Another question for Star Citizen pilots

Moderator: AdminGroup

Does a Left/Right hand grip for a dual stick setup need to be the same grip design for both?

Poll ended at Wed Mar 29, 2017 23:10

Yes, both left/right hand grips need to be of the same design, just mirrored for left/right hand use (explain why)
22%
No, one grip can be of a different design than the other, so long as I have a a grip for the left hand, and one the right hand (explain why)
73%
I don't care
5%

Total votes: 59

Caillin

Re: Another question for Star Citizen pilots

Postby Caillin » Tue Jan 31, 2017 14:04

I know I already said it, but the more I think about it, the more I really agree that nice feeling linear slider like would be an awesome throttle analogue, as well as being, like you said, useful for other functions.

Goloith

Postby Goloith » Tue Jan 31, 2017 18:30

Sliders work horribly in Star Citizen since it only recognizes the end points, but nowhere in between.

Yes, eventually they may make this work the entire throw of the slider, but that's years away. Remember, people go dual stick for fine aiming in dogfighting, which a slider would be a terrible choice for.

That being said, an analog button like an Xbox controller on the thumb spot would be pretty amazing.

kemikos

Postby kemikos » Tue Jan 31, 2017 19:51

Goloith wrote:Sliders work horribly in Star Citizen since it only recognizes the end points, but nowhere in between.

When people mention "sliders", I picture a single-axis stick with no return spring (like a linear-motion potentiometer). SC should just see it as an extra analog axis, shouldn't it?

Caillin

Postby Caillin » Tue Jan 31, 2017 23:24

Yeah, how would a slider be any different to a single axis throttle?

prainx

Postby prainx » Wed Feb 01, 2017 3:47

sliders work awesome in SC for zoom! A must for hotas users to pick off the mice=)

zenmonkey

Postby zenmonkey » Wed Feb 01, 2017 8:49

I don't think they need to be mirror of each other, but they do need to be similar. Similar Height and deflection angles, but button layout can be different. Since button layouts won't control the same things (other than maybe triggers) differences may actually be better.

My current setup is 2x T16K with a heavily modified left stick. Left stick has extra buttons moved from the base to the stick as well as thumbwheel for throttle. RIght stick controls weapons and targeting, while the left is used for power and throttle controls. Though that could easily be revered so that weapon trigger pulls aren't affecting aim. Varying it up would also allow for other combinations of analog and digital inuputs.

The hright and deflection similarites woud be key for ergonomics though. With both sticks using a common base this likely to be the case.

zenmonkey

Postby zenmonkey » Wed Feb 01, 2017 9:09

pretagonist wrote:The slider has many other uses if you don't want it as a major control axis.

In Elite you can use it to set sensor range and I'm sure there are a lot of other practical uses. Perhaps you could bind it as a power distributer so you have a quick way to shift power to engines and so on.

For me a slider would be used as a "lazy throttle" when I'm just super-cruising to a location.

I currently have a thumbweel mounted to by left T16 that I use as a throttle. I cut a slot out the thubrest for it. If I do the same mod to my rght sitck I could se it used for radar range in ED.
I'm curious to see what commanders brings especially for VR players. More on-stick controls will be key there.

I could also see having multiple "throttle" sliders or thumbwheels becoming more useful as more gameplay comes online in SC. The design docs for other ship systems (mining/salvage) hint at the need to manipulate other gradient controls other than jsut throttle. There is also cooling rate which could benefit from gradient control.

ariley1984

Postby ariley1984 » Tue Feb 07, 2017 4:19

I dont think that the grips have to be mirrored but I would be more inclined to want sticks of a similar design but different layouts. I'd like there to be a analogue hat and some extra buttons but nothing over the top as I dont like the sticks to be too crowded. something more along the lines of the euro fighter or harrier stick.

vanov

Postby vanov » Tue Feb 07, 2017 13:08

I would need to see the "modern jet" grip before making a clear decision. That said, I'm here for quality. If the dual sticks fit what I need (see twist thread) and the button layouts compliment each other, then I'll buy them as soon as they are available. Would still be pretty cool if they matched though, even if only in a general sense.

Halleys_Trauma

Postby Halleys_Trauma » Tue Feb 21, 2017 3:41

For me the answer can be seen in every HOTAS on the market today

Right stick button count verses left hand control device button count. The current working industry model assigns the left hand a different set of functions and considerably more of them for a very good reason.

VKB could utilize this to overcome an issue with their current line: More buttons. While the left grip could mirror the right I feel the a new left head should include a mouse pointer, an additional 4 way hat, three way mode switch and additional buttons to bring a VKB system more in line with the demands of the space sim community. I am assuming that is the target market.

Comparing the quality of sticks in the VKB-Sim Gladiator Mk.II range a slightly more expensive left hand stick that addresses the short comings of the current model (buttons) could put VKB in the dual joy space sim pole position

Enkrow

Postby Enkrow » Mon Feb 27, 2017 11:35

As long as each grip does what it needs to, I don't think it matters if they're mirrored or not. I've been using a non-mirrored dual stick setup for a while now, and it works fine for me.

Vortax

Postby Vortax » Thu Mar 02, 2017 9:26

I don't think there is real reason for it to be identical to the right hand.

Both hands have different missions when using HOSAS. Right is mostly used for angular DOF and Fire control (primary and secondary fire, missile lock and launch, targeting system) while left hand usually has movement bindings (strafe, engine, quantum drive).

Since both sticks are used for different things, it makes sense that their design might be different.

Rangoon

Postby Rangoon » Thu Mar 02, 2017 20:59

I don't think there is a need for symmetry here. I think a basic sliding throttle with a very well designed thumb stick for thrusters is really the best solution. I think for space flight, a sliding throttle with a center detent (without any centering force) that can be engaged/disengaged with a switch or tensioning knob (like a friction knob but to increase the "grab" of the detent) would be excellent, since there is a forward/reverse aspect.

MajorStewie

Postby MajorStewie » Sat Mar 04, 2017 2:06

I sorta want this joystick for dual sticks but I don't know If I want to spend another $100 + the cost of the grip for two sticks. I may rather get a $60 thrustmaster.

Vortax

Postby Vortax » Sun Mar 05, 2017 12:51

That's an interesting point, I'd like to discuss a little more.

Right now, the TM16000M is almost universally the stick of choice for left hand, for three main reasons:
1) Is literally the only choice (some warthog mods aside) in the market
2) It works. It's a good stick that works OK as left controller
3) It's cheap. Retail price is around 60€, but can be found for as cheap as 45€

For me, the difficult VKB can find when trying to design a left hand stick is not only if they can make a better left hand stick (which I'm sure they can), but if they can make a better and affordable left hand stick (or an expensive but mind blowing one). We all want a superb right hand stick, as we need a lot of precision and most commands are executed right handed, but left hand HOSAS requires far less quality and precision, as translation movements in space can be rough, we only need little adjustments when landing or approaching a station, and even then, they don't need to be super accurate, just fine.

IMHO, a new left hand stick in the market must either be similar (just a bit better) to T16000M and affordable, or have something really innovating that can justify spend a lot of money in it. I wouldn't spend 200€ for a stick that does the same that a T16000M does but has just two more buttons (even if it has metal gimbals, as I stated before, we don't really need a terrific quality gimbal on a left hand), I'd rather get a T16000M for 60€. But I would spend 200€ for a quality left hand stick that has a mode switch and an adjustable thrust wheel accessible to my fingertips, for example.

Return to “General discussions”