MCG-Pro vs. TM Warthog Stick

Moderator: AdminGroup

kosta

MCG-Pro vs. TM Warthog Stick

Postby kosta » Sun Jul 09, 2017 1:33

Hello,

can someone please tell me why would I get the MCG-Pro stick, which is made out of plastic, for $160 vs. metal molded TM Warthog Stick with an adapter? TM WH goes for about $200, so it's a little bit more, but I see no significant upside for the VKB stick.

Caillin

Re: MCG-Pro vs. TM Warthog Stick

Postby Caillin » Sun Jul 09, 2017 3:05

Off the top of my head:

• Warthog being metal means the stick is very heavy. This leads to needing much stronger spring strength in the gimbal in order to counter-act it's tendency to droop forward.
  • The use of an adapter would add an extra bit of height which is not ideal if you plan to use the stick in a desktop configuration (fine if it's in a simpit)
  • MCG has two contactless MaRS (magnetic, high resolution) sensor hat switches. This allows them to be used as a high fidelity slew control in flight sims, or precise thruster control in space sims
  • MCG has an extra trigger in front of the dual zone trigger. This gives a lot more options in space sims that might have more than 2 firing groups
  • MCG uses a MaRS axis for the pinky lever which gives much more fidelity when using this as a wheel brake option in flight sims, or an additional axis in space sims (you can never have too many axis!)
  • The ABS plastic that VKB uses is much better strength and reliability than the cheap Zinc that Thrustmaster use on their Warthog product. For some reason there is a perception in the joystick consumer space that metal=quality, plastic=cheap, where in actual fact, most OE joystick grips in production aircraft are made from plastic
  • The switches in the hats in the Warthog are also prone to failure, which is less likely to be a problem in the MCG as they are using high quality OMRON switches
  • The MCG also has an adjustable palm rest which can't be overstated how important this is if you have small hands (like me) for being able to reach the upper hats/switches. Many users of the Warhog with small hands complain that they can't reach the upper buttons, which makes sense as the stick was designed to be used with gloves, and beside your leg in a real cockpit, not on a desk.

So really, in any objective way apart from personal opinions on the ergonomics or style of the stick, the MCG Pro is better in many tangible ways. However, the great thing about having a modular system and VKB committing to supporting grips from other brands, is that you have a choice, which is better for everyone.

For my own personal taste, I like a really light, precise throw mainly for space sims, and the VKB products are the only ones that deliver. I run my KG12 ABS plastic grip on the Gladiator Pro base/gimbal, and the combination of the strong, light grip works perfectly with the light springs and soft center cams for exactly the feel I prefer. I'm really looking forward to the MCG Pro grip to give more button and axis options on the stick, and something more suitable for modern fighter aircraft and space sims.

kosta

Postby kosta » Sun Jul 09, 2017 10:15

Thank you.

In that case, I'm really looking forward to using that stick with my Prepar3d and E:D.

Besides, I have the Gunfighter Pro, and I want to use the additional parts for it... I believe the base-extension is coming, twist, and then hopefully not that far away, a throttle quadrant.

Caillin

Postby Caillin » Sun Jul 09, 2017 10:26

Yeah, I'm really excited to see what they reveal with their new modular throttle design.

marcusstratus

Postby marcusstratus » Sun Jul 09, 2017 18:07

Something that wasn't mentioned in the previous comment is that all the hats on the WH grip are digital buttons whereas on the MCG they're analog or digital buttons. When I use my HOTAS I have vertical and lateral thrusters on thumb stick. Having analog would give me more precise control.

kosta

Postby kosta » Sun Jul 09, 2017 21:28

That's definitely very cool, although not having that precision didn't bother me. Maybe when I have it, I'll think differently. I only know I need a great precision axis for steering an A320 in the Prepar3D, and this is where I either need a twist or some other kind of axis.

Caillin

Postby Caillin » Sun Jul 09, 2017 23:36

marcusstratus wrote:Something that wasn't mentioned in the previous comment is that all the hats on the WH grip are digital buttons whereas on the MCG they're analog or digital buttons. When I use my HOTAS I have vertical and lateral thrusters on thumb stick. Having analog would give me more precise control.

Actually, as mentioned in my reply, only two of the hats are Analogue axises. The other hats/buttons are Omron microswitches. Also, the Analogue hats can be configured as digital on/off if preferred in the control software.

marcusstratus

Postby marcusstratus » Wed Jul 12, 2017 19:29

Caillin wrote:Actually, as mentioned in my reply, only two of the hats are Analogue axises. The other hats/buttons are Omron microswitches. Also, the Analogue hats can be configured as digital on/off if preferred in the control software.

Yes, right. I suppose the way I wrote it sounded like ALL the hats are analog whereas I meant it as the analog hats on the MCG pro are only Digital on the Warthog

Caillin

Postby Caillin » Wed Jul 12, 2017 23:36

The warthog hats are actually buttons not a digital axis. Whereas the two MCG hats are full range analogue axises like a slew control or a much more accurate version of the stick on the CH Pro throttle.

Return to “General discussions”