VKB Black Mamba + Extension and Obutto Ozone?

Moderator: AdminGroup

rrohde

VKB Black Mamba + Extension and Obutto Ozone?

Postby rrohde » Tue Apr 12, 2016 22:09

Has anyone who owns a Obutto Ozone center-mounted a VKB Black Mamba + extension?
I am getting my Ozone tomorrow, and so far I haven't found any references regarding this scenario. Any help would be appreciated...
VKB North America
https://VKBcontrollers.com

Daisy

Re: VKB Black Mamba + Extension and Obutto Ozone?

Postby Daisy » Wed Apr 13, 2016 7:51

One of our clients post photo, it seems that Black can't be installed on the Butto Ozone, but our future Gunfighter can be installed on Obutto Ozone.
mamba with obutto.jpg

rrohde

Postby rrohde » Wed Apr 13, 2016 15:39

Good to know about the Gunfighter, Daisy! Thanks.
VKB North America

Azurith

Postby Azurith » Wed Apr 13, 2016 17:06

I think Id just drill it, or use a wooden buffer :D

Cyph3r

Postby Cyph3r » Wed Apr 13, 2016 17:22

Really wouldn't be too difficult to make an adapter plate to fit!
Intel i7 4710HQ | 16GB DDR3 | nVidia GTX970M | 1TB Samsung 850 Evo
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
• VKB Vintage Black Mamba Mk.III
• Thrustmaster Warthog
• Saitek Combat Rudder Pedals

rrohde

Postby rrohde » Wed Apr 13, 2016 17:43

You mustn't forget, guys, that I am trying to add the Mamba + extension to the Obutto Ozone; that image above shows the Obutto TM Warthog adapter, for a Warthog without an extension. If I used that piece of metal, my Mamba + extension would be hard to reach when flying, because it would be to tall.

So, that said, my problem is not using an existing metal plate and drill new holes into it; my problem is attaching the Mamba + extension somewhere to the bottom of the Obutto frame, closer to the floor I assume. For that, a custom solution is needed. So far, I haven't found any reference in the various forums that tackled this issue... hence my question. :)
VKB North America

Azurith

Postby Azurith » Wed Apr 13, 2016 18:04

Cool, good luck getting it together (:
post pics when your done or need Ideas.

rrohde

Postby rrohde » Fri Apr 15, 2016 3:21

Here are some pics of my current Obutto Ozone setup; I haven't figured out a way how to use the Mamba with extension yet, even though there are some pre-drilled holes that could be used for a custom connector. Maybe some metal shop can build one for me... :)

Anyway - here's my Obutto Ozone, with my CH Pro Throttle, VKB T-Rudders MkIII (fits perfectly into the Obutto), and the VKB Mamba MkIII center mounted (for this to work, I had to remove the Mamba's base-plate and use the more narrow plate that came with the extension).

Again, the ultimate goal is to have the Mamba center-mounted with the extension in place... hopefully I can custom-build something for that - or maybe someone in the community has an idea?
Attachments
2016-04-14 16.04.14.jpg
2016-04-14 16.04.34.jpg
2016-04-14 16.04.51.jpg
VKB North America

Satyrn

Postby Satyrn » Sat Apr 16, 2016 3:50

I've seen your post and been mulling it over every time I visit this forum. I own both a Revolution that I personally use and an Ozone my wife uses.

One idea I have had would be to either mount a custom bracket to where the front and rear frames of the ozone join. You still might have to cut metal to get the right height. I am not sure what the length of the extension is, and where it would place the stick relative to your seating position.

Alternately use a very heavy base plate. I have an old car rotor that might do the job :D Or fab a platform out of wood and attach it to the frame and also the stick.

You have options, but you are going to have to install that extension and measure to see what you have to work with. Good luck!

rrohde

Postby rrohde » Mon Apr 18, 2016 4:55

Thanks for the feedback, Satyrn!

Here's what I think I need to make it work:

Basically, cut the default Obutto center mount from the flight control mount pack so that only an inch or so remains from the vertical tube, and then weld a flat metal piece on top of it, onto which the Mamba + extension can be mounted... done. This would allow me to use the existing Obutto screws and mounting, location, plus it would be the right height for the extended Mamba!

Here's how I envision that piece - needless to say, someone has to make it for me. Also, it seems as if that metal plate would have to be scooted back some, or maybe be a little longer than pictured, so that the Mamba would come straight up from where the seat and the monitor stand tubes meet, considering the just over 40cm of travel that the Mamba with extension does back/forth/left/right.

2016-04-14 16.04.34.jpg
VKB North America

Satyrn

Postby Satyrn » Mon Apr 18, 2016 6:17

rrohde wrote:Thanks for the feedback, Satyrn!

Here's what I think I need to make it work:

Sure thing man.

That should work, and it looks like you could cannibalize the parts from the existing flight controller mount to create the new mount. Honestly it shouldn't cost too much going that route either. Worse comes to worse, if you are willing to do the cutting and prep you just need to find a welder.

But MEASURE MEASURE MEASURE! :D

rrohde

Postby rrohde » Mon Apr 18, 2016 19:31

Satyrn wrote:That should work, and it looks like you could cannibalize the parts from the existing flight controller mount to create the new mount. Honestly it shouldn't cost too much going that route either. Worse comes to worse, if you are willing to do the cutting and prep you just need to find a welder.

But MEASURE MEASURE MEASURE! :D

I contacted a welder off of Craigslist; I'll let you know how it goes.

And -indeed- measuring everything is key. I hope the welder comes by and does this for me. ;)
VKB North America

rrohde

Postby rrohde » Mon May 02, 2016 19:33

Thanks Jason!

I have since updated it a tad, by replacing the CH Pro Throttle with a Thrustmaster Warthog Throttle (see pic); waiting impatiently for the opportunity to order a TM Warthog VKB Adapter. ;)

2016-04-21 21.46.26.jpg

PS: Yes, I cleaned up my cable-chaos and ran the cables nicely since I took that pic... :)
VKB North America

rrohde

Postby rrohde » Tue May 31, 2016 18:59

Quick update: I hired a welder in order to customize the Obutto Ozone center-stick flight control mounts to accommodate my Mamba with its extension. He shortened the center-stick mounting tube by 3.5 inches, and brought it in more by removing the horizontal tube. He also cut the Ozone's flight stick mount steel plate to match the Mamba's base plate in size; he also drilled screw holes using the Mamba's base-plate as template, so I can mount the Mamba using screws without having to use double-sided tape.

The outcome works really well for me, but I might have to ask him to maybe cut another inch off so that the Mamba sits a bit lower. But we'll see....

Needless to say, having the Mamba with extension is an absolute dream to fly DCS aircraft with, especially helicopters. However, the downside is that I no longer can reach the additional buttons, dials, and switches that the Mamba base provided... oh well. :) I hope that this can be remedied once I'll be able to buy the TM Warthog grip adapter for the Mamba base, since the TM grip has more buttons than the Mamba itself...

Here are some photos that show the custom job:
Attachments
2016-05-30 14.00.25.jpg
2016-05-29 19.18.34.jpg
2016-05-29 19.07.54.jpg
VKB North America

rrohde

Postby rrohde » Fri Jul 08, 2016 1:29

Did some more things to my Mamba configuration:

First, I toyed with adding a second set of springs (they fit without a problem, btw) to the gimbal, and tested it.
I noticed that it didn't improve what I wanted - a little more solid and stiff center when using the extension. I also read that the force of a second set of springs could harm the gimbal - and I didn't want to take a chance.

Instead, I used rubber bands instead - and it actually dampens the center a tiny bit.... not enough, but it's noticeable. Also, the spring noise is gone since the rubber bands seem to sit tightly across the springs. :thumbup:

See pics:
Attachments
2016-07-05 15.38.39.jpg
2016-07-05 15.57.56.jpg
2016-07-05 15.58.18.jpg
VKB North America

Return to “General discussions”