WWII games no needing online play

Moderator: AdminGroup

gadgetman

WWII games no needing online play

Postby gadgetman » Fri Jun 05, 2020 20:30

Okay I am new to this forum. Purchased a Gladiator MKII stick a few months ago. Just now getting around to trying to use it on my old WWII games, that worked on old Windows 95 to XP systems. Not having much luck getting the stick to work with the old games. About a year ago I tried my old SideWinder Force Feedback Pro stick using a Rockfire USB module. That setup did not work well. Of course, my computer now days is a Windows 10 64-bit system. So, I guess I need a new version of WWII flight simulator games and cannot find one that does not require online setup. I do not want to play online or pay monthly fees. I am retired and on a fixed budget. Are there any WWII flight simulator games that do not require to be played online that will work with the Gladiator MKII? I tried a few word searches on the forum and getting things like, “too many words used” or “too many words that match” or something like that.

fallout9

Re: WWII games no needing online play

Postby fallout9 » Sat Jun 06, 2020 1:01

Definitely the best by far is Il-2 Sturmovik! Has several modules, each covering a certain time of the WWII, with maps and planes updated for that time. I would suggest to make your choice by looking at the planes each module contains. Game has lots of single player, you could create your own scenario; or you could play a whole scripted campaign (or more). There are also lots of tutorials for the game and its planes on YouTube.

Drano

Postby Drano » Sat Jun 06, 2020 2:50

Agreed IL-2 has what you're looking for. I'm currently a few missions into the latest P-38 campaign. In the offline campaigns you start a career as a new pilot and if you live long enough, work your way up to command. The missions are fun. There's some fairly competent AI fighting back. First bunch of missions so far in this one has been a lot of ground attack of armor and trains. That's OK. I need practice with the mud moving stuff anyway! Give it a try.
Gunfighter MkI w/MkIII update + MCG-Pro Grip
Avia S Cams
2x #30A Springs
FW:v2.13F
Devconfig: v92.78
Zbootloader: v2.01

Asus Strix X570-E Gaming
Ryzen9 5800X3D
Asus Strix 3080 12GB
32GB Corsair Vengeance PC3600
EVGA G6 1000W
Reverb G2V2
Win10/64

gadgetman

Postby gadgetman » Sun Jun 07, 2020 18:35

Thank you for the info. I do have IL2 Sturmovik WWII Combat Simulator on a CD purchased years ago maybe in 2001. However, it will not install. I have tried compatibility mode on different .exe setup files, several .exe files on the CD and just clicking on setup when the CD is put in. Will not start anything other than I can see what is on the CD in file manager. Most old CD's of games I have do at least setup even if they will not work with the stick. Come to think of it I have never installed the game even when I got it years ago. Maybe it was a free CD when I purchased something years ago. Just old programs that will never work again on new computers and they were fun games. Makes me wish that I had kept my old computer for a game center but just did not have the space.

fallout9

Postby fallout9 » Sun Jun 07, 2020 19:42

Il-2 series got through a couple of developers since beginning. The copy that you have must be pretty old so it's not compatible with current Windows version. The latest games installments are here: https://il2sturmovik.com/store/battle-of-stalingrad/. You could choose any game with 'Battle of...' in title, each representing a distinctive time and location during WWII. For each packet there's a Standard version and a more expensive Premium version; the only difference is that the Premium version contains a few collector planes. Standard version has plenty of planes for both opponents though.

Jasper

Postby Jasper » Mon Jun 15, 2020 16:31

You could also try DCS: https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/ ... ads/world/

The free version has the TF51. It's a concept where you can buy seperate planes or theatres. For a more action like simulator, i advice Il2 Great Battles as mentioned.

Monkey Pants

Postby Monkey Pants » Fri Jun 26, 2020 11:06

If you are on a limited budget and don't mind year 2001 graphics (still pretty good) I would suggest: IL2 1946 (not IL2 Battle of ........)

- Later version of IL2 Sturmivik that you have already.
- Very cheap to buy.
- Will run on nearly any version of windows.
- Won't need a super graphics card
- Massive amount of offline content, probably more than any other flight sim (maps, campaigns etc.)
- Huge amount of player-built content (missions, campaigns etc.)
- Active modding community (google "Mission4Today"&"SAS1946")

Played it to death myself :D

MP

fallout9

Postby fallout9 » Fri Jun 26, 2020 17:57

Both Il-2 and DCS are running summer sales these days, Il-2 especially is cheap cheap cheap...

Return to “General discussions”