New gimbal movement?

Moderator: AdminGroup

rrohde

New gimbal movement?

Postby rrohde » Sun Dec 20, 2015 6:24

Question for those in the know:

How does the new gimbal-based sticks (e.g., Mamba MkIII, Gunfighter, etc) move in terms of smooth, circular movement? Is it perfectly smooth and round like the Thrustmaster Warthog stick, or more like the CH Products Fighterstick, which moves more angular (e.g., feeling the "notches" when rotating the stick in a circle; feeling the axis transitions) because of the way it is built?

This question came up on the DCS forum in an unrelated discussion, and I was wondering this myself...

Thanks.
VKB North America
https://VKBcontrollers.com

Bourrinopathe

Re: New gimbal movement?

Postby Bourrinopathe » Sun Dec 20, 2015 9:22

Good question! I can't wait to test that myself.
Based on the design and the goals it should be close to a smooth circle, even near the center (with the soft center cams). The progressive resistance should provide a very interesting feeling and a precious mechanical feedback about the angular limits (and thus the aircraft capabilities).

Unless I'm mistaken, the prototype picture shows the two cam versions (soft center on the left and firm center on the right)
(I know the pitch axis cam design is specific to the stick centermass (slightly pushing to the front) - so I might be wrong):

On a related note:
I'd love to know how a Su-27 control stick feels. Even if the distance between the gimbal and the stick itself is far more important than with the classic Mamba stick.
/// ВКБ Black Mamba MkIII / ВКБ T-Rudder MkII / ВКБ Gladiator / X-55 Rhino throttle / OpenTrack /// UTC +4 ///

UIV
Мастер

Postby UIV » Sun Dec 20, 2015 14:28

Bourrinopathe wrote:Good question! I can't wait to test that myself.
Based on the design and the goals it should be close to a smooth circle, even near the center (with the soft center cams). The progressive resistance should provide a very interesting feeling and a precious mechanical feedback about the angular limits (and thus the aircraft capabilities).

Unless I'm mistaken, the prototype picture shows the two cam versions (soft center on the left and firm center on the right)
(I know the pitch axis cam design is specific to the stick centermass (slightly pushing to the front) - so I might be wrong):

On a related note:
I'd love to know how a Su-27 control stick feels. Even if the distance between the gimbal and the stick itself is far more important than with the classic Mamba stick.

You are right. It's two different cam (soft and hard center detend)

rrohde

Postby rrohde » Sun Dec 20, 2015 14:43

Thanks for the feedback, Bourrinopathe! Progressive resistance and two types of centering cam options is going to be nice!

@UIV - can you answer the question? How does the new gimbal movement feel? Is it like the Warthog, or like the CH Fighterstick?
VKB North America

StarLordRick

Postby StarLordRick » Tue Dec 22, 2015 2:36

Smooth center is what im looking for since i hate how my cougar center works and cant wait my guns on anything for WW2 or space sims.

Azurith

Postby Azurith » Tue Dec 22, 2015 3:56

Soft center for space sims Fo Sho. Is it gonna come with both? I was under the impression we would get different springs but different cams is pretty slick :D

rrohde

Postby rrohde » Tue Dec 22, 2015 5:17

Agreed. Smooth center all the way!
VKB North America

UIV
Мастер

Postby UIV » Tue Dec 22, 2015 8:07

rrohde wrote:Thanks for the feedback, Bourrinopathe! Progressive resistance and two types of centering cam options is going to be nice!

@UIV - can you answer the question? How does the new gimbal movement feel? Is it like the Warthog, or like the CH Fighterstick?

It's not easy to explain taste of pie if you never eat pie. :D
I create 2 sets of cam, with different shape to get different feeling. Special cam for Warthog grip is created too. I hope, the combination of different cams and springs can help you to make what feeling of joystick you want.

Spiftastic

Postby Spiftastic » Tue Dec 22, 2015 8:55

UIV wrote:
rrohde wrote:Thanks for the feedback, Bourrinopathe! Progressive resistance and two types of centering cam options is going to be nice!

I create 2 sets of cam, with different shape to get different feeling. Special cam for Warthog grip is created too. I hope, the combination of different cams and springs can help you to make what feeling of joystick you want.

Are you saying that the joystick will ship with interchangeable sets of cams, or are they are sold separately?

rrohde

Postby rrohde » Tue Dec 22, 2015 9:14

UIV wrote:

Thanks for the info, UIV! I am looking forward to my Mamba and cannot wait to test this for myself! :)
VKB North America

rrohde

Postby rrohde » Tue Dec 22, 2015 9:20

Spiftastic wrote:Are you saying that the joystick will ship with interchangeable sets of cams, or are they are sold separately?

That's a good question. I've noticed that the VKB Stick Extension comes with a new set of (probably) stiffer springs, but I haven't seen any cams on sale. So I assume that the Mamba comes with both a soft center and indented center cam - similar to how you can flip the cam over in the VKB T-Rudder pedals (without having to spend extra money).

I hope that UIV can confirm this.
VKB North America

UIV
Мастер

Postby UIV » Tue Dec 22, 2015 10:51

All cams are included in gimbal. No need to buy them separately, as we try to give our clients better choice. We are not Saitek :D :D :D

rrohde

Postby rrohde » Tue Dec 22, 2015 21:24

That's fantastic, UIV! Thanks for the info!
VKB North America

Satyrn

Postby Satyrn » Wed Dec 23, 2015 5:58

UIV wrote:All cams are included in gimbal. No need to buy them separately, as we try to give our clients better choice. We are not Saitek :D :D :D

That is awesome. You really made my day just now.

Caillin

Postby Caillin » Wed Dec 23, 2015 7:19

UIV wrote:We are not Saitek :D :D :D

Quote of the year :)

Looking forward to seeing the new gimbal in action.

Return to “General discussions”