[profile] Black Mamba + Su-27 for DCS

Moderator: AdminGroup

Bourrinopathe

[profile] Black Mamba + Su-27 for DCS

Postby Bourrinopathe » Sat Jun 11, 2016 16:35

So I was reviewing my controls for the Su-27 in DCS, I opened the VKB Device Config and wonders happened. :mrgreen:

I was wondering if I could create a new virtual button using an existing button as a modifier, only for one specific button and without loosing that modifier as a simple button.
It's possible, and it's called SubSHIFT.

First, here's how my controls look like:

I use that reference picture on a tablet, that's why it's dark (MFD-style).

I tried to mimic the real Su-27 controls while adding some specific controls from DCS.
Three buttons have alternate controls: press a button for more than 500 milliseconds and it sends another button input to the sim.
I used these "long press" buttons for specific functions that do not require a immediate reaction (trim reset, audio warning reset (master alarm) and the specific autopilot override function Eagle Dynamics included (like the real Su-27 control (hold and release))).
The "short press" buttons are instant-actions: reset autopilot, autopilot and leveled flight.
I won't detail how it's done here, but it uses the TEMPO 2 function (NJoy32).

What's great is that the config software allowed me to use a modifier button to change one of my buttons when it's held down and it still acts like a normal button otherwise.
That modifier is the pinky lever (button #3 by default on the Black Mamba).
So when I hold the pinky lever (wheel brakes in DCS), it also sends a modifier function defined with the button #1 (retractable trigger - weapon fire in DCS). The button #1 then sends a virtual button signal: it's the button #18.
I wanted to test the "Launch Permission Override" function (I already used that with the Su-27 to force a R-73 launch against an aircraft on the taxiway or some other aggressive use).
Holding the wheel brakes in flight with the Su-27 also has a hidden function: it "relaxes" the СДУ (FBW) to allow the control surfaces to move more freely. It's not the "Cobra" button (which desactivates the СДУ control).
So using the (pinky) modifier to override the launch permission also slightly overrides the flight controls limiter (СДУ). Aggressive approach.

Here's how it's done:
The Global tab defines the total number of buttons for the Black Mamba (18 buttons - 2 additional buttons for two of the "long press" functions and 1 for the "Launch Permission Override"):

The logical layer where you define what physical buttons signals are sent to the sim:
(I've used the reference/input #33 that sends the button #18 signal)
(the orange buttons are used for two of the "long press" function - the third "long press" function uses the button #1 because DCS uses the weapon release button to control the autopilot override function in the sim)

The physical layer where you define what happens when you press a physical button:

That's the pinky lever (property window / physical layer):
And it's defined as a SubSHIFT function (something like a local modifier).
Ticking the "Track as button" box tells the button to send a normal button press signal while it also acts as a modifier.
It's the SubSHIFT number 1. You can define several SubSHIFT buttons.

And that's my trigger (property window / physical layer):
By default it's the button #1, defined by the input #9.
I changed it to that ButtonS function and it now listens to the SubSHIFT commands.
Specifically to the SubSHIFT #1 configured on the pinky trigger.
So, when the SubSHIFT #1 is activated (holding the pinky lever), the button #1 sends a new (modified) button signal defined by #2 (second function) in the window (it's the input #33) and it then sends the button 18 signal. The input #33 is defined in the logical layer.

I press the button #1 (trigger) = weapon fire
I squeeze the pinky lever = wheel brakes
I hold the pinky lever and press the trigger = launch override

I hold the pinky lever and press any other button = no modification on those buttons.

The pinky lever only modifies the trigger. As defined.
Using the SubSHIFT (modifier) never interferes with the other controls. And that's great.

Here's the test window/log:
(pinky lever held + trigger pressed)

-------

I'm not sure I used the best function for what I was trying to achieve but it works beautifully.
Even if the VKB Device Config software can be challenging, there's a logic behind the rough UI and it's efficient. No doubt.
So thanks VKB for such great devices and some powerful programming capabilities! <3

Finally: >>> here's my DCS Su-27 profile (Black Mamba) <<< using the VKB Device Config software v0.77.23 and the Black Mamba (not the Fat Black Mamba) firmware v1.790.
Feel free to try it (at your own risk) - but don't forget to backup your active profile first ;)
/// ВКБ Black Mamba MkIII / ВКБ T-Rudder MkII / ВКБ Gladiator / X-55 Rhino throttle / OpenTrack /// UTC +4 ///

rrohde

Re: [profile] Black Mamba + Su-27 for DCS

Postby rrohde » Sat Jun 11, 2016 20:16

Nice! The software seems very powerful and allows you a lot of neat little tricks with the limited amount of buttons the Mamba grip offers! Good stuff - and thanks for sharing. :D
VKB North America
https://VKBcontrollers.com

Return to “General discussions”