Are your gunfighter's metal cams dead silent?

Moderator: AdminGroup

gavros777

Are your gunfighter's metal cams dead silent?

Postby gavros777 » Wed Jul 12, 2017 10:39

When you move the stick in small circular motions can you feel the metal parts inside moving, like the rotor moving on top of the cam?

I'm trying to figure out if this is normal as on the thrustmaster t16000m i have there's no feeling of parts moving inside the base at all when i move the stick in small circular motions.
I was also thinking if it's ok to put some kind of lubricant on the metal parts of the gunfighter so they move more smoothly and silently.

graysson

Re: Are your gunfighter's metal cams dead silent?

Postby graysson » Wed Jul 12, 2017 18:49

I hear it when i pass through the center with my stick.
While i barely hear something on the y-axis its a lot louder with the x-axis.
My guess is that it is the cam itself.
Since its the same with both of my Gunfighters i dont think it is an error with the stick.

p.s. I use the stick out of the box with #10 cams and #20 springs.

marcusstratus

Postby marcusstratus » Wed Jul 12, 2017 19:39

I've been wondering about lubrication on the Gunfighter base as well. I know of some great greases that would work well with plastic components but if it's NOT recommended, that would be good to know also.

AeroGator

Postby AeroGator » Thu Jul 13, 2017 5:57

Well, you may lubricate the cams - but you don't have to, and putting it a bit stronger, not really you should.
Translating this into practical language, a lubricated joystick will work for 120 years; a dry joystick will work for 119.
Besides, if at some point you decide you prefer the mechanism to run dry again, it will be really hard to remove all grease.
Also, grease will keep all dust particles and whatever else right where they fall into it, which will mean that every now and then you will have to wipe the working surfaces.

In a word, the choice is yours, but I wouldn't go farther than placing a tiniest drop of thin oil into (not onto) the bearing once a year or so.
Best Regards,
AeroGator

gavros777

Postby gavros777 » Thu Jul 13, 2017 10:21

Thank you guys for the helpful replies!
I have the damper's vertical nuts loose almost all the way, what is the difference from having them from too tight to completely loose?
Does tighter means less feeling of the moving metal parts when moving the stick in circular motions?

AeroGator

Postby AeroGator » Thu Jul 13, 2017 11:28

gavros777 wrote:damper

Dampers' function is to prevent the stick from oscillating after you moved it out of central position and released. No less, no more. Take them as shock absorbers in the car. They are no springs, hence they don't make riding softer; however they damp the oscillations hence making riding smoother.
Best Regards,
AeroGator

gavros777

Postby gavros777 » Thu Jul 13, 2017 15:28

Thanks a lot for this helpful info!

marcusstratus

Postby marcusstratus » Fri Jul 14, 2017 21:33

AeroGator wrote: I wouldn't go farther than placing a tiniest drop of thin oil into (not onto) the bearing once a year or so.

Appreciate the answer and this statement in particular is the last thing I would have expected because so often manufacturers say not to add lubricant to a bearing that's sealed

AeroGator

Postby AeroGator » Sat Jul 15, 2017 8:56

8)
I said, I would not go any farther, which doesn't necessarily mean I would go even that far! :)
In fact, there are two things in need of clarification.
a - The tiniest drop - is the tiniest drop you can physically deliver to the crevice between the bearing and its seal. Imagine dipping a sewing needle 1 mm into thin oil, then carefully bringing this amount of oil to the crevice and allowing it to seep in.
This would be an annual ration for a bearing.
b - Is it really necessary? - nope, unless you use your joystick really hard (and when you don't, your kids are at it).

But important thing is that it is YOU to judge, based on your subjective feeling, whether the system needs oiling or not.
What I said could be boiled down to "do not overlube".
Best Regards,
AeroGator

marcusstratus

Postby marcusstratus » Sat Jul 15, 2017 16:27

Understood. haha actually, I am a sewing machine mechanic for my day job!

Return to “General discussions”