VKB Throttle

Moderator: AdminGroup

TraptPatriot

VKB Throttle

Postby TraptPatriot » Wed May 25, 2016 3:46

Hello, I am looking forward to the Gunfighter Mk1, but I am wondering if there are any plans for a throttle? If so, are there plans to implement a thumb stick similar to other throttles? I like to play space sims, and VKB looks very good, so why not get the best of both worlds? Thanks in advance for any info!

DawnWing

Re: VKB Throttle

Postby DawnWing » Sat May 28, 2016 19:24

plz released a high-end jet fighter throttle at first, in order to adapt with your awesome joystick,
now we have to buy another brand's throttle, not cool.

DHRF

Postby DHRF » Sun May 29, 2016 6:07

Cyph3r

Postby Cyph3r » Tue May 31, 2016 14:19

Yeah I really hope the throttle is a modern jet variant - it's so much more flexible that a Space specific or WW2 specific throttle.
Intel i7 4710HQ | 16GB DDR3 | nVidia GTX970M | 1TB Samsung 850 Evo
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
• VKB Vintage Black Mamba Mk.III
• Thrustmaster Warthog
• Saitek Combat Rudder Pedals

rrohde

Postby rrohde » Tue May 31, 2016 18:57

Cyph3r wrote:Yeah I really hope the throttle is a modern jet variant - it's so much more flexible that a Space specific or WW2 specific throttle.

I agree. Space-stuff should come from Saitek - that's their "thing". To me, VKB should look into replicas of existing military-style hardware for their modern jet throttle/HOTAS/future grips.
VKB North America
https://VKBcontrollers.com

Cyph3r

Postby Cyph3r » Tue May 31, 2016 19:51

rrohde wrote:
Cyph3r wrote:Yeah I really hope the throttle is a modern jet variant - it's so much more flexible that a Space specific or WW2 specific throttle.

I agree. Space-stuff should come from Saitek - that's their "thing". To me, VKB should look into replicas of existing military-style hardware for their modern jet throttle/HOTAS/future grips.

I'm not averse to VKB making space-sim focused equipment. Saiteks controllers are awful... If you want decent quality space centric equipment, you're SOL. VKB should definitely fill that void, but not as their first offering.
Intel i7 4710HQ | 16GB DDR3 | nVidia GTX970M | 1TB Samsung 850 Evo
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
• VKB Vintage Black Mamba Mk.III
• Thrustmaster Warthog
• Saitek Combat Rudder Pedals

DHRF

Postby DHRF » Wed Jun 01, 2016 3:52

that's why modular is key.......

they can start making space game oriented sticks that will use today gladiator/mamba base and later have a special dedicated base.

you could get the space gaming community onboard whit a decent stick and a later space oriented base.

for the throttle the same could be used for ww2/jets/space gaming, different handles sharing the same base.

plus the feedback will help in the development of the other parts for that specific gaming requirements.

and since the handles and sticks will remain in the final products is a great way to use R/D.

not to mention a bracket to have a tablet or phone attached to the controller and proper software to use the device for multiple functions or even voice control activation functions.
that alone will provide a lot of functionality from device calibration using voice control while not leaving the game to add on the flight the controls or change functionality.

Radsoc

Postby Radsoc » Wed Jun 01, 2016 11:51

Currently I pair the Black Mamba MkIII with a CH Pro Throttle (that I bought 2nd hand on ebay, as it was hard to get by).

The CH Pro throttle as you may know is not particularly good-looking, but it's robust and functional. Choice of materials is excellent, it's some kind of composite plastic, almost like glass fiber, or something that you would find as panels in cars. Or maybe on them, if it's a Trabant :P . It's high quality, easily accessible ergonomic buttons and most importantly - a small analog joystick. It carries an almost "Russian" design in terms of robustness and functionality. You could think of it as a Niva.

However, the drawbacks are that the sensor is limited in resolution, that the movement is completely flat (not rounded which would allow the user to feel the position without looking at it or checking in-game). The joystick could be made better in terms of sensitivity and resolution. And having two engine controls and some additional analog wheels would be super.

A throttle retaining the base characteristics of the CH Pro while expanding on it, would be a completely valid upgrade. Design is largely unimportant as long as it's "ok" (as in the case of CH Pro), no overdoing like Saitek, ergonomy, functionality, intuitivity and all-in one modularity (space, air, boat, whatever sim). I use my joystick for 2D radiator controls (oil and normal, separately or both at the same time depending on how I pull) in air sims. Not just lateral thrust in space.

Warpig

Postby Warpig » Thu Jun 02, 2016 20:33

I personally think the X55 design is a good place to model your throttle after. It's very versatile with a lot of available control slots. The two way switches work very well with control binds. The multiple hats that are reachable with the thumb is also nice, along with the buttons behind the throttle that are reachable with your fingers.

DHRF

Postby DHRF » Thu Sep 08, 2016 1:51

like this one
post-29966-0-76844800-1463043991.jpg

yojimbosc

Postby yojimbosc » Thu Sep 08, 2016 5:54

make this and you can have all my money...

Bourrinopathe

Postby Bourrinopathe » Thu Sep 08, 2016 6:31

Interesting design that ticks several important boxes.

Trimmers, secondary axes (WW2-friendly/flaps/gear commands), the absolutely crucial analog mini-stick, some buttons and switches.
Imho, it lacks a few things for an advanced and multipurpose throttle (space-sim/modern aircraft/WW2 planes): I'd like more rotaries on the base, not only lever axes, the throttle handle could use a more anatomical shape and more buttons/rocker under the fingers (in the front of the handles) - I'm also not sure about these two levers on the side, they don't look comfortable. More hat controls on the side could be great. Also, a 2-position (or slider) airbrake control on the side of the handle would be essential. The throttle movement range should be good enough to allow accurate and fine control for the helos.

And ideally: no potentiometers at all ^_^ (I hate those things - it's like a DVD/CD-ROM drive in a modern computer - that's a burden from the past).

Is that VKB's design?
/// ВКБ Black Mamba MkIII / ВКБ T-Rudder MkII / ВКБ Gladiator / X-55 Rhino throttle / OpenTrack /// UTC +4 ///

UIV
Мастер

Postby UIV » Thu Sep 08, 2016 8:29

Not. It's not VKB design.

Bourrinopathe

Postby Bourrinopathe » Thu Sep 08, 2016 9:53

Ah great. Thanks for the confirmation. I thought you would do better than that :mrgreen:
/// ВКБ Black Mamba MkIII / ВКБ T-Rudder MkII / ВКБ Gladiator / X-55 Rhino throttle / OpenTrack /// UTC +4 ///

UIV
Мастер

Postby UIV » Thu Sep 08, 2016 10:12

VKB throttle is much better :D

Return to “General discussions”