How to Check and Set VID and PID for VKB Gunfighter Mk.III Modern Combat Edition

Moderator: AdminGroup

Dallas88B

How to Check and Set VID and PID for VKB Gunfighter Mk.III Modern Combat Edition

Postby Dallas88B » Mon Feb 21, 2022 3:17

I understand that sometimes the VID/PID that windows (and hence DCS) sees changes.

This can result in a need re bind the stick controls in every plane I have in DCS ... somehow I think DCS detected it as a new joystick and applies default mapping to all my planes

With the VKB Gunfighter Mk.III Modern Combat Edition using VKB software VKBDevCfg can I see and therefore change the current VID and PID setting? (I know can see it in Control Panel Device Settings but I dont know how to change it in VKBDevCfg or on the device)

Also how do I avoid this problem in the future? for example, can I look up a previous configuration file (created in VKBDevCfg software and then saved to a file ) to establish the VID/PID and then apply those numbers to the newer existing VKBDevCfg configuration?

Please, your advice would be most appreciated.

fallout9

Re: How to Check and Set VID and PID for VKB Gunfighter Mk.III Modern Combat Edition

Postby fallout9 » Mon Feb 21, 2022 7:37

Drano

Re: How to Check and Set VID and PID for VKB Gunfighter Mk.III Modern Combat Edition

Postby Drano » Mon Feb 21, 2022 15:59

I had this problem with an older game where it just wouldn't see my gunfighter as the stick because of the order windows used. I tried unplugging all my controllers and plugging them back in using different orders but nothing worked. I think it had to do with the space ahead of the ID name. Why that's there, I don't know. I found this little app that lets you change the order of controllers a game uses. Check it out. Instructions in the link.

https://github.com/briankendall/devreorder
Gunfighter MkI w/MkIII update + MCG-Pro Grip
Avia S Cams
2x #30A Springs
FW:v2.13F
Devconfig: v92.78
Zbootloader: v2.01

Asus Strix X570-E Gaming
Ryzen9 5800X3D
Asus Strix 3080 12GB
32GB Corsair Vengeance PC3600
EVGA G6 1000W
Reverb G2V2
Win10/64

Dallas88B

Postby Dallas88B » Thu May 19, 2022 16:51

In case someone reads this post.
"using VKB software VKBDevCfg can I see and therefore change the current VID and PID setting?" - No

I ended up using third party software USBDeview to view all installed connected USB devices on my system http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/usb_devices_view.html. Its very detailed and easy to sort.

Using this USBDeview I was able to sort my devices by the column for the VID. Then looking at VID (the Vendor Identification Number 231d is VKB's number) and deleted old entries that had different old disconnected PID's to the current active connection recognized by DCS.

So how do I avoid this problem in the future?
Not really sure.
Certainly in DCS in options/controls on the DCS site do a "save profile as" to set aside a copy of the .lua file containing all the button mapping for each controller - worst case you can restore from this if needed.
Also I have been told its best to use USB ports on the motherboard (this is what I do for the SIM controllers), failing that on a USB 4 Port USB 3.0 PCI-E Expansion Card. Use an Active USB Hub or then a passive hub as a last resort.
Finally, I have also been told to avoid unplugging / replugging controllers from the PC, especially into different USB ports, as this can result in a different PID being assigned.

Return to “Manuals and Howtos”