Bought a second joystick - how can I keep BOTH "registered"

Moderator: AdminGroup

OBrandenburg

Bought a second joystick - how can I keep BOTH "registered"

Postby OBrandenburg » Thu Dec 02, 2021 12:43

Hi there
Sorry, maybe it was my bad, but I couldn't find an answer to this:
I just got my second stick (MCG Ultimate in addition to the F-14 on Gunfighter Mk III).
I can swap the sticks ("cold" - USB disconnected while changing) and then have to flash the "new" one (each time) - but isn't it possible to keep both "registered", so it will be recognized with all its settings right after swapping (without the flashing procedure)?
Can't imagine that this can't be done...
Thanks
Oliver

Drano

Re: Bought a second joystick - how can I keep BOTH "registered"

Postby Drano » Thu Dec 02, 2021 16:29

Nope. Can't be done. At least not as the firmware works currently. The firmware is configured to certain pairs of base and grip. You have to flash the right firmware so the base knows which grip is plugged into it. Switch grips? Got to flash again.

I seem to remember some talk of a universal firmware that would allow exactly what you want to do but haven't heard anything to that affect in a while. Perhaps one of the VKB gurus can chime in about that?
Gunfighter MkI w/MkIII update + MCG-Pro Grip
Avia S Cams
2x #30A Springs
FW:v2.13F
Devconfig: v92.78
Zbootloader: v2.01

Asus Strix X570-E Gaming
Ryzen9 5800X3D
Asus Strix 3080 12GB
32GB Corsair Vengeance PC3600
EVGA G6 1000W
Reverb G2V2
Win10/64

OBrandenburg

Postby OBrandenburg » Thu Dec 02, 2021 19:08

Thanks for your reply!

Too bad! But at least I now know, that I am not missing anything here...

Guess I'm not the only one with more than one grip, so something like a common firmware would be great not only for myself but others, too....

If one of the mentioned gurus would give their view, that would be much appreciated.

Thanks again

fallout9

Postby fallout9 » Thu Dec 02, 2021 20:57

Under the Firmware section on the developer's website you'll find the NG firmware, which is different from the public version XT. That would allow to swap grips on a base+BB without reflashing. It is still highly advisable to have a dedicated profile for each grip which would contain at least that grip's calibration, as the grips have different weights and angles and you'd need them calibrated before use.

OBrandenburg

Postby OBrandenburg » Fri Dec 03, 2021 13:03

Understand... And I will see if can/not get used to that flashing-procedure after changing grips.
I must say that after flashing my F-14 grip when I got it, I haven't used the VK Device Conf much any more - so I am not really familiar with this software.

I have taken a look into the link, you provided - thanks for that! Can you give me directions to which version might be the right one for me? In the NG-folder I can find a "Black Box Mk II..."-vkb (which does not seem right for my Mk III-application) and three folders with different versions of NGs. In the latest (2_06_8) folder I can find a "BlackBox GF Multidevice" - guess that's the one, correct?

Thanks again!

Return to “Manuals and Howtos”