Who wants an MCG for their Mamba or Gladiator Pro Mk.I?

Moderator: AdminGroup

Do you want an MCG MG or MCG MG Pro for your older VKB Stick?

MCG MG (14 programmable buttons, 5 analog axes)
8%
MCG MG Pro (24 programmable buttons, 6 analog axes)
92%

Total votes: 13

rrohde

Re: Who wants an MCG for their Mamba or Gladiator Pro Mk.I?

Postby rrohde » Fri May 05, 2017 21:51

I don't really agree. The implication with that statement is that a single grip will fit both. I have both the gunfighter and the gladiator pro mk 1 so my expectation was that I could buy one grip and swap between the two bases. I understand things change and the pogo pin setup is a *much* better solution than the 5-pin setup for swapping grips, but I wanted the ability to mix and match based on what base suited what stick best. That's why I'd really rather have a way to convert my gladiator pro mk 1 to the 3-pin (without just buying a mk 2 that is) than one off production runs that I'm sure will end at some point.[/quote]

Let's see if there's an engineering solution for that - which would be nice. UIV's the man to answers these things, and I will point him to this thread. :)
VKB North America
https://VKBcontrollers.com

UIV
Мастер

Postby UIV » Sat May 06, 2017 2:26

There is only one way to do this - to make an adapter with 5 and 3 pins connectors. But this will increase the height of the Gladiator's grip (not less than 20 mm)

Wowaegon

Postby Wowaegon » Sun May 07, 2017 0:06

There's no way to update the glad pro mk1 gimbal to glad pro mk2 with the 3-pin? If not, then that's a pretty big disappointment especially if (from the sound of things) the adapter is no longer in the plans. One of the reasons that I purchased the gladiator pro (before it was labeled mk1) was the promise of compatibility with future grips. Then finding out that the statement:

"A note to first-generation Gladiator Pro owners:
All future VKB-Sim grips will be designed to fit both the first-gen Gladiator Pro and the new
Mk.II alike!"

really means "we'll make some one-off grips instead of a single grip compatible with both connections" makes me question how long my brand new gunfighter will be supported.

Thanks for the info regardless..

aniron

Postby aniron » Sun May 07, 2017 3:31

Would a 5-wire version (As I understand it's standard I2C as opposed to the proprietary "digital protocol" of the 3-wire version?) of the grip be compatible with diy solutions such as Arduino with the Wire library?

I.e. is whatever information required to read the grip button/axis state open and not a trade secret?

If so then yes, I'd be interested, despite not owning a Mamba or Gladiator.

Especially interested for a left-handed grip.

UIV
Мастер

Postby UIV » Sun May 07, 2017 4:05

aniron wrote:Would a 5-wire version (As I understand it's standard I2C as opposed to the proprietary "digital protocol" of the 3-wire version?) of the grip be compatible with diy solutions such as Arduino with the Wire library?

MCG-TM use 5-wire version and compatible.
MCG and MCG-Pro - not compatible.

UIV
Мастер

Postby UIV » Sun May 07, 2017 4:12

Wowaegon wrote:There's no way to update the glad pro mk1 gimbal to glad pro mk2 with the 3-pin?

For upgrade need to change the central rod of gimbal. It is necessary to use special tools and of course to have experience. It will be difficult for most GL Pro MkI users.

Wowaegon

Postby Wowaegon » Sun May 07, 2017 13:12

UIV wrote:
Wowaegon wrote:There's no way to update the glad pro mk1 gimbal to glad pro mk2 with the 3-pin?

For upgrade need to change the central rod of gimbal. It is necessary to use special tools and of course to have experience. It will be difficult for most GL Pro MkI users.

Fair enough, but what about this? https://vkbcontrollers.com/?product=vkb ... pgrade-kit

Is this still in the works? Would it work with the glad pro mk1? If not, that essentially means that you've planned for an upgrade path for Gladiator, Gladiator Mk2 but NOT the Gladiator Pro Mk1.

EDIT: And to be honest, I just pulled my gladiator pro mk1 open and I don't see anything that's particularly difficult in replacing the central pin nor requiring any special tools outside of a wrench and a hex key. Unless you are suggesting that I'd need to replace the bearings in there as well. I'm less concerned about my ability to do the upgrade than I am with the availability of the parts. If I could buy the required parts, I could replace the pin.

aniron

Postby aniron » Thu May 11, 2017 15:43

UIV wrote:
aniron wrote:Would a 5-wire version (As I understand it's standard I2C as opposed to the proprietary "digital protocol" of the 3-wire version?) of the grip be compatible with diy solutions such as Arduino with the Wire library?

MCG-TM use 5-wire version and compatible.
MCG and MCG-Pro - not compatible.

So the compatibility issue is with the analog ministicks and paddle itself, not your choice of protocol/connector?
Or did you still use your proprietary "digital protocol" with the Mamba and Gladiator Pro Mk.I, despite not having analogs on those grips?

A Mamba/Gladiator Mk1 version of the MCG-Pro wouldn't make a difference for the purposes of using it with an Arduino or other non-VKB electronics?

UIV
Мастер

Postby UIV » Fri May 12, 2017 2:30

aniron wrote:So the compatibility issue is with the analog ministicks and paddle itself, not your choice of protocol/connector?
Or did you still use your proprietary "digital protocol" with the Mamba and Gladiator Pro Mk.I, despite not having analogs on those grips?
A Mamba/Gladiator Mk1 version of the MCG-Pro wouldn't make a difference for the purposes of using it with an Arduino or other non-VKB electronics?

Not our. It's Thrustmaster's limitations
Mamba and Gladiator are supports both protocols
MCG\MCG Pro don't work with non-VKb electronics.

aniron

Postby aniron » Fri May 12, 2017 19:13

UIV wrote:
aniron wrote:So the compatibility issue is with the analog ministicks and paddle itself, not your choice of protocol/connector?

Not our. It's Thrustmaster's limitations
Mamba and Gladiator are supports both protocols
MCG\MCG Pro don't work with non-VKb electronics.

Thrustmaster?
I'm talking about DIY, like with an Arduino board.

If you use standard i2c and/or provide info on how to read the button/axis states then hooking the grip up to an Arduino or similar should work, no?

I understand from previous answers that the "digital protocol" and pinout used with the 3-wire Gunfigher and mk2 Gladiator is considered a VKB trade secret which you are unwilling to share with customers, but my question was weather this would also be true of the communication protocol and pinout for the Mamba/Mk1 Gladiator and its 5-wire connection.

If not, then a special edition 5-wire MCG-Pro would be useful for DIY joystick builders.

Return to “General discussions”