Setting up/Assembling a new Gundifghter Mk3

Moderator: AdminGroup

IAmLordeYaYa

Setting up/Assembling a new Gundifghter Mk3

Postby IAmLordeYaYa » Tue Jul 06, 2021 20:52

Hi so i decided to get myself some sim equipment and ordered me a Gunfighter Mk3 with a Kg12 grip, no extension, i initially thought setting it up wouldnt be too hard but i find myself completely overwhelmed by all the stuff that came with and the instruction manual that came with wasn't really helpful what so ever. Does anyone have a videolink to a setup guide for me? i'd appriciate any help.

fallout9

Re: Setting up/Assembling a new Gundifghter Mk3

Postby fallout9 » Tue Jul 06, 2021 20:58

At this moment there's nothing else to do other than mount the grip on the base (like here, with a different device, but same procedure), plug everything in, calibrate your device (like here, but skip the firmware flashing part as it's not needed on new devices), bind the controls in your game.
After a while, if you think you need other type of cams or stronger springs you could check this guide. And of course, you could ask anything here if you're not too sure about something.

IAmLordeYaYa

Postby IAmLordeYaYa » Tue Jul 06, 2021 21:17

Really? but there are a ton of screws and other stuff in a bag that i will need to use to setup everything, is there no video that shows all this? Sorry i'm a total noob when it comes to all of this :)

fallout9

Postby fallout9 » Tue Jul 06, 2021 21:21

As I said, don’t worry about the extra parts now, you just need the fastener to secure the grip on the base at this moment. Rest of the parts you could start experimenting after you’ll get used to your new joystick.

Dingo

Postby Dingo » Thu Oct 21, 2021 20:11

I'm in the same boat. Just purchased a Gunfighter Mk III Ultimate and am shocked at the lack of documentation/videos detailing instructions for noob initial assembly, especially since it's their top-of-the-line product.

How does the joystick get attached to the extension? Is it screwed in?
How does the joystick/extension then get attached to the base?
Which screws are used to attach the base to the bottom plate?

How does it connect to a PC? What is the additional hardware box - I presume it gets attached to the base and USB then goes to the PC?

fallout9

Postby fallout9 » Thu Oct 21, 2021 20:36

About that 'lack of documentation/videos': here's the 131 pages manual on programming the Black Box (yup, the link was only 3 threads higher :)). Also, here's our official YouTube with over 70 videos on adjusting, programming, fixing, operating our hardware and software.
Please check these videos that might help you with your issues:
- attaching a grip to a base: first, second (attaching a grip to an extension and an extension to a base works exactly the same, as it's the same connector);
- attach the base plate;
- swapping the modules on the MCGU;
- MCGU tips and trips;
- regreasing the dry clutch (don't need to do this more than once in a year or 2 and only if you want super smooth dampers);
- adjusting the GF base - changing cams and springs and adjusting dampers;
I hope the question "How does it connect to a PC?" was just rhetoric.

Grimnir

Postby Grimnir » Fri Nov 05, 2021 14:36

Dingo wrote:I'm in the same boat. Just purchased a Gunfighter Mk III Ultimate and am shocked at the lack of documentation/videos detailing instructions for noob initial assembly, especially since it's their top-of-the-line product.

How does the joystick get attached to the extension? Is it screwed in?
How does the joystick/extension then get attached to the base?
Which screws are used to attach the base to the bottom plate?

How does it connect to a PC? What is the additional hardware box - I presume it gets attached to the base and USB then goes to the PC?

I was in the same boat as you when I recieved my stick in june, I was super-overwhelmed... but that is probably more due to the fact that this MK3 was my first high end stick ever, and I was super worried of breaking it. But I can assure you that it is not as scary or as complicated as it initially seems, and before you know it you will be adding extra springs and changing out cams like a pro. The Youtube-videos are very usefull.

Personally I landed on 2x20 springs on each axis with no extension, and it has been working fine for me for almost 6 months. Don't worry to much, it is a very sturdy bit of hardware. Also: it is important to fasten the grip properly, it took a few tries before I got the hang of it.

MisterMann

Postby MisterMann » Sat Jan 22, 2022 0:03

THANK YOU for this thread.

I got the MCG Ultimate for Christmas and, like others, found myself in over my head in terms of assembly and setup. I went to YT for some help and found none. Yes, I looked at the VKB channel and didn't see what I was looking for. What's a #20 spring vs. #10 or #40? What are the different cams for? I presume I can locate this information once I look harder, but for the $$ we pay for these, I expect to have it included in the box or at least a link to a "what do I do now that I opened the box" type video. :roll:

Minor complaint in the grand scheme of things - I am a tinkerer at heart, so I'll figure it out. Appreciate others going through this pain before me and posting here. It has, thus far, made my journey much less frustrating.

Thanks!

HunterTD

Postby HunterTD » Tue Oct 18, 2022 23:38

Just received my new Gun Fighter 3 with MCG Ultimate and I have to say, it is absolutely pathetic how little information there is on how to set it up the first time. The "quick start guide" in the box has a few pictures that are not NEARLY descriptive (or clear enough) to use to set it up. I'm sure many people purchasing this are very tech savvy and can figure this out on their own, but unfortunately I am not one of them.

I have tried searching for videos or guides and have not found anything that explains how to setup your GF3 for the first time, including how to connect the grip. Earlier in this thread, what I assume is an employee, said just attach the base to the plate and then the grip to the base, and then you can customize the options later when you understand more. As if simply saying "just attach it dude" is in any way helpful to someone that DOESNT already know how to attach it.

I was warned while researching which stick to go with that VKB customer service is terrible, but unfortunately I didnt heed the warning and now here I am. At this point I have everything boxed back up to return to VKB and will be most likely purchasing a VIRPIL stick, I just hate that I didnt go with them first. If I am going to pay as much money as I am for this "premium" product, then I expect there to be the necessary resources available to actually make it work, even if I am a non expert in the field.

Maybe there is some corner of the internet or VKB website that I can find this information, but I certainly havent found it.

EDIT: FOR ANYONE SEEING THIS POST IN THE FUTURE, THERE IS A GREAT STEP BY STEP PHOTO GUIDE ON IMGUR THAT I WAS LINKED TO ON THE VKB DISCORD THAT EXPLAINS HOW TO SETUP EVERYTHING THE FIRST TIME. I WISH I HAD THE LINK TO POST HERE ON MY LAPTOP, I MAY ADD IT LATER
Last edited by HunterTD on Wed Oct 19, 2022 1:27, edited 1 time in total.

fallout9

Postby fallout9 » Wed Oct 19, 2022 1:04

Have you checked this post? If there's any more info that you'd require please let me know.

HunterTD

Postby HunterTD » Wed Oct 19, 2022 1:31

That video may show how to reattach the grip, but no one is going to find that as you have to get deep into the title to find it. VKB is clearly unable to provide a setup guide for the Mk3 even though I found a response of yours that said the guide would be out sometime in the future, but that was 2 years ago...

The lack of a Mk3 guide is absurd in my opinion, luckily some 3rd parties have been willing to make up for VKB's failures and created their own guide.

fallout9

Postby fallout9 » Wed Oct 19, 2022 2:01

I'm sorry, what are you talking about? The guide is made for GF MKII, as clearly stated on its cover, see below.
What 3rd party had provided more complete info than us?
Attachments
Screenshot 2022-10-18 155646.png

HunterTD

Postby HunterTD » Wed Oct 19, 2022 2:39

As I said and you conveniently ignored, the title of that video doesnt say anything about attaching a grip until you get 3 lines into it. No one would see that while searching for help, they would see its a video about adjusting cams and springs and move on. Even on that picture you just posted it doesn't list attaching a grip as part of the video. You just happen to reattach the grip at the end of the video, this isn't a video made to show how to attach a grip. And I was referring to the post from 2 years ago where you say you will be updating the Mk2 manual for the Mk3 once VKB sends you a Mk3, but I guess that hasn't happened?

Thankfully I came across an Imgur photo guide on how to setup the Mk3 for the first time, and it was FAR more helpful than any official VKB guide or video I've seen. So I guess some rando on Imgur provided better

This may be an enthusiast product, but if you have any interest in customers who may be purchasing their first "premium" level stick, you should at the very LEAST provide something as simple as a manual.

fallout9

Postby fallout9 » Wed Oct 19, 2022 2:46

GF MKI, MKII and MKIII have similar procedures for attaching the grips to the base. I'm sorry this was at the end of the video and not positioned exactly where you were hoping it'd be (even though the common sense dictates to first adjust the base, then seat the grip afterwards).
And yes, I can assure you, we really desire to offer our customer a step by step procedure for all our products, so they could benefit from all the features provided. The thick manual and the plethora of videos we're providing is my argument. Could you indicate another company that provides more?
Just for my curiosity, a link to the other more complete guide?

blatherman

Postby blatherman » Wed Oct 19, 2022 2:50

HunterTD wrote:Just received my new Gun Fighter 3 with MCG Ultimate and I have to say, it is absolutely pathetic how little information there is on how to set it up the first time. The "quick start guide" in the box has a few pictures that are not NEARLY descriptive (or clear enough) to use to set it up. I'm sure many people purchasing this are very tech savvy and can figure this out on their own, but unfortunately I am not one of them.

At the very tippy top of the "quick start guide" that comes with the stick there should be a QR code that links to the appropriate videos. At least there is on the EVO QS guides.

Return to “Manuals and Howtos”