Gunfighter vs Gladiator Pro

Moderator: AdminGroup

fury1ord

Gunfighter vs Gladiator Pro

Postby fury1ord » Sat Mar 25, 2017 22:34

Hello, VKB team!

Could you please explain me what is the difference between the "table" variant of Gunfighter and Gladiator Pro?
I have been following Gladiator and Gladiator Pro since their release and the difference between those joysticks is clear. But since Gunfighter and Gunfighter Pro announcement I got lost :(
I mean that it is not clear whether the gimbal and internal mechanics for both joysticks are the same or Gunfighter is somehow superior to the Gladiator Pro due to higher price.

Could you please explain the differences in the bullet points so everyone confused as me can decide which joystick they should purchase? Thanks.

Ron61

Re: Gunfighter vs Gladiator Pro

Postby Ron61 » Sat Mar 25, 2017 23:05

There are different mechanics. Compare yourself.Gunfighter has the ability to adjust the stiffness of the damper. On Gladiator Pro this is not. Because of the lack of this damper :) .

1.png
2.png
GladiatorPro_6.jpg

fury1ord

Postby fury1ord » Sat Mar 25, 2017 23:32

What about the set of the springs which come with Gladiator Pro? I thought the set of the springs was responsible for the joystick stiffness for the Gladiator Pro :)

Is this the only difference? Ginfighter costs $299 and Gladiator Pro MkII costs $220. It is $80 difference in price...

Caillin

Postby Caillin » Sun Mar 26, 2017 2:11

Both have the same springs to my knowledge, it's just that the gunfighter has an additional adjustable friction mechanism as well as the spring to calibrate a level of drag on top of whichever spring tension you choose to use.

It would be similar to the difference between pushing a stick through water at a set strength/rate, compared to pushing a stick through honey at that same rate. The input rate might not change, but the feel will be very different.

I have a Glad Pro, and I prefer the lightest easiest throw possible, so if I had a Gunfighter instead, I would either disable or set the friction to its lowest. However some people might very well prefer a more stronger and considered throw and crank up the friction coefficient.

If both sticks were the same price, it would be a no brainer to get the Gunfighter as it allows additional adjustability. However, for some people like me, that additional adjustment wouldn't be worth more $$$ spend, so it's really up to the individual.

Hope that helps.

kemikos

Postby kemikos » Sun Mar 26, 2017 22:30

You also need to consider that the Gladiators have many more controls (buttons, dials, switches) than the Gunfighter. The Gunfighter has no controls on the base, only on the stick. That makes it more suitable for simpit or mounted use, but if you're only going to use it on the tabletop you might want the extra controls.

Also, another advantage of the GF's adjustable clutch is that you can tune the return force. Consider a normal, inexpensive joystick. If you hold it fully to one side, then let the stick go, it will snap back to center, hard. It might even bounce back and forth across the center a few times. With the adjustable clutch, you can set it so that when you release the stick, it glides smoothly back to center. Or, as I understand it, you can even set it so that if you release the stick, it stays where you left it rather than returning.

So the Gunfighter has fewer controls but more advanced mechanicals. If I remember correctly, both the GF and the GladPro will be able to use the upcoming modular grips, so that's a wash. Basically if you want to mount your stick or have a need to tinker with the stick's mechanical behavior, the Gunfighter might be better for you. If you're only ever going to use your stick on a table top, you'll probably be fine with the GladPro.

My 2¢, anyway.

Sokol1

Postby Sokol1 » Mon Mar 27, 2017 18:12

The Gunfighter has no controls on the base, only on the stick. That makes it more suitable for simpit or mounted use, but if you're only going to use it on the tabletop you might want the extra controls.

For those that want use Gunfighter damper feature but want use then as desktop joystrick, will be available the ECP - a kind of console with extra axes and buttons with a place for fit Gunfighter base, resulting similar to 1/2 Steel Battalion controller. This device will a attend more the 'kosmosima" pilot with a "special feature" for left hand :wink: - seems will cost ~160$ (based on post in il2.ru).

Return to “General discussions”