Gladiator NXT EVO Mini-stick Mouse Functioning

Moderator: AdminGroup

Venqm

Gladiator NXT EVO Mini-stick Mouse Functioning

Postby Venqm » Sat Oct 21, 2023 22:49

Slightly overwhelmed by the amount of customizability with my new joysticks, but love the potential the programming software provides.

I've watched the setup guide videos that would apply to the following, but so far I have not been able to get the functionality working as desired as it seems a bit more advanced than the scenarios presented in the tutorial videos.

Here's what I'm looking to do with the POV mini-stick. For reference, i'm using a Gladiator NXT EVO Right hand, software/firmware is v2.165.

Default starting state is POV (axes mode)
In this mode, Rot X/Rot Y would control the yaw/pitch (X/Y). Note that this would be in addition to the usual joystick X/Y axes controlling yaw/pitch. I prefer Y-Axis being inverted, and thus Rot Y axis would need to be inverted
A short press of the mini-stick center alternates the Curves response for the appropriate axes. I'm not certain if I would setup a Curve for the Rot X/Rot Y, or the X/Y axes.
Basically, when the mini-stick is in POV mode, I control yaw/pitch under 2 different sensitivity levels. A short button press switches between the Curve response.

Using a long press of the mini-stick center will change the mode to digital and would be setup for relative mouse control. However, the mouse control is NOT inverted.
Preferably, the short press of the mini-stick would be disabled when in Mouse mode function, but this is minor.
A long press when in Mouse mode would then go back to the axes mode controlling yaw/pitch, with the 2 control sensitivities available using the short press.

Hopefully that was clear enough so as to provide a solution to this.
I think this is the most difficult setup scheme in my controls. Everything after this will be easy I think.

Mahalo

UPDATE:
Still learning the terminology and I may have mixed some things up in the original post.
For context, the control scheme would be for Elite Dangerous. When flying FA-Off, especially in small/fast ships, my fine control aiming is hindered by joystick axis sensitivity causing uncontrolled ship rotation/drift/etc.
Have been establishing response curves to get things under control and in the process, I found what, I think, is a suitable solution. Unfortunately, it utilizes both the joystick software and keybindings/setup within the game. As such, it would be more susceptible to alterations/loss with game updates if a backup of the keybindings is not kept.

Here's what did it, hopefully with using correct terminology:
Gladiator NXT EVO Right hand
Global/Common tab - Mouse set as Relative, Always On, Speed 1, Curves OFF
Profile/POVs - LoRes8w, Relative Mouse, VC 1, 2D checked, X/Y (5/6), Circle, On/Off
Ministick Push (Button 13 for me) - uStickSwitch, POV 1, Tempo B, POV on start, NO axis reset, Mapped to available button (37 for me)
Response Curves for axes 5 & 6 were reduced. Cubic curve, max value was ~66%

The rest was done within game:
Under ship controls, Mouse controls are on, Relative mode for both axes
Under Flight Rotation, Pitch and Yaw have the Rx/Ry axes of the mini-stick assigned as secondary bindings (Main X/Y axes (#1 & 2) are mapped as Primary)
Pitch can be Regular or Inverted, so this addressed the need explained in the original post.

This allows for the following:
Normal flight rotation using joystick (X,Y, Z Rot axes), each with their own Reg/Inv option and response curve
Mini-stick flight rotation (Pitch/Yaw for me) using Rx/Ry axes, uses a different response curve allowing for better aiming, Reg/Inv can be done with software or in game bindings
Mini-stick (in mouse mode) can be used for very fine control aiming (Pitch/Yaw) as relative mouse is utilized through the game

All in all, very close to the desired input scheme. Hope this might aide others.
Lovin' the quality of these joysticks, but, my goodness is the learning curve steep. Haven't had as much confusion and brain locks since advanced calculus.

Return to “Manuals and Howtos”