SEM advanced button configuration help

Moderator: AdminGroup

bravoleader

SEM advanced button configuration help

Postby bravoleader » Thu Dec 09, 2021 14:31

Hello everyone.
I'm a proud owner of a gunfighter, a gladiator and a SEM.
I'm trying to set my SEM as a flight console for scanning and mining capabilities in Star Citizen.
I had some great help from Fallout on setting up the basics and I have kind of got to a place that I like (although not perfect).

I have some questions which I'd love to get an answer to
1) Is it possible to build some logic around a button/led so that I can say "if the led is RED change it to green" (or viceversa)
2) I have implemented a generator on the rotary switch to switch between modes in star citizen which kind of works. IT gives the pulse when needed but I would need a pulse also when moving out from the position.
Is this doable?
3) Can I associate a "SHIFT" behavior on that pulse so that when I move the rotary on position 4, I get a shift pulse thus I can assign a different behavior to some buttons and when I move out from that position I give another pulse of the same button so I disable that shift and activate whatever comes next?
Thanks for any answer guys, you rock!

F

Alan Dallas

Re: SEM advanced button configuration help

Postby Alan Dallas » Thu Dec 09, 2021 16:46

This can be done using the Toggle function.
On the 4 Position Mode Switch of the SEM you can set buttons 53 through 56 to Toggle. Uncheck the "2 buttons" Box. Doing so will give you a "Button Press" When you move in and out of that Mode Switch position.

I've attached examples of how I run the Mode Switch for Mining Operations in Star Citizen.
53(Mode Pos 1) Toggles Mining Mode On/Off when moved out of or in to that Position. I think of it as the "Normal Operation" Position. Mapped to Mining Mode Toggle in game naturally.
54(Mode Pos 2) Set to No Function, it's just a resting spot for the Switch. This I think of as Mining Mode ON.
55(Mode Pos 3) Toggles between Mining Mode to Extraction Mode. Moving back to Mod Pos 2(Button 54) toggles Button 55 and returns it to Mining Mode.
56(Mode Pos 4) No function currently but I set it to a Generator so it's not always registering as being Pressed.
Don't forget to Click SET after you make changes.
Hope this helps
Attachments
NXT Profile.JPG
Toggle.JPG

bravoleader

Postby bravoleader » Thu Dec 09, 2021 17:31

Thanks a lot @alan Dallas, really appreciated!
I was able to successfully activate the various modes which is already awesome.
The problem right now is that I would need this switch behaviour to activate a momentary shift which is disabled when I move out from the switch position.
Do youy know if there's a way to obtain this?
Basically I need to have a different button being registered if the rotary switch activates a specific mode while keeping tghis toggle behavior as it works perfectly with SC toggle mode

F

Alan Dallas

Postby Alan Dallas » Thu Dec 09, 2021 17:58

I would probably use the Macro Feature in VKB Device config. Set the Action Type to Keyboard and choose the Shifted key combo SC uses in it's KB mapping. Under Logical Layer set the Button to the Macro # that you set up.
Chapter 5 of the User Manual(linked as a PDF in this Sub forums Pinned topics area) covers Macro Assignments more in depth.

bravoleader

Postby bravoleader » Thu Dec 09, 2021 18:40

Let's discuss the problem and let's see if we can find a solution cause maybe my solution is not the best one.
In Star Citizen, when you activate a "mode" like mining etc, you can have some keys doing some actions like activate the consumables.
I have assigned the 3 consumables to B1 b2 and B3
At the same time I have assigned B1 b2 b3 to switching on/off engines, lasers, shield.
I thought then when entering in mining mode I could just press B1 and have it behaving for the mining mode behaviour , instead it does indeed use the consumables but it also switches on/off the components of the ship which is not my expected behavior.

In order to fix this I was thinking about using the rotary switch to activate the mode, at the same time create some sort of shift behaviour so that I could map b1 b2 b3 to other logical buttons and use them for the consumables.

If I set the rotary switch to shift, I can definitely change the b1 b2 b3 to be other logical buttons, is works well but I can't "activate" the mode because the key stays pressed while I would need a kind of pulse as you've suggested which works perfectly for that but does not give me the "shift" behaviour to have more keys.
I'm not sure the macro key would be the best approach here. Not sure if someone else has a different view and/or a different solution

fallout9

Postby fallout9 » Thu Dec 09, 2021 21:26

Pretty sure the Shift on the Mode selector would get you there, why do think it wouldn't work?
I use the SEM too as a mining device in SC, plus some landing and take off controls on it.

bravoleader

Postby bravoleader » Fri Dec 10, 2021 1:44

If I set the mode selector (button 16 in my case) as shift, it stays "pressed" and the mining mode is not activated

bravoleader

Postby bravoleader » Fri Dec 10, 2021 1:59

This is my setup for the buttons if I use the rotary selector as shift and if I do this and in Star Citizen I use 16 to enter the mining mode...it just does not work. I would be really curious to see how it works with you
Attachments
buttons.JPG

fallout9

Postby fallout9 » Fri Dec 10, 2021 4:02

Is the Track as Button box checked on Shift on button 16?

bravoleader

Postby bravoleader » Fri Dec 10, 2021 4:15

yes it is so I can map it in Star Citizen.

F

fallout9

Postby fallout9 » Fri Dec 10, 2021 7:32

I made some tests and it seems you can't switch to mining on a permanent pressed button and Shift won't stay active on a short pressed button... I'll still look into it as soon as they fix those ghost unmineable boulders, drives me nuts :)).

bravoleader

Postby bravoleader » Fri Dec 10, 2021 11:24

But isn't it possible to reproduce the "shift alternate" behaviour on a short pressed button or make it so that the button on the rotary does not stay pressed?

fallout9

Postby fallout9 » Fri Dec 10, 2021 20:07

Unfortunately no, Shift works either on a permanent press or on a ghost press.

bravoleader

Postby bravoleader » Sat Dec 11, 2021 5:41

I see. Well with the "toggle" I can use the rotary to switch the mode. I just need to map the keys elsewhere :)

Return to “Manuals and Howtos”