Pre-purchase advice

Moderator: AdminGroup

MorsKochanski

Pre-purchase advice

Postby MorsKochanski » Wed Mar 29, 2023 16:12

With all the options, I'm slightly confused. Will these items work together without any additional parts or spacers?
I would like to mount the joystick and throttle unit to the desk clamp and connect the rudder pedals so that only one connection is required on the PC.

• VKB-Sim T-Rudder Pedals Mk.IV
• Gladiator NXT EVO 'F-14 Combat Edition'
• VKB UCM Stronghold (Stand-Alone) - UCM-S GL
• GNX THQ (Throttle Quadrant)

Are there any extra options I should consider, and why? Will the software cope with all three items at the same time? Does the software need to be running in the background when the Sim application is active? What are the benefits of the Gunfighter bases compared to the NXT-EVO?

Thanks in advance.

fallout9

Re: Pre-purchase advice

Postby fallout9 » Wed Mar 29, 2023 20:41

The products listed will work together on the same computer, not as a single USB device, but 2 - the joystick and THQ linked together, then the rudders.
Not too sure about the way you see your setup, but if you plan to mount the joystick in the center it might get a bit uncomfortable, as the Gladiator NXT EVO is designed as a side joystick (the grip doesn't have an offset from center). If you want to attach the THQ to the side of the joystick I suggest to also get a reinforcing plate too, as the module will simply hang in the air, with no support underneath (it could be used in this way though).
You could also get a throttle grip for the THQ; this will reduce the number of axes on it from 3 to 2 though, but it would provide 6 buttons on the grip.
Another recommended part is a GNX HID Controller - this could be installed inside the THQ, so you could use it independently like an USB device, if you'll decide this at a later date.
A more expensive option would be to have a second UCM on the left side holding a left hand Gladiator NXT EVO with OTA which would act as a throttle (X axis locked, springs removed and dampeners tightened up on pitch axis).

MorsKochanski

Postby MorsKochanski » Wed Mar 29, 2023 22:57

Thanks for the prompt reply.

So, the Gladiator is meant to be used to one side of the body or the other, left side or right side, but not centrally (between the legs)? Is there a centrally mounted handle at all?

I think you are correct, it would be better to mount the throttle assembly on its own, independent, desk clamp, rather than trying to attach to the one holding the joystick.

EDIT: If I were to purchase the Gunfighter option (F14 looks good to me), could this be mounted centrally? And if using the long version of desk mount, UCM-L GF could the quadrant GNX-THQ be mounted on the slanted, upright portion of the clamp. So there would be the joystick sitting centrally, with the quadrant mounted vertically, onto the clamp body. I could reach forward with the left hand to control throttle etc. whilst using my right to control the joystick?

fallout9

Postby fallout9 » Thu Mar 30, 2023 6:15

The GunFighter base is better for center mount, as it's smaller than the Gladiator. The grips could also be installed on the base in a slanted position for ergonomic handling (before buying ask the local vendor if the grip has the second hole for offset mount, just to make sure, as some older generations of grips don't have that).
The UCM system comes with a special bracket for NXT modules (they could get attached to it only on vertical, so make sure you chose the right THQ for your setup), so you could slap the THQ on it, but not sure how easy would be to operate both stick and throttle on top of each other.
Decisions, decisions :) don't you hate it when there are too many options? :))

MorsKochanski

Postby MorsKochanski » Thu Mar 30, 2023 13:08

Final question, the top banner on the website states that VAT and import duties will be charged on entry to the UK, however the checkout appears to charge for that already. Will I be paying VAT at checkout and when it clears UK customs then?

fallout9

Postby fallout9 » Fri Mar 31, 2023 3:41

If you're accessing the website from UK you'll see the final price without VAT, as UK is charging that at customs.

MorsKochanski

Postby MorsKochanski » Fri Mar 31, 2023 16:32

Yes, you are correct. I hadn't set the destination country so it had defaulted to the Netherlands, I see the revised costs now (it's a shame an agreement/ arrangement cannot be made as with Virpil, as UK Customs also adds a fee to calculate the fee! - how lovely of them).

I have the items in my basket ready to hit go, however, I cannot get my account activated on the https://flightsimcontrols.com/ website – it never sends the activation email?

Can that be fixed as I'd like to have an account and record of purchase set up with them before I buy please? Same email as my user account here.

Many thanks for your prompt responses too.

This too, is now resolved. Many thanks Eduard.

Return to “General discussions”