Reinforcing Plate Installation

Moderator: AdminGroup

bhemp

Reinforcing Plate Installation

Postby bhemp » Wed Mar 01, 2023 6:39

Can someone post a photo of the square GNX-GNX reinforcing plates and the GNX-Gladiator reinforcing plates installed? I'm having a hard time understanding where these connect, and I think a photo showing exactly where they go and how they fit with the regular baseplates would be helpful to decide if I need them. Thanks!

Grumble

Re: Reinforcing Plate Installation

Postby Grumble » Wed Mar 01, 2023 10:10

Hi Bhemp,

I bought the reinforcing plates and think they add a lot of useful strength, as well as taking some of the strain off the plastic sides where the modules join. Here's how they fit on mine:

https://1drv.ms/u/s!AiuorbBMUyN9f4d66IC ... g?e=0ljXxb

Note I have used different screws to the philips headed ones provided as standard, as I found the heads began to chew up after a few times removing and replacing them.

bhemp

Postby bhemp » Thu Mar 02, 2023 9:48

Thanks @Grumble! That helps a lot. So I guess they are not as thick as the rubber feet and everything sits flat?

Grumble

Postby Grumble » Thu Mar 02, 2023 10:37

No problem, happy to help!

The reinforcing plates themselves are slightly thinner than the rubber pads, so everything should fit nice and flat if you use the black countersunk screws to attach the plates. As per my previous post though, I found the standard supplied screws to be of a rather soft metal, which after just a couple of times removing / tightening had chewed up the heads far too easily, and left some sharp, spiky bits of metal sticking out, albeit very small. This happened regardless of whether I used the supplied VKB screwdriver, or the best fitting of multiple bits from a high quality toolkit.

Because I don't have the desk space for a permanent mounted controls setup I use the whole thing like an all-in-one hotas, which is lifted onto and off of my desk or lap when needed. As such, the little sharp edges from the chewed screws were a problem, so I have replaced them in the picture with VKB's allen-headed self tapping screws. These screw heads protrude slightly more than the rubber pads but there are no sharp edges, so for my intended use this is fine. If I do ever decide to mount it on a flat surface, a trip to the hardware store for some steel countersunk screws would resolve the issue.

Return to “Manuals and Howtos”