Gladiator NXT EVO Quick Switch

Moderator: AdminGroup

m.smallwood

Gladiator NXT EVO Quick Switch

Postby m.smallwood » Tue Aug 02, 2022 17:16

I was wondering if anyone thought of a way, or if an option was in development, to quickly change the physical axis options for an NXT EVO. Some games, I like having the the full springed X and Y axis, but other games I want the X locked and Y without the spring. So curious if this is even a possibility or if I shoild cut my losses now.

fallout9

Re: Gladiator NXT EVO Quick Switch

Postby fallout9 » Tue Aug 02, 2022 21:28

You could create 2 profiles for that, first profile with a deadzone in the center of pitch axis, eventually with a curve too (this would be used in a space sim for strafe forward/backward) and a second profile with no deadzone and an axis without center (this would be for flight sims, as a full throttle).
Make sure your joystick is calibrated with these settings before saving the profiles. This way you'll just load the first profile when you play space sims and the second profile when you take the springs out to play flight sims.

m.smallwood

Postby m.smallwood » Tue Aug 02, 2022 22:18

I guess a deadzone could work with no spring attached. If there was a detent for center that would be perfect (there's an idea for ya. And add on to add a detent). I guess I was just looking for literally a physical solution.

fallout9

Postby fallout9 » Wed Aug 03, 2022 0:39

There is a detent, but it's gone if the spring is removed (I guess you already know that though). As a suggestion, you could increase the deadzone on the pitch axis to 6 or 7 and program the LED on the head of the grip to flash red when the joystick is within the deadzone. It would take a bit to get adjusted to that, but I'm sure soon you'd be able to decrease the deadzone down to 4 or 5, at least that's what worked for me.

m.smallwood

Postby m.smallwood » Wed Aug 03, 2022 2:03

If I used the lowest strength spring and tightened the dampeners way up on the y axis, should that give it a detent but still stay where it's movies to? (Would also need a reminder as to which spring number is which haha)

fallout9

Postby fallout9 » Wed Aug 03, 2022 2:59

That would put too much pressure on the gimbal; not saying that'd break, but not advised.

m.smallwood

Postby m.smallwood » Wed Aug 03, 2022 3:34

Roger that. Hmmm, guess I just have to think about it and how I want it to feel. And hey, if you have any idea to develop an add on for adding detents, I would be extremely interested. Don't know how much of a demand there is for something like that haha.

fallout9

Postby fallout9 » Wed Aug 03, 2022 3:39

Gotcha! I know there'd be lots of interest in such a mod, as there are many SC players out there. I'll just forward the suggestion for now :)

Gargouille

Postby Gargouille » Sun Aug 21, 2022 18:41

Yes, a "new new" gimbal with a spring-less center detent would be really nice 8)
even if it's a fixed center detent !

We would have to make a choice when buying the NXT to EVO upgrade kit (with or without center detent...)

That would make it a perfect upgrade kit to my opinion... :wink:

legrunt

Postby legrunt » Wed Sep 07, 2022 15:33

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WPeLB5sXack

Check out this mod. Very simple. Essentially the throttle is sprung in the backwards range, but unsprung in the forward range. That way, I can have the throttle like an unsprung throttle when I am flying forward, but when it comes to maneuvering with reverse thrusters for landing, for example, it would spring back to zero. This also gives a good feel (detent?) when you hit zero if you are reducing throttle from positive forward flight.

Gargouille

Postby Gargouille » Thu Sep 08, 2022 22:54

Indeed, very nice mod :shock:

now I really need an EVO upgrade kit :lol:

Ionshard

Postby Ionshard » Wed Nov 02, 2022 23:18

I second that mod, implemented it myself by looping a paperclip and then tying it off. We'll see if it holds up but so far so good.

Return to “Manuals and Howtos”