Another question for Star Citizen pilots

Moderator: AdminGroup

Does a Left/Right hand grip for a dual stick setup need to be the same grip design for both?

Poll ended at Wed Mar 29, 2017 23:10

Yes, both left/right hand grips need to be of the same design, just mirrored for left/right hand use (explain why)
22%
No, one grip can be of a different design than the other, so long as I have a a grip for the left hand, and one the right hand (explain why)
73%
I don't care
5%

Total votes: 59

Paidin

Re: Another question for Star Citizen pilots

Postby Paidin » Sun Mar 05, 2017 16:33

This comment inspired me to create my forum account after a year and a half lurking just to agree!

I have a T16k, ftrp pedals, and the new Thrustmaster throttle. I ended up with this setup as it was the most Affordable way to start that I could find and I wasn't sure I would like flying with a HOTAS.

The Gunfighter I have on order is my first foray into high end hardware. I currently fly mostly space sims, but am trying to get into the historical stuff.

From my perspective I have to be frugal about my purchases and buying a second high end stick to experiment with 6DoF straifing when I have a serviceable T16k laying around doesn't make alot of sense. I'd rather spend the money on new grips for variety or upgrading my throttle / peddles when the time comes.

Just my two cents!

greatwood

Postby greatwood » Tue Mar 07, 2017 21:39

https://www.facebook.com/pg/thenoobifier1337/photos/?tab=album&album_id=1096226010472070

Thats my friends set-up. dual warthogs. He had to order 2, find a guy that would make a resin mirrored casting and then install all the electronics "guts" into the cast left hand stick. It took several months and a lot of recearch and planning to get a quality piece completed. It was still a resin casting and it still has inferior mechanics.

That being said, Its not necessary to have mirrored sticks. BUT I WANT IT. We're paying enough for the sticks. I want to have twist axis and identical mirrored sticks. It would personally bother me knowing I put out that kind of money on a peripheral for a game and it wasn't spot on. I may not need all the bells and whistles of the right hand stick on the left hand...but I want that option. I would like to have my desk / sim-pit / virtual reality spaceship to look amazing and every bit worth the money I put into it. The space sim sticks should have at least all the functions on the thrust master warthog. That being said, I expect VKB to elevate that a bit...because thats what they do.

greatwood

Postby greatwood » Tue Mar 07, 2017 21:45

Caillin wrote:A linear slider would definitely be an awesome addition for those who dual stick.

For me, I'll take my slider throttle on the ECP when it comes out, thank you. I prefer to have the throttle at Zero. I fly dual stick and I use forward and reverse strafe on the left-hand stick set to the y-axis. If I need throttle I either have it set to 0 or 100 and do that with a hotkey on the keyboard or mapped to a button on the stick for that matter, or voice attack.

zenmonkey

Postby zenmonkey » Wed Mar 08, 2017 1:03

I'm currently running dual T16K, I removed the throttle slider from the left stick and rewired it a thumbwheel pot that I've inserted between the stick and the thumbrest. The only thing that would make it better is if it was a notched thumbwheel so I had tactile indication of it's postion.

Personally I'd also like try some sort of analog rocker mounted on the 'inside' of the left stick that could be maniplutated with middle and ring fingers for vertical strafe control instead of a twist. The twist for vertical control, as I've mentioned before, takes a lot longer to train into into muscle memory.

TheSquigzor

Postby TheSquigzor » Wed Mar 08, 2017 1:34

Just adding my 2 cents. I don't need both of my sticks to be identical, or want them to be identical, because my requirements for each stick is different. I like having plenty of buttons and a twist axis on my right stick as I use it for pitch, yaw, roll and weapons control.

My left stick I use for lateral and vertical translation, as well as throttle control. So I don't need as many buttons, but could really use a throttle slider on the stick.

Zmann966

Postby Zmann966 » Wed Mar 08, 2017 1:39

zenmonkey wrote:Personally I'd also like try some sort of analog rocker mounted on the 'inside' of the left stick that could be maniplutated with middle and ring fingers for vertical strafe control instead of a twist. The twist for vertical control, as I've mentioned before, takes a lot longer to train into into muscle memory.

I agree whole-heartedly. Similar to how the T-Flight-X has a rocker on the middle/ring fingers of the throttle.
And I don't think I'd want one on the right-hand side.

Even if it's done differently, the left-stick would traditionally be used for translation. A Z-Rot/Twist axis doesn't make sense relative to the X/Y, but having an Z-axis that runs perpendicular to the XY would be very cool.
Last edited by Zmann966 on Wed Mar 08, 2017 4:42, edited 1 time in total.

rtmoose

Postby rtmoose » Wed Mar 08, 2017 2:26

Definitely different, as I stated in my response to the other question, I would trade my sister for a left handed stick that had a throttle grip, as I would use that stick for lateral and longitudinal thrusting, and you cannot match the amount of buttons, toggles, and rotaries that you can put on a throttle grip.

Swusn

Postby Swusn » Wed Mar 08, 2017 2:27

Hey, I just created an account to post in this discussion. I've been holding off on buying a stick because I'd want mirrored left and right grips. The buttons can be slightly different but the grips should be mirrored. I know I'm just one person but that is what I would be looking for in a pair of sticks.

Silas Farseer

Postby Silas Farseer » Wed Mar 08, 2017 2:50

First of all, thanks for asking.

For me, it doesn't matter if they are mirrored or not, as long as the utility of the buttons are logical and comfortable. I plan on playing SC in VR, so a POV hat is less important to me than someone without TIR/VR.

A slider for throttle "cruise control" would be appealing, as would an analog mini-stick.

It would be great if you could chord between the two devices to add extra button functionality.

nyvn

Postby nyvn » Wed Mar 08, 2017 10:44

They don't have to be the same.

I currently fly with a Gladiator main-hand and a T16000M off-hand and have no issues with they being different.

I prefer that the main-hand has fewer buttons since it's primary focus is on flight/aiming conversely I would prefer more buttons on my off-hand, a pinky switch for more functionality would be great, and a dual stage trigger would also be good but much less critical.

bns090020

Postby bns090020 » Wed Mar 08, 2017 14:37

Honestly the left hand grip can be different than the right hand. Im more inclined to use the modern grip in my right hand. What does need t happen however is that there need to be plenty of buttons on the left hand grip. Perhaps even a analog hat.

Gorrakz

Postby Gorrakz » Wed Mar 08, 2017 16:52

Rainer,
I would prefer that my left hand joystick be of a different design from my right stick to further differentiate the controls allocated to each. However, whatever design brings your product to market the quickest would trump any of my preferences. Waiting for my Gun FIghter Pro to arrive and it will be utilized with the only left hand joystick available which is obviously not a mirror image. That is until a better design is on the market.
Kind Regards,
:mrgreen:

Sokol1

Postby Sokol1 » Wed Mar 08, 2017 19:19

Well, there's a small (?) demand for joystick for left hand persons.

So mirror functional right hand joystick will attend this demand too.

Longtree

Postby Longtree » Thu Mar 09, 2017 1:37

Hi,

Why not provide a different styled stick to replace the throttle. After all, the joysticks have different functions.
However, the same design for both sticks gives you a set up perfectly adapted to both left and right handed players which is probably an important consideration.

Cheers !

Magniankh

Postby Magniankh » Thu Mar 09, 2017 2:03

prainx wrote:All I want for Christmas is....

Personally I would like to have a different layout. The shape of a throttle for comfort but with full x y z axis. Stiff center, with an analog hat on the index finger. Hat on thumb or slider and buttons on the remaining three fingers. And a base layout simalar to the gladiator.

Yeah, ever since I saw that CH Throttle chopped into a T16000m base I knew that was the endgame.

Return to “General discussions”