Impeccable timing...

Moderator: AdminGroup

Troll

Impeccable timing...

Postby Troll » Mon Apr 11, 2016 19:09

With impeccable timing, my VKB Mk.III gimbal arrived on my doorstep...
Impeccable, because tomorrow morning I leave for two days of biannual simulator training and checking. I just won't have time to play with my new gimbal until the weekend, when my mother in law arrives and occupies the guest room where I also keep my SimPC..! :evil:

Oh well... Good things come to he who waits. :roll:

The gimbal looks absolutely fantastic! A great piece of engineering!

One thing I noticed immediately though. Have a look at this pic:

See those tiny grooves running across the cam surface? They are grooves from the cutting of the steel. You can actually feel those grooves as the bearing rolls over the surface..! It feels as a slight rumble as you move the stick part of the gimbal.
That's how precise this gimbal is! :shock:

I experienced this when I bought a set of rudderpedals that also have a steel cam and roller bearing. A couple of minutes with a dremel and a sanding drum took care of that, and I imagine this cam will benefit from the same treatment. Although I doubt I will feel these grooves through the handle and extension, I will polish the cam before I use it.

The increase in resistance towards the end of travel will be a very welcome feedback factor when flying.

I can tell that much thought and effort have been invested into this cam.
Well done, VKB! :mrgreen:

Cyph3r

Re: Impeccable timing...

Postby Cyph3r » Mon Apr 11, 2016 19:40

It's good to hear that the stick is that connected to the gimbal!

I wonder if using something like 1000/1200/1500 grit sandpaper could improve the smoothness on the cams?
Intel i7 4710HQ | 16GB DDR3 | nVidia GTX970M | 1TB Samsung 850 Evo
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
• VKB Vintage Black Mamba Mk.III
• Thrustmaster Warthog
• Saitek Combat Rudder Pedals

rrohde

Postby rrohde » Mon Apr 11, 2016 19:53

Troll wrote:Although I doubt I will feel these grooves through the handle and extension, I will polish the cam before I use it.

Yeah, you'll feel some of it ever so slightly through the handle, however, you won't feel it when the extension is used; at least that's how I experience it with my Mamba MkIII.

PS: I noticed the same issue with my T-Rudder MkIII pedals, where it is far worse since some of the silver-colored coating came off, generating an uneven area for the roller to roll along.
VKB North America
https://VKBcontrollers.com

Azurith

Postby Azurith » Mon Apr 11, 2016 22:04

My 10 and 30 cams are silky smooth. The warthog cam I received is like that x2 though, at some point ill need to find a way to smooth it out.

Troll

Postby Troll » Mon Apr 11, 2016 22:55

Is there a special cam for the warthog handle..? I only have the 10 and 30 cams...

Cyph3r

Postby Cyph3r » Mon Apr 11, 2016 23:00

Troll wrote:Is there a special cam for the warthog handle..? I only have the 10 and 30 cams...

Yes there is :) has a "W" on it. You only get it if you've bought the Warthog adapter
Intel i7 4710HQ | 16GB DDR3 | nVidia GTX970M | 1TB Samsung 850 Evo
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
• VKB Vintage Black Mamba Mk.III
• Thrustmaster Warthog
• Saitek Combat Rudder Pedals

Troll

Postby Troll » Tue Apr 12, 2016 6:21

Hmmm... I already had the WH adapter, so I didn't buy it again.

What's special about it?

Bourrinopathe

Postby Bourrinopathe » Tue Apr 12, 2016 9:07

The cam's shape has been developed to compensate the Warthog grip weight (slightly pulling the stick to the front).
It should be more balanced.

If you're interested, I'd suggest you ask VKB if you can order that specific cam alone.
/// ВКБ Black Mamba MkIII / ВКБ T-Rudder MkII / ВКБ Gladiator / X-55 Rhino throttle / OpenTrack /// UTC +4 ///

Troll

Postby Troll » Tue Apr 12, 2016 10:19

I ordered the gimbal through FSC.com, so I have sent them an email.

Daisy

Postby Daisy » Tue Apr 12, 2016 13:29

Troll wrote:With impeccable timing, my VKB Mk.III gimbal arrived on my doorstep...
Impeccable, because tomorrow morning I leave for two days of biannual simulator training and checking. I just won't have time to play with my new gimbal until the weekend, when my mother in law arrives and occupies the guest room where I also keep my SimPC..! :evil:

Oh well... Good things come to he who waits. :roll:

The gimbal looks absolutely fantastic! A great piece of engineering!

One thing I noticed immediately though. Have a look at this pic:

See those tiny grooves running across the cam surface? They are grooves from the cutting of the steel. You can actually feel those grooves as the bearing rolls over the surface..! It feels as a slight rumble as you move the stick part of the gimbal.
That's how precise this gimbal is! :shock:

I experienced this when I bought a set of rudderpedals that also have a steel cam and roller bearing. A couple of minutes with a dremel and a sanding drum took care of that, and I imagine this cam will benefit from the same treatment. Although I doubt I will feel these grooves through the handle and extension, I will polish the cam before I use it.

The increase in resistance towards the end of travel will be a very welcome feedback factor when flying.

I can tell that much thought and effort have been invested into this cam.
Well done, VKB! :mrgreen:

Thanks for your comment. About this cam, process for making it is really not easy. first, we use laser cutting for this shape, after this, use CNC processing for making it more accurately. But this is not enough, after CNC, we make polishing again. Only after this, we make chrome covering for it.
Please don't worry about this groove, because it's new part, after few time of usage, ballbearing movement can polish this surface again, and it will become as smoothly as it can.

Troll

Postby Troll » Tue Apr 12, 2016 18:47

I'm not worried, Daisy! :)
I'm just impressed that the mechanism is so tight that those small grooves can be felt.

Azurith

Postby Azurith » Tue Apr 12, 2016 23:31

Thanks for the close up pic Troll, It has allowed me to confirm I put my F/B cam back on correctly ><

Anyone try the 30 Cams with the Warthog grip? I didn't try them yet :D

Return to “General discussions”