VKB FSM-GA Module Configuration Solution / Information

Moderator: AdminGroup

JPVann

VKB FSM-GA Module Configuration Solution / Information

Postby JPVann » Sun Feb 05, 2023 18:55

I got the VKB FSM-GA and SEM last week and was surprised there is literally nothing on the web, at VKB or in videos that explain to a buyer how to set this up. Like a lot of flight sim products there is no real documentation on what to do with this thing once you have it.

So here’s what I found out that may help others - please correct me if something needs it.

1. The VKB FSM-GA box is almost a carbon copy of the Garmin GMC 507 Autopilot Control Head (picture of FSM, then the Garmin below). You can literally refer to the pertinent parts of the Garmin manual for instruction on how to use and setup your FSM module (http://daytonpilotsclub.org/wp-content/ ... Manual.pdf). This excerpt from Garmin is also a great primer on how their autopilot systems work.

Note you can benefit using Spad.next, Axes and Ohs or MobiFlight to utilize conditions, controls and variables not available in the MSFS in-game controls - it’s more work upfront but well worth it in the results. Lots of online support.

FSM-GA

Garmin GMC-507

2. It has 3 encoders (dials) - HDG, ALT and wheel for VS. Like in real life AP panels, the two HDG and ALT should always set HDG and selected ALT.

The VS wheel on the other hand has to be set for dual purpose. Changing target VS for VS mode, changing target IAS in IAS and FLC modes - in some planes and addons it does that automatically. If wheel up down command is not available for the addon (ex.) then you might need to do a conditional event yourself if using Spad, AAO or Mobi.

The left encoder controls HDG and Track. So If addon uses a similar AP module, you can set the left encoder with dual functions as well. If using Spad or other program you can use a mappable local variable as condition, (ie local variable you create is ON (1, for ON for example) dial changes HDG. If variable is a 0 (OFF) you would change TRK. Alternatively you can use AP state LVars as conditions as well if they are available for the aircraft addon. For example if TRK mode is active, send CRS increase/decrease events, if HDG mode is active send HDG BUG increase/decrease commands. etc etc.

Hope this helps - was surprised to find so little information on how to do this. I know. I know - 'You're supposed to figure out all this yourself!" Looking forward to learning more from others!

bozuwatch

Re: VKB FSM-GA Module Configuration Solution / Information

Postby bozuwatch » Mon Mar 06, 2023 10:44

Thank you!
I've had some sleepless night trying to make the encoders to work in dual mode only from the Options menu.
Will look into the addons you mentioned.

Victorus

Postby Victorus » Mon Mar 06, 2023 14:30

Chairman Mao Zedong said "Let a hundred flowers bloom...". I use HDG/TRK as axis to trim yaw (pedals, connected to BlackBox with GF), ALT SEL - roll, VS - pitch.
So many ways for VKB devices)))
Руководство пользователя по контроллерам VKB (VKB controllers User Guide) Ru&En
https://disk.yandex.ru/d/LlqiYtIrIetBOQ

rhymin

Postby rhymin » Thu Jun 29, 2023 10:43

Sry to bring up an old thread but I’d like to make the HDG encoder adjust CRS while in nav mode in msfs as described but not sure where to start!?

If anyone has made this work any assistance would be much appreciated :)

Thanks

Victorus

Postby Victorus » Thu Jun 29, 2023 11:35

Look at User Guide. Section 4.3.10. Encoders.
Руководство пользователя по контроллерам VKB (VKB controllers User Guide) Ru&En
https://disk.yandex.ru/d/LlqiYtIrIetBOQ

rhymin

Postby rhymin » Thu Jun 29, 2023 13:29

Cool thx for quick reply I’ll look into it

JetherJr

Postby JetherJr » Tue Feb 13, 2024 6:05

Hello, I would like information on what is needed for all the functions and buttons of the VKb FSM GA to work by connecting directly to the PC. Do I need to have two GNX USB Controller (HID-Main)? Do I need cables that I need to purchase separately?

fallout9

Postby fallout9 » Wed Feb 14, 2024 22:56

You'll only need the FSM GA, a single GNX HID Controller (it comes with the USB cable) and some way to attach the device to your desk, as it needs to be mounted in order to get it stable.

Return to “Manuals and Howtos”