Is the MCG lacking a pinky/shift button?

Moderator: AdminGroup

Rangoon

Is the MCG lacking a pinky/shift button?

Postby Rangoon » Tue May 09, 2017 7:30

Overall, the MCG is looking really nice! I can't imagine I won't end up purchasing one.

Looking at the recent photos of the MCG variants, none of them appear to have a pinky button. I love that they have an analog "wheel brake" style pinky lever, but a real strength of the Warthog and CH Fighterstick is the pinky button. It's very effective as a shift button, since it allows the hand to stretch from there and reach other buttons easily with the thumb and other fingers (especially the thumb). Is this truly an oversight? Am I just not seeing it? Is it still being designed? Or was this a deliberate omission?

I assume the analog lever can be used as a shift button, but then what's the point of having the analog lever? I can't think of many HOTAS profiles I've designed or used over the years that didn't use that pinky button as a shift. I suppose through the use of "modes" or recognized "state" such as Gear Up State or Gear Down State you could have the analog lever act as an axis while the gear is down and a shift button while the gear is up or something. Does the VKB software allow for this sort of implementation?

pretagonist

Re: Is the MCG lacking a pinky/shift button?

Postby pretagonist » Tue May 09, 2017 8:54

As far as I understand they have moved the pinky switch in order to work with the brake lever. So now it's more of a middle finger or ring finger switch.

I have circled it here:

Victorus

Postby Victorus » Tue May 09, 2017 10:29

Yes. After hot and long discussion with community))
Руководство пользователя по контроллерам VKB (VKB controllers User Guide) Ru&En
https://disk.yandex.ru/d/LlqiYtIrIetBOQ

jOKe

Postby jOKe » Tue May 09, 2017 10:56

Victorus wrote:Yes. After hot and long discussion with community))

That's a shame. I can't imagine it being comfortable to use the middle finger button while using the pinky for the lever. I use the pinky button for voice comms so it's important for me that I can press that at all times while pressing any other combination of buttons.

Rangoon

Postby Rangoon » Tue May 09, 2017 12:13

I see. I searched for "pinky" on the forum and came up empty.

So it's easy/comfortable to depress this button with a ring finger while simultaneously depressing any of the other buttons (including 4-ways in all directions) with the thumb and index finger? I had seen this side button initially, but did not think it looked like this would work without large hands. Will be great if so! :)

Victorus

Postby Victorus » Tue May 09, 2017 20:03

Long time ago I have made additional button on Kobra grip. Used as second shift. PCB of Kobra grip has one unused physical line. I've placed it on the left side and pressed by ring finger. No difficulties.
Руководство пользователя по контроллерам VKB (VKB controllers User Guide) Ru&En
https://disk.yandex.ru/d/LlqiYtIrIetBOQ

Sokol1

Postby Sokol1 » Tue May 09, 2017 21:34

"Shift" in this middle position allow use for brake lever too and possibility the use of adjustable hand rest, what is not possible with shift in little finger, with hand rest in upper position, e.g. for small hand, the shift became out of reach. In CH/Tm F-16'ish grips people with small hands need "adjust" their fingers: :mrgreen:

Rangoon

Postby Rangoon » Wed May 10, 2017 7:42

I'm glad I asked - sounds like this side shift button should work quite well. Thanks for the replies.

Return to “General discussions”