STECS Upgrade Requirements

Moderator: AdminGroup

tuffysdad

STECS Upgrade Requirements

Postby tuffysdad » Fri Jan 19, 2024 3:02

I want to upgrade my STECS Standard to STECS Max. Wondering if I can confirm these are the necessary parts:

- STECS ATEM (Auxiliary Throttle Extension Module)
- STECS Mini Plus/Max Baseplate
- STECS STEM Back Cover
- GNX MFH (Multi-Functional Holder)

Thanks very much.

fallout9

Re: STECS Upgrade Requirements

Postby fallout9 » Wed Jan 24, 2024 1:59

You'll need the screws to attach the STEM to the MFH too, also this cable; make sure you mention what's your scope in the order's notes and the they'll add all the necessary hardware.

tuffysdad

Postby tuffysdad » Tue Jan 30, 2024 5:57

Thanks for the reply. I didn't order a USB-C cable with VKB so got one from Amazon. Attached the throttle to the STEM Module with the cable, recalibrated the device. Testing with the Button Tester the throttle and ATM work fine, but not the STEM. Did I miss something? Thanks again.

Delta

Postby Delta » Tue Jan 30, 2024 17:30

The type-C cable that connects STECS to STEM and GNX modules to each other is a proprietary VKB bus cable, not a standard USB-C cable. It only uses USB-C connectors to allow the use of the GNX-HID board for USB connectivity in GNX modules.

USB2 type-C cables are not expected to work. USB3 type-C cables may work, but genuine VKB cables are the only ones for which performance is guaranteed.

Also, even if you have a compatible cable, recalibration is not enough. You need to revert the configuration to default and trigger the autoconfig procedure to incorporate new extension modules.

tuffysdad

Postby tuffysdad » Wed Jan 31, 2024 9:46

Got it. So, I am arranging to get the proper cable. In advance of that, can you direct me to the default and autoconfig operation locations? I cannot seem to find the settings in the VKBDevConf software... Is there some other software to use for this purpose? Thanks again.

Delta

Postby Delta » Wed Jan 31, 2024 11:14

Default should show up in one of the toolbar tabs. Tools, I believe. Autoconfig should be prompted after the controller reconnects if you have an up-to-date version of vkbdevcfg, just say yes to that prompt.

tuffysdad

Postby tuffysdad » Thu Feb 01, 2024 9:26

Got it. Thanks very much.

tuffysdad

Postby tuffysdad » Tue Feb 06, 2024 8:01

Just got an authentic VKB cable. I plugged it in, reset configuration to default and allowed automatic reconfiguration when prompted. I then recalibrated the throttle as prompted. Thought I got it right but when I button testing them all, the STEM is not recognized although the STECS and ATEM are. An additional clue is that the unit is listed as a Mini-Plus, not Max. Any suggestions on setting up would be greatly appreciated. Thanks again very much.

Delta

Postby Delta » Tue Feb 06, 2024 13:02

Just to make sure, when you took the STEM off the Standard plate, did you connect the JST connector on the STEM mainboard with that on the USB board? Using the cable that used to connect it to the STECS base?

tuffysdad

Postby tuffysdad » Wed Feb 07, 2024 20:35

My oversight (as usual)! All working now. Thanks so much for providing the best support in the HOTAS industry.

Return to “Manuals and Howtos”