MCG Compatibility - Special Grip, or Grip Adapter?

Moderator: AdminGroup

Dedicated MCG grip w/ 5-pin connector, or Adapter w/ 5-pin connector to convert the 3-pin MCG?

A dedicated MCG MG grip that has the 5-pin adapter built in
46%
An Adapter for the 3-pin version of the MCG (which would add 20mm to the height of the Grip itself)
54%

Total votes: 37

rrohde

MCG Compatibility - Special Grip, or Grip Adapter?

Postby rrohde » Mon May 08, 2017 2:51

Hi guys,

As you already know, VKB HQ is aiming for backward compatibility between the upcoming Modern Combat Grip MCG and some older VKB controllers, such as the Mamba Mk.II/Mk.III, Vintage Mamba, and the Gladiator Pro Mk.I sticks. All these controllers share the same 5-pin connector.

However, the MCG will come by default with the new 3-pin adapter, compatible with the Gladiator Pro Mk.II and the Gunfighter.

VKB HQ would like to know what do you prefer? A dedicated MCG variant (the MCG MG) that comes with a 5-pin connector built in, or an adapter piece that would adapt the MCG with 3-pin connector down to the 5-pin connector (by doing so, adding 20 mm in height to the grip itself).

Please vote in the poll to let us know what you prefer! Thank you!
VKB North America
https://VKBcontrollers.com

Caillin

Re: MCG Compatibility - Special Grip, or Grip Adapter?

Postby Caillin » Mon May 08, 2017 2:54

My number one preference would be to be able to buy some kind of 3pin upgrade kit for the controller in the base. Ideally I'd like to convert my Gladiator Pro to 3pin without the extra height. For desktop users, an extra 20mm is just too much to use comfortably, so that'd restrict the option to people who have mounts or a cockpit.

I'm happy with the compromise of building in the converter into the grip as a limited run if the above is not an option.

Wowaegon

Postby Wowaegon » Mon May 08, 2017 3:19

"My number one preference would be to be able to buy some kind of 3pin upgrade kit for the controller in the base. Ideally I'd like to convert my Gladiator Pro to 3pin without the extra height."

I've probably already beaten this horse enough, but ditto. :D
Last edited by Wowaegon on Mon May 08, 2017 20:51, edited 1 time in total.

Lonestar501

Postby Lonestar501 » Mon May 08, 2017 17:28

As a current owner of a Gladiator Pro Mk.I and being interested in the Gunfighter, I would very much prefer the adapter option. This should solve the compatibility issue with all future sticks (KG12, Space Grip) so nobody has to worry about this issue again. It would also allow me to use the sticks I will buy for both Joystick bases eventually, which I think would be a huge disadvantage of a special 5-pin stick.

The issue of the additional 2 cm length of the joystick caused by the adapter could be counteracted with using a joystick mount on your desk. This possibility, combined with the non-forwards compatibility of a 5-pin stick makes the adapter option much more appealing to me.

Of course an upgrade kit for the Galdiator Pro Mk.I to 3-Pin connector would be optimal for the user, but since that is not on the menu, my vote has to go to the adapter.

Radsoc

Postby Radsoc » Mon May 08, 2017 19:57

What are the implications?

Let's say everything else is equal, except 2 cm extra height. Why is that a problem - Ergonomy?

How will the adapter work with the grip extension? Will it be as durable?

What does it mean in terms of cost?

What will this adapter mean to the overall look of the setup?

Won't it be possible to make a general joystick design with space for an interchangeable internal adaptor module for either 3 or 5 pin?

Wowaegon

Postby Wowaegon » Mon May 08, 2017 23:15

Hi VKB. Since there seem to be at least a few of us that would prefer a way to upgrade our 5-pin gladiator pro mk1 to the 3-pin connector, could we at least put that on the table as a possibility? To me that would be the ideal solution. If one can be produced, I can personally guarantee the purchase of one along with at least 2 new grips when the ones I want are available. :D

Caillin

Postby Caillin » Mon May 08, 2017 23:42

I use an Orbweaver in my left hand, so a table mount is out of the question. Adding 20mm to the current height is going to cause pretty severe wrist pain as well as compromised control, as you can't keep your elbow on the desk. It would be acceptable on the gunfighter, as that was the whole point of that model, however the Galdiator and Gladiator Pro were always designed as desktop first.

I can't imagine the base controller board is that expensive to rule out a 3pin upgrade kit in addition to a 5-pin integrated grip for those that don't want to upgrade. I'm personally happy to pay extra to upgrade to 3 pin as I fully understand why VKB went this direction to be able to make less comprised grip designs in the future due to lack of space inside the grip. I wouldn't want for them to stop innovating and pushing forward for the sake of legacy support.

rrohde

Postby rrohde » Tue May 09, 2017 3:52

Wowaegon wrote:Hi VKB. Since there seem to be at least a few of us that would prefer a way to upgrade our 5-pin gladiator pro mk1 to the 3-pin connector, could we at least put that on the table as a possibility? To me that would be the ideal solution. If one can be produced, I can personally guarantee the purchase of one along with at least 2 new grips when the ones I want are available. :D

I will run this by VKB HQ and see what the say. I agree, that would be nice to have!
VKB North America

Caillin

Postby Caillin » Tue May 09, 2017 5:18

Put me down for one as well (3-wire base mounted upgrade kit) + an MCG Pro, again, if possible.

rrohde

Postby rrohde » Wed May 10, 2017 4:56

Hi Guys,

according to UIV, it's possible to have an 'Upgrade Kit' to allow your Glad Pro Mk.I to be upgraded to the newer 3-pin connector from the Mk.II. This is good news, I just need to provide numbers to VKB HQ for production purposes.

So, if you're interested, please email me so I can get a head count for this specifically: northamerica@vkb-sim.pro
VKB North America

Caillin

Postby Caillin » Wed May 10, 2017 5:13

Great news rrohde, email sent :)

Bourrinopathe

Postby Bourrinopathe » Wed May 10, 2017 6:11

I will have to be confirmed, but I think an upgrade kit for a Black Mamba Mk.III (cams gimbal), would be the same as the Gladiator Pro Mk.I to Mk.II 3-pins connector.
So that option should interest even more users (the Cobra grip will then become obsolete though).

Also, quick question: if there's an adapter. Would it be possible to get a twist grip adapter later with that configuration? That would be two adapters? Or will there be a converter+twist grip adapter?
/// ВКБ Black Mamba MkIII / ВКБ T-Rudder MkII / ВКБ Gladiator / X-55 Rhino throttle / OpenTrack /// UTC +4 ///

Wowaegon

Postby Wowaegon » Wed May 10, 2017 13:47

Thanks a lot rrohde and VKB! I've emailed my request. Now let's get some grips available to attach to these things!! :D

invictus84

Postby invictus84 » Wed May 10, 2017 21:54

Adapter would be better and I voted as such....but I'd be fine with either option.
ATAG_Invictus

Sprite

Postby Sprite » Thu May 11, 2017 5:20

BM Mk III owner here, I plan to get the MCG and the KG12, so i suppose the easiest option would be a 3 pin to 5 pin adapter so I can easily interchange the grips. I do like the idea of having an upgrade kit though, if there's an option for that I would totally jump on it

Return to “General discussions”