Another question for Star Citizen pilots

Moderator: AdminGroup

Does a Left/Right hand grip for a dual stick setup need to be the same grip design for both?

Poll ended at Wed Mar 29, 2017 23:10

Yes, both left/right hand grips need to be of the same design, just mirrored for left/right hand use (explain why)
22%
No, one grip can be of a different design than the other, so long as I have a a grip for the left hand, and one the right hand (explain why)
73%
I don't care
5%

Total votes: 59

rrohde

Another question for Star Citizen pilots

Postby rrohde » Sat Jan 28, 2017 23:10

Hi Guys,

here we are trying to get a feel of what SC pilots might like in terms of grip design - left vs. right.

We're not looking for twist discussions in this thread (go here instead: viewtopic.php?f=28&t=2495), but merely for some insights, feedback and thoughts about whether the left hand grip needs to be an exact copy of the right hand grip, or if you would also be happy if there was a dedicated left hand grip that would look different from a dedicated right hand grip.

I have no details to share here as to how these grips might look like, but assume that both grips are top notch and provide:

- plenty of buttons
- axes for thrusters or slewing
- pinky switch
- etc.

An idea that was put forward by VKB HQ fueled this post - what if the upcoming 'Kosmosima' grip was a dedicated left hand grip, while the new modern jet grip would be a dedicated right hand grip, and you could combine them for your dual-stick setup...

What do you think - should both grips look the same, or would you be content with different grip designs for the left and the right hand, so long as both offer the buttons, switches and axes you need?

Thanks.

PS: As always, this also extends to Elite Dangerous pilots! :)
VKB North America
https://VKBcontrollers.com

KallenStadtfeld_SC

Re: Another question for Star Citizen pilots

Postby KallenStadtfeld_SC » Sat Jan 28, 2017 23:42

I'll start us off. Mirrored grips are preferable, and I'd say a few features are important such as hats/triggers/buttons. Having more options reachable on the stick is less time spent with hands off the stick. I could easily do a couple hats, a full motion thumbstick for gimbals, pinky trigger, regular trigger, and a couple buttons on each grip. So part of it depends on the control layout of the grips. I won't say it's a requirement, and I could function without a complete mirror, but it's definitely preferable to have both be fully featured like a space sim grip.

Edit: less rambling

kemikos

Postby kemikos » Sun Jan 29, 2017 1:08

If we're assuming that both grips will have the same variety of controls, just in different layouts, and that the twist module can be added to either grip independently, then I could certainly live with the space grip being left-only and the military grip right-only, and that's the way I voted.

Ideally I'd like to see two sets of mirrored grips, only because not everyone will want the same controls in the same places; I might want the space layout for my right hand, and the military layout for the right, while someone else might want the opposite. A third hypothetical person might want mirrored space grips in both hands. But as long as all the controls are available on both hands, I don't see it as a major problem.

Certainly having two inventory items (as opposed to four) would make production and logistics easier, which would hopefully translate to us getting them sooner, which is never a bad thing...

Caillin

Postby Caillin » Sun Jan 29, 2017 1:43

I also have no overwhelming need for both sticks to be a mirrored layout. Glad Pro in right and T16k in left feels perfectly natural, and they are very different feeling sticks.

However, if the space stick is more ergonomic than the modern grip (so it's more like a Logitech 3D pro than a F16/SU style grip with unreachable top hats/buttons) then I'd probably prefer one of those for the right hand stick.

prainx

Postby prainx » Sun Jan 29, 2017 3:58

All I want for Christmas is....

Personally I would like to have a different layout. The shape of a throttle for comfort but with full x y z axis. Stiff center, with an analog hat on the index finger. Hat on thumb or slider and buttons on the remaining three fingers. And a base layout simalar to the gladiator.

elmar01

Postby elmar01 » Sun Jan 29, 2017 11:28

I would have thought that its simpler/cheaper to manufacture if they are exactly mirrored. Remember a left-handed grip isn't ONLY for Star Citizen, there are many people that would like a proper left handed grip for other games/sim.

pretagonist

Postby pretagonist » Sun Jan 29, 2017 14:04

I have no issue with different sticks in different hands. It could even be an advantage to have different types of buttons and axis. I'd like perhaps some dials, linear sliders and mode select buttons on the left and just hats and buttons on the right.

I like to focus the right stick on targeting and weapons, and focus the left on systems, power distribution and so on.

Caillin

Postby Caillin » Sun Jan 29, 2017 14:10

A linear slider would definitely be an awesome addition for those who dual stick.

rrohde

Postby rrohde » Sun Jan 29, 2017 23:23

elmar01 wrote:I would have thought that its simpler/cheaper to manufacture if they are exactly mirrored. Remember a left-handed grip isn't ONLY for Star Citizen, there are many people that would like a proper left handed grip for other games/sim.

The cheaper idea doesn't seem to work here, though, as an exact mirror still requires extensive (and expensive tooling)...
VKB North America

KallenStadtfeld_SC

Postby KallenStadtfeld_SC » Mon Jan 30, 2017 6:23

rrohde wrote:
The cheaper idea doesn't seem to work here, though, as an exact mirror still requires extensive (and expensive tooling)...

From this and the original post, it sounds like VKB are trying to decide if it's possible to save money on tooling by not making mirrored grips and doing one of each. Honestly, it will depend on the controls available on each. You may have some unhappy people if they can't have two space sim grips with plenty of controls for each hand.

Can you give any insight into the available buttons and controls on each grip?

rrohde

Postby rrohde » Mon Jan 30, 2017 6:42

KallenStadtfeld_SC wrote:Can you give any insight into the available buttons and controls on each grip?

Nothing official yet. Everything is still in the design phase - even though analog axes on both the Kosmosima grip and modern jet grip have been all but confirmed by VKB HQ. :)
VKB North America

Vr4nagel

Postby Vr4nagel » Mon Jan 30, 2017 7:46

I also don't see a need for mirrored sticks. My opinion comes from the fact that my right hand stick will be a modern design since I will be using it for both dcs and sc.

Fiftysixk

Postby Fiftysixk » Mon Jan 30, 2017 18:32

I would say mirrored sticks would be preferred, but saying that I would almost want the left hand stick/grip to have a thumb analog for vertical strafe, it would be much more accurate than having a digital on/off hat like most sticks have. Its one of the reasons I have used the CH pro throttle as It has an analog thumb stick on the side of the throttle for strafe left/right up/down.

Macross

Postby Macross » Tue Jan 31, 2017 8:33

Choosed i dont care, good right stick is fine for me, for left, buttons are more of "support" so couple hats and buttons are fine.
For left hand users, they would prefer better left ofcourse.
For analog slider that some people wants, that really ruins the reason of hotas/hosas, we have 6axes allready, 2/3 on stick, throttle and pedals. Why try invent wheel again when it works?

pretagonist

Postby pretagonist » Tue Jan 31, 2017 12:17

The slider has many other uses if you don't want it as a major control axis.

In Elite you can use it to set sensor range and I'm sure there are a lot of other practical uses. Perhaps you could bind it as a power distributer so you have a quick way to shift power to engines and so on.

For me a slider would be used as a "lazy throttle" when I'm just super-cruising to a location.

Return to “General discussions”