Virtual Split Throttle with NXT Evo Gladiator

Moderator: AdminGroup

Oridginal

Virtual Split Throttle with NXT Evo Gladiator

Postby Oridginal » Sun Mar 19, 2023 11:21

I've just recently bought an NXT Evo Gladiator Omni and was wondering if it can be used for twin engine control?

The idea would be to convert the two physical axes (X & Y) into two virtual axes (L & R). The math is simple, but my coding ability is weak.

The idea is that the Y axis is the baseline throttle for the left & right engines, while the X axis acts as a sort of differential. Pushing the stick left would reduce power to the left engine, and pushing the stick right reduces power to the right engine.

Normalising the X & Y axes to [-1<X<1] & [-1<Y<1] the math is:

If x=O
L= Y
R= Y
Else If X < O
L= Y*(1+X)
R= Y
Else If X > 0
L= Y
R= Y*(1-X)

Can this sort of thing be done in the VKB config software? Any feedback is appreciate

Victorus

Re: Virtual Split Throttle with NXT Evo Gladiator

Postby Victorus » Sun Mar 19, 2023 23:23

Try the following settings. Set Enabled & Visible axes #7 & 8. virtual L&R. Set AxisID the same as Y =2. Both axes will repeat throttle. Cet Combine as BrakeV3. + and -.Try some value for action beginning. About 12 mine). If you do not need source axes, uncheck En&Vs for them. Press Set. Try.
Attachments
brakev3.jpg
Руководство пользователя по контроллерам VKB (VKB controllers User Guide) Ru&En
https://disk.yandex.ru/d/LlqiYtIrIetBOQ

DeadWalking

Postby DeadWalking » Mon Mar 20, 2023 7:10

Victorus
That works pretty perfect. I may want to adjust the action/% to dial it in.
Thanks!
I hadn't got around to trying it myself.
I noticed Oridginal's other thread first.
Glad I checked the pinned one when I noticed the titles.

A little edit: Being new on the forum board I mistook the attachments paperclip as the pinned icon.
Last edited by DeadWalking on Mon Mar 20, 2023 18:49, edited 1 time in total.

Oridginal

Postby Oridginal » Mon Mar 20, 2023 11:04

That looks like what I was going for, thanks!

Oridginal

Postby Oridginal » Mon Mar 27, 2023 18:39

Following up a few days later now that I've had a bit more time to get used to my new HOTAS and experiment more with the config tool.

Victorus, you solution does exactly what I asked for (thanks again), and it works great for space sims with forward and back thrust, but I now realise that I didn't know the right question to ask.

What I'm trying to do is have it so that when the left stick is all the way back both virtual throttles are outputting zero, and when the stick is all the way forward (assuming the X axis is centred) both virtual throttles are outputting max. I've tried making an intermediate virtual Y axis that goes from 0 to Ymax, but I can only get that to work with half the physical travel of the stick.

I've made a sketch of what I'm trying to do, hopefully it makes sense. The first graph shows the normalised X & Y position of the stick between 1 & -1 (0 being centred), with the second graph showing the normalised output of the virtual throttles (0 = closed, 1 = max thrust). The red numbers show the desired relationship between the stick position and the virtual throttle outputs.

Thanks

Virtual Split Throttle Sketch.jpg

Return to “Manuals and Howtos”