soon, many of us feel a bit left out in the cold.

invictus84

Postby invictus84 » Mon Oct 16, 2017 14:24

I hope you will release the PCB option soon, many of us feel a bit left out in the cold.

I can't speak for others, but I know I do.
ATAG_Invictus

Return to “General discussions”