Rotary Knobs for Altitude/heading on VKB Gladiator NXT

Moderator: AdminGroup

SantasGolfClub

Rotary Knobs for Altitude/heading on VKB Gladiator NXT

Postby SantasGolfClub » Mon Jul 26, 2021 9:07

Hi guys,

Brand new user here. I'm on Flight Simulator 2020, and would like to know if there is a guide or tutorial on how I can assign a rotary knob (next to the little throttle) to change my heading selection. I'm hoping that as I spin it down (So, top downwards), I can make my heading selection go backwards - and then the opposite if I spin it upwards.

In real life, as you spin it faster, the heading seems to change faster. So if you're on heading 000 in the box, and I spin it quite fast, it can get to 180 pretty quick, and as you slow down, you can fine tune to 187, for example. Is this at all possible? Or do you just need to spin faster, and that's that (which is acceptable). Just wondering for ALT. If I need to get it from 0ft, up to 36000 feet, that's a lot of spinning. Was hoping it can amplify faster movements, and then as you slow down, it allows fine tuning.

Any help and advice would be amazing.

nkerns

Re: Rotary Knobs for Altitude/heading on VKB Gladiator NXT

Postby nkerns » Thu Sep 02, 2021 0:37

Hey there...just saw your message, and was wondering if you ever figured out how to program the rotary encoders? I'm using MSFS and would like to set them up to adjust Altitude and VS on the autopilot. If you have any wisdom to share, it would be most appreciated. Thanks!

SantasGolfClub

Postby SantasGolfClub » Thu Sep 02, 2021 1:13

It was actually quite easy. I just asked it within FS. The issue is - there’s a delay. So when you spin the rotary to move from, say 0 to 90, and stop spinning - it sends commands for a while later and the in game heading goes past 90 all the way to 180! So it’s as if the stick sends a command - then waits. Then sends. Then waits. So what you see on the screen is delayed. Hope I’m explaining it right. But you always spin way past what you want to get to

nkerns

Postby nkerns » Thu Sep 02, 2021 4:25

Thanks! Right after I posted my reply above, I decided to try exactly that, and it works perfectly! Interestingly, I don't seem to have the lag you're experiencing; it's very responsive, and I can dial it in in fine amounts with no issue. I wonder if it might be a system performance issue? I have a reasonably fast PC with 32 GB of RAM and an RTX 2070 graphics card.

SantasGolfClub

Postby SantasGolfClub » Thu Sep 02, 2021 4:48

I’m on a 3080. It feels to me like it sends the scroll up command and the. Maybe a 100ms delay. And then the next scroll up command. Fine adjustments is fine. But if you rotate 180 degrees, when the display hits 189 degrees - I stop scrolling - but the UI continues to move for a while.

nkerns

Postby nkerns » Thu Sep 02, 2021 6:50

What control(s) are you experiencing this with? Altitude and heading? I'm doing Alt & VS and both work fine. Sorry you're having the issue, that sucks.

Bambers

Postby Bambers » Sun Sep 05, 2021 13:12

I had the same thing. In the config software, under the globals settings, reduce the T_Enc value. If you go too low though it seemed to miss clicks altogether, I think I have mine at 15ms

Return to “Manuals and Howtos”