VKB Black Mamba + Extension and Obutto Ozone?

Moderator: AdminGroup

rrohde

Re: VKB Black Mamba + Extension and Obutto Ozone?

Postby rrohde » Fri Jul 08, 2016 1:30

And here's another thing:

I wanted to have the ability to have a side-stick as well. Considering that I had that craigslist welder customize a second Obutto flightstick mount for me, I put it to good use today and added it to my setup.

I feel that a side-stick, with shorter throw, is more fun for fully fly-by-wire planes like the Mirage 2000 (and hopefully future DCS modules as well).

I also needed to come up with a better solution of mounting the Mamba itself to either the center or the side flightstick mounts than using screws (which would be a pain to do on the fly). So, after some consideration I had an epiphany and raided my wife's desk to find some binder clips. These little guys are strong when used in groups, and I was able to "clip" the Mamba's base to the Obutto's flightstick mount as desired. :thumbup:.

This makes swapping the Mamba around a breeze, and adding/removing the extension is simple enough with an allen key; however, a quick-release solution designed by VKB would be better...

Also, never ceases to amaze me how awesome it was by VKB to allow the grip to be rotated as desired - I can have a perfectly straight grip for my side-stick setup, and a leftward rotated grip for my center-mount setup. My wrist is grateful for that. ;)

See pics:
Attachments
2016-07-07 16.44.19.jpg
2016-07-07 16.45.11.jpg
2016-07-07 16.46.05.jpg
VKB North America
https://VKBcontrollers.com

kornskydiver

Postby kornskydiver » Fri Jul 08, 2016 2:38

rrohde wrote:Thanks for the feedback, Satyrn!

Here's what I think I need to make it work:

Basically, cut the default Obutto center mount from the flight control mount pack so that only an inch or so remains from the vertical tube, and then weld a flat metal piece on top of it, onto which the Mamba + extension can be mounted... done. This would allow me to use the existing Obutto screws and mounting, location, plus it would be the right height for the extended Mamba!

Here's how I envision that piece - needless to say, someone has to make it for me. Also, it seems as if that metal plate would have to be scooted back some, or maybe be a little longer than pictured, so that the Mamba would come straight up from where the seat and the monitor stand tubes meet, considering the just over 40cm of travel that the Mamba with extension does back/forth/left/right.

image.jpeg

Here is how I modded to obutto center piece so that my warthog extension sits lower. I pretty much chopped off most of the center post and drilled a 5/16" hole through the top and mounted my wheelstandpro adapter
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

rrohde

Postby rrohde » Fri Jul 08, 2016 19:56

That's a pretty awesome solution there! Congrats! :)
VKB North America
https://VKBcontrollers.com

Return to “General discussions”