Using a hat as a trim button, relative axis and absolute axis ( MCG ultimate)

Moderator: AdminGroup

Galwran

Using a hat as a trim button, relative axis and absolute axis ( MCG ultimate)

Postby Galwran » Fri Dec 17, 2021 22:53

Hi,
I would like to program the "Master mode" hat to have two modes:

1) Absolute axis values and produces button presses when pressed front/aft left/right (so that I can use it for Skhval in Ka-50 and also to trim the Hornet)
2) Relative axis (with the ability to center the axis with a button press, with double click, etc)

I am pretty sure that this is possible, but I pretty much a beginner when it comes to VKB syntax. Please help :)

fallout9

Re: Using a hat as a trim button, relative axis and absolute axis ( MCG ultimate)

Postby fallout9 » Sat Dec 18, 2021 0:44

This would work, but only if you have a HAT switch installed in GateCont position; we need 2 extra axes for your setup, so if you have a ministick on GateCont this won't work.
1. In Boolean section create 2 new lines, sending in first the Physical Button 34 to Physical Button 41, then in second to Physical Button 42 (photo 1, 2);
2. In Buttons/Physical layer Click on the uSSw cell and set it up as TempoB (photo 3);
3. Then click on the physical button 41 cell and set it up as AUX Axes, functioning as Switch, with Source 3 to Target 5 (photo 4);
5. Same for button 42, but this one gets axis Source 4 to Target 6 (photo 5);
6. In Profile/Axes set up axes 3 and 4 as Absolute and axes 5 and 6 as Relative; you could adjust their settings depending on your preferences (photo 6);
7. Press Set to save. Now you'll have POV as default; short press on center button will activate the relative axes 5 and 6. Long press on center push button will switch to absolute axes 3 and 4; short press on the center button will switch to relative axes 5 and 6.

1.png

2.png

3.png

4.png

5.png

6.png

Galwran

Re: Using a hat as a trim button, relative axis and absolute axis ( MCG ultimate)

Postby Galwran » Sat Dec 18, 2021 9:29

Hey this is excellent, thank you sir!

Now I just have to figure how to produce button presses in the first mode sot that I can bind them to trim the hornets trim in DCS.

fallout9

Postby fallout9 » Sat Dec 18, 2021 10:05

POV mode not good for that?

Galwran

Postby Galwran » Sat Dec 18, 2021 11:46

I don't get them to register in DCS and don't see any action in the tester of the VKB device configurator.

Should I change the POV type?

Also, for some reason the functions are currently the following:

When the wide mode led is on, a short press swiches between:
1)RotZ and Slider 1 in relative mode
2) Rotx and RotY functions in absolute mode

When the wide mode led is off, a short press switches between:
1)RotZ and Slider 1 in relative mode
2) RotY function in absolute mode, RotX does nothing

fallout9

Postby fallout9 » Sat Dec 18, 2021 20:37

If you followed the walkthrough exactly, then you should have as follows:
1. by default (when the joystick just got plugged in/ computer turned on), the ministick is in POV mode; a short press on the center button would have both POV and axes 5 and 6 working;
2. a long press on the center button of the ministick (red LED on) puts it in axes mode: the POV mode is off and axes 3 and 4 are working; a short press will turn off axes 3 and 4 and turn on axes 5 and 6.
3. a long press on the center button will turn off the LED and go back to point#1.

Galwran

Postby Galwran » Sat Dec 18, 2021 21:13

Here is my cfg and the device report.

Obviously I might have missed something, but I did try the instructions several times.
It is especially weird that when the wide red led is off, the rotX does nothing.

The stick is brand new, the only difference from out of the box is that I moved the Gatecont ministick to the master mode slot and put a regular hat in place of gatecont.
Attachments
profile_povs.png
profile_buttons.png
profile_axes.png
profile_boolean.png
buttons_test.png
galw.zip
(117.05 KiB) Downloaded 75 times

fallout9

Postby fallout9 » Sat Dec 18, 2021 21:28

Not sure what's happening there, I could see the POV type set up as 13bit, which don't know where it comes from and there could be other stuff that's making issues.
Load this profile and calibrate afterwards. You'll have to calibrate the ministick in both absolute and relative mode.
Attachments
1.zip
(2.11 KiB) Downloaded 73 times

Galwran

Postby Galwran » Sat Dec 18, 2021 22:57

I tried and it didn't work. In DCS, only the pov up direction works. Maybe I am doing something wrong? What would be the best way to test?
Attachments
pov2.png

fallout9

Postby fallout9 » Sat Dec 18, 2021 23:13

That was happening when I load your profile, the POV stuck on Up position for some reason.
Press the Default button under Tools tab, then load the profile I sent again and recalibrate afterwards.

Galwran

Postby Galwran » Sun Dec 19, 2021 10:41

It works, excellent!
Now I will just have to fine tune it, for example so that the POV buttons activate later in the travel of the hat so that I do not trim in two ways at the same time.

fallout9

Postby fallout9 » Sun Dec 19, 2021 19:46

For that you could increase de deadzone (DZ) in Profile/POVs.

Return to “Manuals and Howtos”