Dual sticks + pedals concept advice

Moderator: AdminGroup

Zyridiz

Dual sticks + pedals concept advice

Postby Zyridiz » Fri Jun 30, 2017 8:34

Hi!

I'm certain I'm going dual sticks AND pedals. Knowing this in the beginning makes more sense -- I don't currently have a stick and I'd like to buy based on end result.

I almost purchased the gunfighter (my first choice) but it lacks twist. I'm aware that if going pedals I won't need twist but I won't be buying everything all at once, nor will I expect to always use dual stick and pedals.
If I had my way the gunfighter would have lockable twist. I can't figure out if the gladiator's twist (my second choice) is lockable and without knowing the details of the gunfighter ECM: whether it comes with twist or not, lockable or not.

Please advise.

pretagonist

Re: Dual sticks + pedals concept advice

Postby pretagonist » Fri Jun 30, 2017 11:12

I'm also going dual sticks and pedals. It's the best way to fly space sims IMHO. I started out with a x53 stick + t16000m + saitek pro pedals but while it was awesome the quality was lacking. Currently I'm building up to my dream setup with two VKB grips + twist, crosswind pedals and possibly even a VKB throttle for coasting and flight sims.

The gunfighter is superior to the gladiator in every way except the twist. VKB has talked about twist coming to the Gunfighter line several times so it's very likely it will show up at some point, hopefully at the same time as the Modern Combat Grip.

As far as we know the gunfighter will have a detachable twist and changing grips is quite easy. So it won't benefit from being lockable. Although there is concern that the twist will add height making desk mounted operation unergonomic. This is no issue for me as I have monstertech mounts that can handle the height difference with no problems.

rrohde

Postby rrohde » Fri Jun 30, 2017 22:12

Please keep in mind that with the release of the MCG grips (both left/right versions), there will be an option to also buy a twist adapter for each grip to add the desired twist option for the left and right hand! :)

BTW - a VKB Gunfighter HOSAS solution with MCGs will very much look like this:

Aurora.png
VKB North America
https://VKBcontrollers.com

Zyridiz

Postby Zyridiz » Sat Jul 01, 2017 9:53

Twist adapter?

Twist adapter???

I'm so in the dark.

graysson

Postby graysson » Sun Jul 02, 2017 20:46

I went for dual Gunfighters and rudder. So far i only have one gunfighter and the rudder. But from my testing so far i can say that the rudder is so much better than my old Saitek rudder and even the T.16000M twist. I still need twist on the left hand grip for strafe up/down in Star Citizen but for roll the rudder is way better.
I guess in the end ill buy two twist adapters anyway just to have all options.

marcusstratus

Postby marcusstratus » Mon Jul 03, 2017 18:33

Having begun playing Star Citizen after playing Elite Dangerous, I would say that I'm no longer interested in twist on my right hand. With full motion pitch and yaw in Star Citizen, it makes the small range of motion you have with Z-Axis twist very difficult to control. I'm going to have MCG with no twist on right and a VKB stick on left that has twist (all three translation axes). I'll use foot pedals for the 3rd rotational axis (roll, in my case) Lastly I'll be using a head tracking suite for headlook and likely aiming Gimbles. This also means I'm going to have to basically re-learn how to fly... right now if I switch yaw to X-axis I fly like a drunkard.

Playing Elite Dangerous, using right hand stick with twist and left hand throttle has done me well for 800+ hours. Not the same for Star Citizen because many of the ships are smaller and more maneuverable and SC doesn't nerf Yaw.
Just my experience.

rrohde

Postby rrohde » Tue Jul 04, 2017 1:54

Zyridiz wrote:Twist adapter?

Twist adapter???

I'm so in the dark.

The twist adapter is still part of the development of the MCG, and for now, there hasn't been any news - so there's nothing to show at this time. As usual, when we get closer to the MCG being out, there will be another announcement that will also feature the twist adapter.
VKB North America
https://VKBcontrollers.com

aniron

Postby aniron » Wed Jul 05, 2017 11:26

marcusstratus wrote:Having begun playing Star Citizen after playing Elite Dangerous, I would say that I'm no longer interested in twist on my right hand. With full motion pitch and yaw in Star Citizen, it makes the small range of motion you have with Z-Axis twist very difficult to control. I'm going to have MCG with no twist on right and a VKB stick on left that has twist (all three translation axes). I'll use foot pedals for the 3rd rotational axis (roll, in my case) Lastly I'll be using a head tracking suite for headlook and likely aiming Gimbles. This also means I'm going to have to basically re-learn how to fly... right now if I switch yaw to X-axis I fly like a drunkard.

Playing Elite Dangerous, using right hand stick with twist and left hand throttle has done me well for 800+ hours. Not the same for Star Citizen because many of the ships are smaller and more maneuverable and SC doesn't nerf Yaw.
Just my experience.

In my experience it is better to forego twist altogether for Star Citizen. Best lefthand stick would be a delta platform geometry, but barring that I go with vertical translation on pedal toebrakes.

marcusstratus

Postby marcusstratus » Wed Jul 05, 2017 18:50

Indeed. I've considered this also

Zyridiz

Postby Zyridiz » Sat Jul 15, 2017 9:09

For the money, wouldn't you want lockable twist? I realize I know little about flight sim equipment, but to me it feels like that outside-looking-in feeling where some might be too close to the issue to see the problem. So, I'm feelin like lockable twist should be pretty standard.

All I know is, I believe dual gunfighters (with lockable twist) and pedals is the way to go. A lefty KG12 and a righty KG12 grip.

I thought I heard mention there was a lefty KG12 grip coming. I sifted through my emails from VKB and I can't find it mentioned. I was sure that's where I read it was coming.
The twist adapter I know it was mentioned in these forums.

marcusstratus

Postby marcusstratus » Sat Jul 15, 2017 16:20

Don't know about Lefty KG12 either, but lefty MCG is definitely in the works. For space sims I can't imagine using the KG12!

But you're right about lockable twist. There if you want it, solid if you don't. Other peoples concerns are quite valid in that if it is lockable it has to be good quality... so removable is just as well and I think is more the case keeping in line with the modularity of VKB products

Zyridiz

Postby Zyridiz » Sun Jul 16, 2017 4:49

I definitely need a lefty KG12. All grips should be available left and right. I mean, why not?

My unconfirmed final plan is a lefty KG12 and righty KG12, with pedals, twist adapters for both sticks. I think I'm close enough to email vkb support for some purchasing advise. Last I received they're tellin me some of what I'm after is coming in September'ish.

Return to “General discussions”