Programming flap lever for SEM

Moderator: AdminGroup

Widget

Programming flap lever for SEM

Postby Widget » Wed Dec 22, 2021 3:07

I'm hoping someone knows how to program the flap lever for SEM in the following way.

Sim is IL2 Great Battles.

V key = Flaps down (holding key down = continuous extension, release key = stop extension)
F key = Flaps up (holding key down = continuous retraction, release key key = stop retraction)

Physical control is the flap lever fitted with the 4 detent rachet.

Detent 1 = Flaps 0 stage
Detent 2 = Flaps 1 stage
Detent 3 = Flaps 2 stage
Detent 4 = Flaps 3 stage

To extend flaps:
Move lever from Det 1 to 2 = V key for 1 sec then stop key input
Move lever from Det 2 to 3 = V key for 2 secs then stop key input
Move lever from Det 3 to 4 = V key for 3 secs then stop key input

To retract flaps:
Move lever from Det 4 to 3 = F key for 3 secs then stop key input
Move lever from Det 3 to 2 = F key for 2 secs then stop key input
Move lever from Det 2 to 1 = F key for 1 sec then stop key input

While I know how to identify the 4 physical buttons in the configurator, I don't know how to program the logical buttons to produce the V and F keys (and hold down durations) when the lever is moved in the down and up directions respectively.

Does anyone have an idea if this can be done at all?

ZERO_Thunder

Re: Programming flap lever for SEM

Postby ZERO_Thunder » Wed Dec 29, 2021 12:30

I think you are talking about Macro function?
Please check the NJoy32 Family Controllers Configuration Utility User guide Chapter 7.Macro setup
https://disk.yandex.com/i/hNGSx2IuoAbhOg

Bambers

Postby Bambers » Wed Dec 29, 2021 16:23

For logical buttons to keyboard is easy, just need to select that logical button, set to keyboard and select the desired key from the drop down (or just press it)
However, do check the Keyboard option under the Global/Common Tab, it's 'OFF' by default I think. 'Classic' should do for your needs.

For specific duration pulse you can set the button to type 'Generator' on the physical layer. Type 'GT' should work and activate the logical button/keyboard key for only the time you set.

The rest may not be easy, I'm not quite sure what duration you want. If you want the same duration regardless of where the lever is (i.e. each detent you move it one way you want a second of retraction, each detent the other way a second of extension) then the easiest way is probably to override the default axis2buttons setup of that axis. This can be found under Profile/Axes/Axes2Buttons. I don't own a SEM but i'm figuring it uses the 'zones' mode. If you change this to 'Edges1' this will change the behaviour such that it triggers one button when moved up and a second button when moved down, you can then set those buttons as generators and keyboard keys as above and that should work.

Though note that the movements likely won't 'stack', i.e. if you move from fully down to fully up in one go it's not going to queue up all 4 seconds of keypress you'd have to move, wait a second and so on.

If you want different durations per detent (I think you do if I'm reading your post correctly) then, whilst its entirely possible I'm missing something obvious, I can't see any way of doing this without resorting to some fun in the 'Booleans' tab. You'd either have to use edges1 mode and use some logic to keep track of where the flaps lever is, or 'zones' mode and use some logic to figure out which way the lever moved.

Widget

Postby Widget » Fri Dec 31, 2021 14:39

ZERO_Thunder wrote:I think you are talking about Macro function?
Please check the NJoy32 Family Controllers Configuration Utility User guide Chapter 7.Macro setup
https://disk.yandex.com/i/hNGSx2IuoAbhOg

Thank you for your suggestions. I have used the somewhat challenging manual to program as few generator functions. But success for the 4 detent flap setup still eludes me. The problem is how to generate the V key (extension) when moving the lever downward from one detent to another; and to generate the F key (retraction) when moving the lever upward from one detent to another.

Widget

Postby Widget » Fri Dec 31, 2021 14:43

Thank you. I think you're correct about using the Edges1 command. I did attempt this but was unable to work out the correct way to program the V key (extension) when the lever is moved down from one detent to another, and the F key (retraction) when the lever is moved up from one detent to another. The manual is challenging to understand!

Return to “Manuals and Howtos”