Toggle Axis Combine

Moderator: AdminGroup

darkovertones

Toggle Axis Combine

Postby darkovertones » Thu Jan 05, 2023 19:03

I am looking to be able to combine NXT mini-sick axis with pitch and yaw axis for fine aim adjustment - but only sometime. I still want to be able to use the mini-stick as a digital hat without affecting the other axis. The problem is that even when in HAT mode, the mini-stick analog output is still fed to the standard combine function.

I have tried a bunch of different things to change this but no luck. Can anyone tell me how to do this?

Thanks!

fallout9

Re: Toggle Axis Combine

Postby fallout9 » Thu Jan 05, 2023 21:26

Wouldn't a Trim function work better for your needs? Ministick trimming the main axes?

darkovertones

Postby darkovertones » Thu Jan 05, 2023 22:25

I don't know? I'm not looking to change the center point just to have temporary fine adjustment. Can you do that with trim, and if so how?

fallout9

Postby fallout9 » Thu Jan 05, 2023 22:54

Trimming would definitely work better than swapping a full analog axis with a ministick. Here's a tutorial on axes trimming and here's another for adjusting the ministick.

darkovertones

Postby darkovertones » Thu Jan 05, 2023 23:32

Hmmm... I actually already watched those, and I still don't know how to get what I want.

This is the effect I want. The only problem is that I want to be able to use the 8-way HAT function on the mini-stick without the axis combining firing. (So my ship stops jumping while moving through menus.) Even using AUX Axis - SWITCH 0 to move 5 to 7 and 6 to 8 doesn't prevent the mini-stick HAT from affecting the other axis.

Untitled.png

Not sure if I missed a key piece of information in those videos. But maybe one more hint on what to do?

Thanks.

fallout9

Postby fallout9 » Fri Jan 06, 2023 1:00

If you say ship that means you're trying to get this into a space sim? In this case neither trimming nor adjusting aim with your ministick would help in my opinion - trim would be too slow and the ministick would be imprecise for your needs.
Try DR function - activate it on the Global/Common panel, then assign a button to DR in Profile/Buttons/Physical Layer; test its options to see which one would fit you better. Could also try curves - either permanent curves applied on your axes or temporary curves activated by a button.

darkovertones

Postby darkovertones » Fri Jan 06, 2023 2:16

Sapce sims... You are correct! I primarily play Elite Dangerous. (Sorry, my original post probably needed more of an explanation.)

I am trying to get DR setup now, but I'm having strange results...
  1. On Globaal->Common, I set D.Rate to 1:4
  2. I set a button (D1) to Fixed Axis->DR for Axis 2 and 3
  3. Testing it out, nothing is different when I hold the button down...
  4. But, if I change DR to DRa (with the alternate operation), everything works as expected. I can toggle the DRate operation on/off with D1.

Is this a bug?
Gladiator NXT R Premium XT2 v2.122
VKB Config 0.92.51

During this I noticed that a Rate option will sometimes appear when configuring the DR button. It seems to appear when changing selected FA Type or toggling the Alternate Option checkbox. I have been selecting 1:4 (since that's what the global setting is on) when it's available, but I'm not sure if it is supposed to be visible here.

Untitled.png

fallout9

Postby fallout9 » Fri Jan 06, 2023 2:56

Could be a bug, but why are you applying it on pitch and twist? Yaw axis should be included in there too, at least that's how I use it in E:D.
In any case, make sure the rate settings are the same in the Common and Buttons layers.

darkovertones

Postby darkovertones » Fri Jan 06, 2023 3:04

I have no pedals. Twist is my yaw.

darkovertones

Postby darkovertones » Fri Jan 06, 2023 7:09

Update: I have figured out how to do what I was trying to do.

Now, I'm not going to say with conviction that this is the best way to do things, but in case anyone comes along later and finds this useful... Here's the trick.
  1. Setup the Combine axis as shown above (or however you want them) - but we'll assume 5/6 are combining with 3/2.
  2. Set a button to Fix Axis->FA2 for Axis 5 and 6
  3. Push the button to disable the mini-stick axis axis. The HAT functions will still work, but the analog output will be completely disabled.

For some reason none of the Fix Axis options work for me unless I use the alternate action option, so I'm using that. It's fine for this since I want to turn this on when I cycle through shipboard menus in Elite. But, it could be annoying in other circumstances.

Fallout,
Thanks for the help. You pointed out several other options for fine aiming which I will try in turn.

Cheers! o7

Return to “Manuals and Howtos”