install Mk II (2) Gimbal in Gladiator Pro?

Moderator: AdminGroup

TripRodriguez

install Mk II (2) Gimbal in Gladiator Pro?

Postby TripRodriguez » Fri Jul 15, 2016 12:21

Hey guys, I know this is going to sound crazy but could a Mk. 2 VKB gimbal be swapped into a Gladiator Pro easily?

Because I know someone will ask, I will explain why I would ever want to do such a thing. I fly dual joystick in space sims (Star Citizen and Elite Dangerous) and would never consider flying any differently. My current left stick is a Thrustmaster Cougar which works great for me but I know it will eventually break and the potentiometers have already started giving me trouble. I'm looking to replace that Cougar gimbal with a high quality metal unit with excellent x/y axis separation and stiff springs. Don't worry about the grip, I've got that covered. I modded the Cougar throttle grip for use on the stick base. getting the Warthog adapter installed on my custom throttle stick grip will not be bolt on, but shouldn't be too big a problem.

Bourrinopathe

Re: install Mk II (2) Gimbal in Gladiator Pro?

Postby Bourrinopathe » Mon Jul 18, 2016 7:59

Hi,
I'm not sure about the technical details but I assume it should be possible. The gimbals look the same, except for that red disc between the upper part and the gimbal. But it looks like the Gladiator Pro has the same 4 attach points gimbal common to the Black Mamba MkIII and MkII gimbal.

But why do you want to use a MkII gimbal? The MkIII also has a set of hard center cams with a feeling close to the pincer-type gimbal (with the noticeable axis separation) (I'm currently using a hard-center on my roll axis mixed with a soft center for the pitch axis on my Black Mamba MkIII).

Now, you'll have to share some pictures of that modded Cougar throttle-stick of yours ;) That's interesting!
/// ВКБ Black Mamba MkIII / ВКБ T-Rudder MkII / ВКБ Gladiator / X-55 Rhino throttle / OpenTrack /// UTC +4 ///

TripRodriguez

Re: install Mk II (2) Gimbal in Gladiator Pro?

Postby TripRodriguez » Wed Jul 20, 2016 11:31

I'll get a pic of the Throttle Stick when I get a chance. =)

As for the Mk. II vs Mk. III gimbal thanks for all the great info! I was hoping the hard center cams might be appropriate but wanted to know if the Mk. II gimbal was an option if the cam gimbal doesn't satisfy my need for serious axis separation.

Thanks again!

Trip

Return to “General discussions”