Omni throttle setup help

Moderator: AdminGroup

mobbmann

Omni throttle setup help

Postby mobbmann » Wed Apr 27, 2022 22:20

I have an Gladiator EVO omni throttle for my left hand, I am using the Y axis as a throttle for ww2 fighters. I used the plate to lock out the X axis and the screw to lock out the twist axis. I have removed the Spring for the Y axis and tightened the 2 clutch screws in the base.

The problem I'm having is the throttle value keeps wandering especially at over 90% throttle. It jumps back about 1 or 2 percent and I have to fiddle with it in mid flight. I've tried tightening the clutch but now its pretty firm to where its dificult to make quick throttle adjustments. Does anyone have any advice on how to set this up better? is there a guide on set up of the omni throttle?

Thanks again guys,
(Sorry for the basic questions) :)

fallout9

Re: Omni throttle setup help

Postby fallout9 » Wed Apr 27, 2022 23:32

Run a new calibration on Y axis.

mobbmann

Postby mobbmann » Thu Apr 28, 2022 19:45

I ran the calibration 3 times and tested it afterwards each time and the problem persists. I did notice some things though while calibrating:

1. There is forward flex when I move the stick forward, it kind of springs back at the end after I push it all the way forward, it does not do it when I pull back on the stick. Its a sort of forward "flex". In the calibration it flexed over 1200 points in value.

2. To get more specific with the original issue of a 1% drift in throttle value: if I have the stick at 100% and pull back to 99% it will drift back up to 100%, if have it at 91% and pull back to 90% it will drift back up to 91%, unless I overcompensate to adjust for the "spring back" effect. It seems to affect the forward range of the Y axis more than anything between approx 91%-100%.

I adjusted the Y tension screws for resistance of the Y axis and it doesnt change the effect of the drift/springback. This is really frustrating because the functionality of the omni throttle is great, but the distraction of 1% throttle "drift/springback" , while sounding minor, engages wep, and creates significant variations in airspeed. I'm happy to keep trying to figure this out and thank you for your patience in advance Fallout going into next steps for trouble shooting.

Best,
Mobbmann

fallout9

Postby fallout9 » Thu Apr 28, 2022 19:50

Please post 2 screenshots, one with Global/External/ExternalDevices and the other presenting the Profile/Axes/Logical and Physical panels.

mobbmann

Postby mobbmann » Thu Apr 28, 2022 21:12

Here are the screenshots you asked for
Attachments
GlobalExternalExternalDevices1.png
ProfileAxesLogical and Physical panels1.png
ProfileAxesLogical and Physical panels2.png

mobbmann

Postby mobbmann » Thu Apr 28, 2022 21:15

here are two more pics of the stick right after i put it in the forward postion Y axis, and then the drift back after 10 seconds. it drifts back about 200 point here but its usually more than that.

forward.png

forward 10 seconds later.png

fallout9

Postby fallout9 » Thu Apr 28, 2022 21:21

Your calibration looks bad, please follow these steps.

mobbmann

Postby mobbmann » Thu Apr 28, 2022 23:11

That is the guide I used to calibrate the Omni throttle multiple times. For what its worth, calibration for my right stick is perfectly fine and doesnt exhibit any of the left omni throttle behavior.

Is there a specific setting I should be trying to calibrate? the X axis is locked out btw.

Edit: Do the springs need to be installed in the Y axis for proper calibration, regarding centering specifically? It seems like where ever the position of the Y axis is determines the range of the axis.

mobbmann

Postby mobbmann » Fri Apr 29, 2022 0:16

I recalibrated again this time with the spring in place for the Y axis. I then removed the spring after calibration. The problem still persists. I noticed one of the plastic legs that the spring latches onto was getting caught on the edge of the lockout plate for the X axis.

I saw this post with a similar issue:

viewtopic.php?f=25&t=6438

As far as calibration, I dont see any improvement, and secondly the 1% drift is still present no matter how stiff I make the dry clutch. here are the new calibration results.

2ndCalibrationGlobalExternalExternalDevices1.png

2ndCalibrationProfileAxesLogical and Physical panels1.png

2ndCalibrationProfileAxesLogical and Physical panels2.png

fallout9

Postby fallout9 » Fri Apr 29, 2022 1:50

The answer to your issue is in that post you linked - you have to start calibration with the grip in the middle: pull the grip at center, click the Default button, then Find&AutoConfig button and continue with calibration.

mobbmann

Postby mobbmann » Fri Apr 29, 2022 4:23

Thanks fallout, thats exactly what I did and it did rule out the calibration process now that is done correctly. FYI it might be worth noting in set up instructions that the Y axis needs to be centered (easier with spring installed).

As a seperate issue than calibration, the drifting issue of 1% after adjusting, I can visibly seet the Y axis move up after adjustments in the stick itself. Its a physical issue that is actually visible. the stick seems to want to gravitate forward after any adjustment. Its not alot but its enough to wreak havoc on engine management. I'm hoping there is some sort of solution, but even if their isnt, while I wont use it for WW2 throttle management, I will use the left omni throttle for star citizen since I will be reinstalling the spring for the Y axis.

I was really hoping this Omni throttle would work for both WW2 throttle and Star citizen. Thanks for all your help Fallout, I'm still happy with the purchase, of omni throttle since I can confirm it works great in star citizen. As for the Right Gladiator Evo stick... its simply fantastic compared to what I was using before.

If you have any more solutions other than calibration I'm wide open to suggestions, but after seeing the stick physically shifting, I'm not sure if anymore can be done.

Thanks in advance,
Mobbmann

mobbmann

Postby mobbmann » Sat Apr 30, 2022 23:45

Update:
As it turns out, there is something very different from my Left and Right Glad. Evo's. I'm testing the Right Vs. left to see where exactly the flex is coming from in the left stick that makes it back track/drift 1% up. So far the left feels much stickier likes its not greased, I'm going to check a couple of things including magnets and see what the application of grease looks like and go from there.

fallout9

Postby fallout9 » Sun May 01, 2022 9:13

Open up and compare the internals with the other base. If it needs more grease you could spread it around or use some from the secret stash.

mobbmann

Postby mobbmann » Sun May 01, 2022 23:33

I figured out what the issues were and managed to resolve all of them after a complete disassembly. Yes, I said issues plural, I'll go through them one by one:

1st Problem
There was Physical play in the Y axis when I would move the throttle up, it was causing a sort of rubber band effect/drifting of the throttle value. Upon inspection all the screws including the handle, gimbal and internals were loose. The screws closest on the bottom closest to the grip were very loose.

Solution:
I tightened the screws using the tips of my fingers on the screwdriver, about the same tension you would on a cpu water block for all screws in the handle and base including the gimble. After wards the rubber band/drifting was gone.

2nd Problem:
Jittering throttle value by about 1% to 2%. Upon disassembly the Y axis magnet literally fell out and rolled across my desk...winner, winner, chicken dinner.

Solution:
I used a little bit of krazy crazy glue and reseated the magnet and the jittering was gone. Here is a video of how to disassemble and fix this issue:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j17qWC2RCx0

3rd Problem:
The bottom Y axis leg for the spring was catching on the X axis lockout plate causing the leg to get stuck. There was an extra plastic protrusion on the bottom leg that didnt match with my other stick.

Solution:
I used side cutters and snipped most of the extra plastic off the bottom leg, then used a small file to make it match my other stick i was using as a reference. The leg no longer catches on the X axis lockout plate.

4th Problem:
Calibration errors due to axis not being centered.

Solution:
You have to center the axis before calibration or it will not calibrate properly, worst case scenerio from what I saw is youll only have half your range. An easy way to avoid this complication is to simply calibrate with spring installed so it automaticaly centers itself, after calibration remove the spring on the axis if your going to use it as a throttle.

Conclusion:
The performance of the left Gladiator omni throttle now matches the right gladiator stick I own. The fact that I was able to resolve these issues is a testament to the serviceability of these flight sticks. I hope this helps anyone else who might be having issues with their omni throttle or gladiator stick. One other thing that might help, I found around 3 to 3 1/2 turns on both Y axis clutch screws was good for holding the throttle in place without the weight of my hand shifting it but not being too stiff either. Big thanks to Fallout, and whoever that guy who made the magnet replacement video.

Best,
Mobbmann.

fallout9

Postby fallout9 » Mon May 02, 2022 4:32

You're the one actually deserving the thanks for doing all the work. First 3 issues shouldn't have happened, sorry about that. Did you kept some visual evidence about the nr. 3 issue by any chance?
Cheers!

Return to “Manuals and Howtos”