Could use help with VKB-Config...

Moderator: AdminGroup

1sascha

Could use help with VKB-Config...

Postby 1sascha » Wed Apr 13, 2022 16:28

... which looks rather potent, but also pretty intimidating and downright cryptic to me.. :)

I'm currently using Joy2Key for button/axes customization and I guess I'd still need it even if I knew how to workk VKB-config. I use a TM TWCS throttle and I doubt VKB's software will handle that hardware. But you never know ..

My needs are pretty simple, so I'll just post them and ask if I can use the config software for this and if so, how to do it. I'd prefer to be able to do this in a "permanent" manner (without having to open a separate program every time I want to fly). I seem to remember that the Gladiator NXT Evo has onboard memory for this sort of thing... but I could be wrong.

Anyway:

On the stick itself (KG12 grip), I only really need to customize one button. I want it to behave as an on-/off-toggle-switch to activate IL-2's gunsight mode. In the game, that function is a "press and hold"-affair which doesn't work for me and it can't be switched to a toggle in their keymapper.

And if the software can handle generic or non-VKB game-controllers:

I need to be able to turn a couple of buttons on the throttle into keypresses to activate PTT in discord/TS and/or to start/stop Shadowplay/bandicam recordings.
I also need to be able to turn the TM's rudder axis into two key-presses to activate the left and right toe-brakes. Don't have my pedals yet and IL-2 doesn't seem to be able to map half-axes, so I have to use this work-around.

Thanks for the input.

S.

fallout9

Re: Could use help with VKB-Config...

Postby fallout9 » Wed Apr 13, 2022 19:40

First one is easy, see here [urlhttp://forum.vkb-sim.pro/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=6515#p54439]how to program a Button Alt[/url].
There's no way to include third parties into VKB's native software, but what you need for the throttle could get achieved with Joystick Gremlin. It's kind of wonky because it needs a driver to run in the background all the time, but you do what you gotta do if you need it :)

1sascha

Postby 1sascha » Sun Apr 17, 2022 11:28

That looks exactly like what I was looking for, thanks!

Just to clarify: Is this customization (toggle switch behavior) stored within the stick's on-board memory (if it has any)? Meaning I'll only have to set it up in the VKB software once and then it'll be permanent until I change it back again? Or will I still have to start up the VKB software every time before I want to go simming?

but what you need for the throttle could get achieved with Joystick Gremlin

Oh, I've got that to work via Joy2Key already. I was hoping I could do it all with the VKB software, but since my throttle is a third party product I didn't have much hope. No big deal. If you guys ever came up with your own, better and pot-less equivalent to, say, the TWCS or the CH Pro Throttle, I'll be all over that thing and happy to be able to ditch all those third-party-software work-arounds... :)

Besides: I think it's only the toggle-function on the NXT Evo via Joy2Key that (rarely) causes weird controller issues in IL-2 (loss of certain keyboard keys, loss of head-tracking in-game). So I'm hoping that using the VKB software instead of Joy2Key might eliminate those rare glitches. The customizations on the throttle are simpler, I suppose, and don't involve the toggle-function .... which I think is what throws IL-2 out of whack.

S.

Drano

Postby Drano » Sun Apr 17, 2022 16:09

Once you load a profile to your stick from the VKB software it stays in the stick memory. No need for the program to be running. You could take the stick and plug it into another PC and it will still work using that profile. Only time you need to run the software again is if you're switching profiles, calibrating or flashing.

FYI I'm waiting for that throttle for the same reasons you are. My trusty CH is... quite played. It's rather use the single app to program everything. Devconfig is pretty difficult to grasp, even at the low level I have but it goes forever. You can do stuff with a button or hat you'd never thought of!
Gunfighter MkI w/MkIII update + MCG-Pro Grip
Avia S Cams
2x #30A Springs
FW:v2.13F
Devconfig: v92.78
Zbootloader: v2.01

Asus Strix X570-E Gaming
Ryzen9 5800X3D
Asus Strix 3080 12GB
32GB Corsair Vengeance PC3600
EVGA G6 1000W
Reverb G2V2
Win10/64

1sascha

Postby 1sascha » Sun Apr 17, 2022 16:42

Drano wrote: Devconfig is pretty difficult to grasp, even at the low level I have but it goes forever. You can do stuff with a button or hat you'd never thought of!

Glad I'm not the only one who gets confused/scared by all the functions in there and the cryptic abbreviations/acronyms. But yeah: I followed that guide linked by fallout and the button now behaves as desired. And it continued to do so after I rebooted the PC to confirm it's a "permanent" change.

Of course: I then mapped the newly created toggle-button in IL-2. Only had the default, keyboard mapping set for the function, which was activated via Joy2Key before when I pushed the button. And that re-map seemed to confuse IL-2 again because it "forgot" my head-positions and I had to readjust and save everything once or twice to get my views back. :)

On the bright side: No more glitches after that (so far) and the button works just like I hoped it would.

S.

Return to “Manuals and Howtos”